• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Compressing a Blu-Ray Ripped Movie

Tiesto

After ripping a blu-ray movie to my hdd using anydvd-hd, I would like to convert the resulting "stream" directory into say a Apple Quicktime format, so I can run a compression tool on it to get a 44gb file down to 25gb or less to burn to a single layer bd-r. Problem is I haven't seen any decent tools that will open or convert the Sony properitey format.

I am really hoping someone out there is working on a tool to remove all the extra garbage from a blu-ray disc, and compress it down to the largest possible size that will fit on a single layer blu-ray disc.

Please Slysoft, get us an updated version of CloneDVD that can handle this, just as it currently handles standard DVD's. Surely if you can figure out how to remove the restrictions, you can easily handle this task. How about it?!

After ripping a blu-ray movie to my hdd using anydvd-hd, I would like to convert the resulting "stream" directory into say a Apple Quicktime format, so I can run a compression tool on it to get a 44gb file down to 25gb or less to burn to a single layer bd-r. Problem is I haven't seen any decent tools that will open or convert the Sony properitey format.

I am really hoping someone out there is working on a tool to remove all the extra garbage from a blu-ray disc, and compress it down to the largest possible size that will fit on a single layer blu-ray disc.

Please Slysoft, get us an updated version of CloneDVD that can handle this, just as it currently handles standard DVD's. Surely if you can figure out how to remove the restrictions, you can easily handle this task. How about it?!

CloneDVD2 is an Elaborate Bytes product. You should make this request at http://www.elby.ch/products/clone_dvd/index.html.

.. and got a cryptic reply that they can not comment one way or another. They answered, but didn't give me an answer that was useful...

.. and got a cryptic reply that they can not comment one way or another. They answered, but didn't give me an answer that was useful...

Reading between the lines, it sounds like they're working on it.

I know there's been a lot of debate over the issue of recoding HD content but I think I have a valid reason to do so. The blu-ray disc "Holiday" is 40.2 GBs. If you look at this movie, there's no way it needs to be that size to preserve the original quality.

I suspect that this may be a conscious effort to make it more expensive to extract a disc to a hard drive and subsequently burn a backup copy to disc.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like they're working on it.

I know there's been a lot of debate over the issue of recoding HD content but I think I have a valid reason to do so. The blu-ray disc "Holiday" is 40.2 GBs. If you look at this movie, there's no way it needs to be that size to preserve the original quality.

I suspect that this may be a conscious effort to make it more expensive to extract a disc to a hard drive and subsequently burn a backup copy to disc.

How was the Blu-ray disc "Holiday" encoded?

I'm not sure. If you can give me the details on how to find out, I will check.

I suppose that it would depend on what application you are using to play your Blu-ray media.

PowerDVD 6.6 / 7.2 / 7.3 should be something like:

Right click play field and select “Show Information” from the pop-up menu when the movie is playing. It should show up in the upper right hand side by default.

For example the King Kong HD DVD that came with my Xbox 360 HD DVD is a VC1 encoded disc. Different encoding methods my have different results with respect to overall size.

I suppose that it would depend on what application you are using to play your Blu-ray media.

PowerDVD 6.6 / 7.2 / 7.3 should be something like:

Right click play field and select “Show Information” from the pop-up menu when the movie is playing. It should show up in the upper right hand side by default.

For example the King Kong HD DVD that came with my Xbox 360 HD DVD is a VC1 encoded disc. Different encoding methods my have different results with respect to overall size.

The codec for 'Holiday' on blu-ray is MPEG-4 AVC.

For comparison, the file size for 'Superman Returns' on blu-ray is 26.9 GB (VC1) and on hd dvd is 27.4 GB (also VC1).

Last edited:
Back