• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

clonecd to copy dual layer dvd's

jhkilroy

I read somewhere about clonecd and double layer dvd's and it being able to copy 1:1 - just curious is this a better way then clonedvd ? Something about layer breaks or something.....

I read somewhere about clonecd and double layer dvd's and it being able to copy 1:1 - just curious is this a better way then clonedvd ? Something about layer breaks or something.....

Clonecd will preserve the original layer break position when using Verbatim +R DL media. Clonedvd2 will not preserve the original layer break position.

Is that just with verbatim and why does this make a difference where the break is?

1. Clonecd can preserve the original layer break when using +R double layer media only. "When Dual layer DVDs are copied to DVD+R DL media, the layer break position of the destination disc will be exactly at the same location as the source disc; this does not work with DVD-R DL media, because DVD-R DL media has a fixed layer break position"--from Clonecd's history log)

2. Verbatim +R double layer media (made in Singapore) is the only double layer media worth using. Everything else, so far that I've encountered, is inferior (and often by a large margin).

3. Clonedvd2 is a transcoder based application and cannot preserve the original layer break position. Shrink can't. Nero Recode can't either.

2. Verbatim +R double layer media (made in Singapore) is the only double layer media worth using. Everything else, so far that I've encountered, is inferior (and often by a large margin).

what rot.i agree verbatim are an excellent disc.but i have being using bulkpaq dvd+r dl discs without any problems.they are not in the slightest inferior to verbatim.as long as you stick to BRANDED quality discs,you shouldn't encounter any problems.

i have being using bulkpaq dvd+r dl discs without any problems

I can use many other brands of +R DL discs, and they will work. However, the burn quality on those discs is inferior to the burn quality produced on Verbatim +R DL discs (Singapore), by countless burners in countless tests. When burn quality is inferior, the disc's playability will also degrade faster. Futhermore, the Verbatim +R DL discs are also contructed better. What I'm stating here is not debatable; it's fact.

I suggest you do some research first.

Clonecd will preserve the original layer break position when using Verbatim +R DL media. Clonedvd2 will not preserve the original layer break position.

Now for the followup question ...

Does this matter ? .... Also if clonecd is doing a 1:1 I assume its also copying the dvd protection as well so the copy is 100% like the store bought right down to the rip protection ? So I guess the last part of the question would be why would I chose this method over clonedvd ? Is there a benefit ? Can it handle bad sector protection ?

I know I am asking a lot of questions I'm just trying to understand clonecd a little better when it comes to its uses for dvd's and dual layer's.

Now for the followup question ...

Does this matter ? ....

It's up to personal preference, I guess. If you use Verbatim +R DL discs with Clonedvd2, it should still work. I know James feels quality media is more important than where the layer break position is.

Do you like where the original layer break position is? Does it occur where there isn't much going on (and where the transition doesn't distract you)? Some players may pause when switching to the other layer. Does the pause occur in a place that doesn't bother you? If the answers to these questions are "yes", then Clonecd is a better choice.

Also if clonecd is doing a 1:1 I assume its also copying the dvd protection as well so the copy is 100% like the store bought right down to the rip protection?

No. Anydvd removes the protection. So, it's not a true 1:1 copy in that sense. In fact, if you choose "remove annoying adverts and trailers" in Anydvd, then a Clonecd produced copy will not playback the copy in the same manner as the original.

So I guess the last part of the question would be why would I chose this method over clonedvd ? Is there a benefit ? Can it handle bad sector protection ?

James is of the opinion the layer break position is placed randomly on commercial discs. I don't know if that's true, but it probably is, at least now. One would hope though that is placed in a good position.

What I do know is that, at one time, people were having problems with Clonedvd2 in certain cases with DL media on certain titles (right around the layer break). James believes using quality media is more important than the position of the layer break.

Based on personal use, I've had less issues using Clonecd and preserving the original layer break position than when using Clonedvd2. But again, if you use Verbatim +R DL media (made in Singapore), Clonedvd2 should work relatively well. You just won't be able to preserve the original layer break position.

I hope my response here helps you.

Last edited:
If you did not use anydvd with clonecd would it copy the protection ?

Not that I would do this I am just curious....

Sorta like " Drive In " for the mac ?
http://www.flip4mac.com/drivein.htm

This program throws the whole disc 1:1 on your hard drive I guess to stay legal...

If you did not use anydvd with clonecd would it copy the protection ?

No. Clonecd wouldn't work in this case. Clonecd requires Anydvd to backup movies.

However, your question is valid because Clonecd will copy the protection when backing up games.

Last edited:
I can use many other brands of +R DL discs, and they will work. However, the burn quality on those discs is inferior to the burn quality produced on Verbatim +R DL discs (Singapore), by countless burners in countless tests.
i'd love to see the results of these test....is there a link to a web page to back this up?
When burn quality is inferior, the disc's playability will also degrade faster. Futhermore, the Verbatim +R DL discs are also contructed better. What I'm stating here is not debatable; it's fact.
hmmm...i thought recordings on most dvd recordable discs where 'supposed' to last 100 years.
you're obviously a bit verbatim fan.nothing wrong with that though.

i'd love to see the results of these test....is there a link to a web page to back this up?

To support that other brands of +R DL discs are inferior to Verbatim? Visit the blank media forums at Cdfreaks, crlabs, afterdawn (this site had a really bad review of Bulkpaq -R orange stuff, and other people had horrible scans of other discs sold by Bulkpaq over there, iirc, but I appreciate that's not the +R DL line), etc.

I'm not going to start researching links for you. Just visit those forums. Many people do scans of their burns and post them.

That said, I do know that Bulkpaq DVD+R DL blanks are using CMC codes, and I think they are really made by CMC. So, you shouldn't get horrible results using Bulkpaq DVD+R DL (I would expect decent results), which is more than I can say for other Bulkpaq products. Keep in mind though that Verbatim requires a higher standard than what CMC generally produces for other companies (Verbatim uses tawain CMC on its normal +R line, for example).

Bulkpaq uses fake TY codes for other media in its line, and a lot of other Bulkpaq discs have produced horrible results.

But I wasn't just referring to Bulkpaq.

hmmm...i thought recordings on most dvd recordable discs where 'supposed' to last 100 years.

Not if the disc degrades and oxydizes . . .
"100 years" is little more than a marketing claim.

you're obviously a bit verbatim fan.nothing wrong with that though.

No. I only use what I believe to be good media. Verbatim (MBIL) and Verbatim (Prodisc) I do not generally recommend.

And Verbatim is switching from Singapore to India for its +R DL line, and, in my opinion, the jury is still out on that move.
I am cringing at the thought of it, actually, but it might not be that bad.

Last edited:
Back