• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Copy Errors for New Released DVD's

rbaron

I am having copy errors when trying to backup:

Happy Feet
The Pursuit of Happiness

I am using the latest versions of Any DVD (6.1.3.3) and CloneDVD (2.9.0.3)

The reader I am using is the DVDRom that came with the computer (HP Pavilion a1140n)

The program ClondDVD stops at VOB 7 and I have a choice to try again or abort.

I am using quality media and have been successful many times in the past. I think this backup business is a hit or miss kind of thing. I can say I can't back up a title and 15 others will leave a message saying that they had not had a problem.

To answer all the questions, for me, is impossible because I am not sure what all the jargon means. I will in the future do the best I can when asking for help by putting in as much info I can.

Anyone else having trouble with these two titles?

Thanks.....

Last edited:
I am using the latest versions of Any DVD (6.1.3.3) and CloneDVD (2.9.0.3) also and had no problems

just did both of the movies had no problem with anydvd and clonedvd

Happy Feet
The Pursuit of Happiness

I am having copy errors when trying to backup:

Happy Feet
The Pursuit of Happiness

I am using the latest versions of Any DVD (6.1.3.3) and CloneDVD (2.9.0.3)
to clarify,are you having problems (with clonedvd2) when creating files or is the problem writing files to dvd media?
(if you are having problems when clonedvd is creating the files,then your choice of writable media is irrelevent at this time).
i've backed up at least 70 dvd's in the past 3 years since i got my first hp laptop.the hp laptop i'm using now is nearly a year old and both haven't failed once when creating a back-up copy.i think you're right about it being hit and miss kinda thing.some information i'd like to know when people post problems like this is what type of pc they are using-laptop,desktop bought from a shop,a desktop they built themselves?i seem to get the impression most people's problems occur when it's a put together myself affair and maybe certain types of hardware aren't compatible with other bits of hardware?it would be interesting to find out.

Last edited:
Mike20....

I am having problems ripping the DVD. It goes so far and then gets a VOB error. Also sometimes it will try to write to a disk, when it gets that far and the screen will say, erasing, then go into the write process and then try to write to the dvd and I'll get a bad media error. Looking at the dvd I can see that some of the dvd has been written to.

I use good media and have used several types in a row all with the same problem.

It may be my writer but I have to ask if anyone else has problems so I can try to narrow down what is wring.

Thanks for responding....

if you haven't already done so,try defragmenting your hard drive in case there's a problem with dvd files being written all over the hard disk (click start>all programs>accessories>system tools>disk defragmenter).this may not be causing the problem (a fragmented hard drive) but it's easier for your pc to read a continuous file instead of searching for fragments of files that are written all over the place on the hard disk.
also as far as writing to blank dvd media is concerned,is the laser lens clean and free from dust and grime??maybe it needs a bit of a clean-this may improve the writing to dvd media process.
try writing to +/- RW discs so that if the copy fails you haven't wasted media (RW discs can be reused :) )

some information i'd like to know when people post problems like this is what type of pc they are using-laptop,desktop bought from a shop,a desktop they built themselves?i seem to get the impression most people's problems occur when it's a put together myself affair and maybe certain types of hardware aren't compatible with other bits of hardware?it would be interesting to find out.

I started a thread trying to gather those very facts but it was hijacked off topic immediately with opinions instead of facts. It has been my experience, as a PC repair person, that most people that have burning (and countless other) problems are using store bought PC's......... mainly because they are in the majority. Home built, if built properly, will suffer from less problems than store bought units. The main reason for that is all the useless trash software that is pre-installed on boughten PC's. I am running 4 PC's (all built by myself) in my household now and I never have any problems making backups (a little over 1100 now) of my movies. I sometimes make 20 or more burns without defragging or performing any kind of clearing or cleaning.
Good hardware-Good Media-Good software are the keys for successful burning.

I agree with Joe. In addition to all the reasons he outlined, I'd also say that home builders are a little more tech savvy subset of the population.

-W (built them all from 386sx and up)

ok heres the problem

I had the same thing happen to me! All you have to do is instead of copying the whole movie(menu and extras) just copy the movie only. When I copied the whole thing I kept getting the error too but then I backed up the movie only and it went through with no problem.

I did defrag my drive.

I have successfully copied the two videos mentioned above. I have not watched them to see if there are any skips, freezes or whatever else I have had problems with.

Wish me luck.....

Mike20....I am having problems ripping the DVD. It goes so far and then gets a VOB error.
Is the original's disk surface flawed or brand new? At first I was going to suggest what davidstjohn suggested; that you should try the movie only, but I reconsidered because you said the rip "stops at VOB 7" which is well into the movie and is probably not a problem with one of the extra titlesets (... but I could be wrong). It would have to be a pretty long "extra" to have a 7th VOB. It just sounds more like a surface scratch or flaw problem with the original.
Also sometimes it will try to write to a disk, when it gets that far and the screen will say, erasing, then go into the write process and then try to write to the dvd and I'll get a bad media error. Looking at the dvd I can see that some of the dvd has been written to.

I use good media and have used several types in a row all with the same problem.
This is a classic error message resulting from a bad choice of media or the firmware of the drive not being updated to have a writing strategy for the media you are using. This part of your question is quite different from the VOB read error question of your first post. So far you have (tactfully?) avoided naming the media your are using. Could you tell us what blanks you are burning to? As well as the drive make and firmware version.

It may be my writer but I have to ask if anyone else has problems so I can try to narrow down what is wring.
Do you have both a ripper drive and a burner drive on your system? If so try your rip using the drive you use for burning instead of the DVD-ROM ripping drive. Some drives are just better at getting a good read on certain difficult originals. I suppose, in the end, it may be that you need a new drive.

Best regards,
Whisperer

Last edited:
The blank disks I use are Taiyo Yuden + and - R. I do have a ripper drive and a burner drive. I also have an HP external DVD burner that I sometimes use.

Can anyone suggest a good way to clean the dvd burner and ripper?

Thanks for the help....

Last edited:
I tell you what. I discovered AnyDvD and CloneDVD last year and decided to try them. Using a Dell Inspiron B-130 laptop XP-OS with a Sony DVD Writer I was only able to make one copy of one movie while creating 25 coasters. I kept getting the same message "Media Error" and all the research I did with googling "Media Error" did not help. I even got some help from the Slysoft staff, but could not get it to work. I was using quality disk!!!

A year later I bought a used pc running Windows 2000 and added a $43 LG 18X DvD DL writer. I downloaded AnyDVD and CloneDVD and I have been able to backup almost 40 dvd with only two coasters. Those two coasters were created when I had my AntiVirus going along with ZoneAlarm while backing up. Since then I shut down ZoneAlarm and AntiVirus and have not had any problems at all. So I actually think, my opinion, that it is the DVD Writer that makes the difference.

FG

Mike20....

I am having problems ripping the DVD. It goes so far and then gets a VOB error. Also sometimes it will try to write to a disk, when it gets that far and the screen will say, erasing, then go into the write process and then try to write to the dvd and I'll get a bad media error. Looking at the dvd I can see that some of the dvd has been written to.

Thanks for responding....

I did defrag my drive.

I have successfully copied the two videos mentioned above. I have not watched them to see if there are any skips, freezes or whatever else I have had problems with.

Wish me luck.....
have you watched your movies yet?did they work ok?

Good point.

The used pc that I purchase only had Windows 2000 Pro with very little extras. Have not had any problems burning at "high speed" using my LG 18x DVD DL writer.

FG

Back