• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Need help understanding all this video stuff

Dr_F

I hope someone can help me. I'm new to copying videos and can't quite understand all of the different "standards". I've used AnyDVD and 1Click DVD Pro to copy many of my home DVD's with great results. I've been able to copy 99 percent of all the DVD's I've tried with my PC running Windows XP. The copies can be played in any computer or DVD player I've tried without a hitch. Until now! My company recently switched to Mac OS 10.4 and I got a Mac Powerbook with an Intel CoreDuo processor. However, none of my copied DVD's will play in my Mac, but the originals will play just fine???!!!

I've tried to "Google" an answer and I'm more confused than ever. All the MPEG-2, 3, 4, etc. AVI, NTSC, PAL, Quicktime, RAM, mumbo jumbo is quite confusing for the novice. I have a feeling that somewhere in this murky soup is why my DVD movies won't play on my Mac, but I can't seem to see the forest for the trees. Any help you could give me or send me to a website that will help would be most appreciated. Also, does this mean I'll need a separate ripper software for my Mac and then make more copies of my DVD's???

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein

Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited:
Welcome to Apple's world. There are a couple of programs that will let make MAC and XP play together. You can Google them or wait for someone to tell you where to get them.

I'm not sure why a Mac wouldn't be able to play a standard DVD. DVDs, without exception (as far as I know) use only the MPEG-2 video compression. No need to worry about MPEG-4, which is only used on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. AVI is only a container... which means it can contain video of many different types (eg. MPEG-2, MPEG-4, etc.). Quicktime doesn't really have anything to do with DVDs, either... it's Apple's own container format, which can consist of quite a variety of types of audio and video information. NTSC and PAL (and SECAM) are different types of video signals... if you're in the Americas (or Japan), you really only need to worry about NTSC. However, I'm pretty sure most computer monitors are capable of PAL, as well.

Thanks TM2 and oldjoe for the help and explanation.

I have "Parallels" (I think "boot camp" is the other one) which runs Vista as a virtual machine, but the video quality sucks-------- "on board" video card with 64M memory! It did however keep the DVD drive from just spitting out the disk and did play it. Once the DVD copy was loaded, it would play under Mac's DVD player, with much better quality. Original DVD's play fine, just my copies made with AnyDVD and 1 Click DVD had the problem of not loading. I still can't figure out why the DVD copies won't stay in the drive running Mac OS? I guess I'll have to load them under the VM and then switch back to OS 10 to play them until I can figure it out.

least of your worries

Guess thats just the newest thing on the block. Just wait till you go buy a dvd player, here in Canada the chips are just flying. Prohibited ccs is all you will find with may of the new players. Couldn`t beleive it from the $300.00 recorders to the $39.00 players ....****** I say!

Last edited by a moderator:
....******* I say!

Please use civil diction in your posts. Thank you. While I appreciate what you wrote wasn't overly offensive, I occasionally
get people complaining to me about swearing in general.

Last edited:
Back