• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Maxell 16x DVD-R Media not working

Big_Bruce

Hello. I own an IBM ThinkPad with an internal NEC 6500A DVD burner. I downloaded the latest firmware which allows me to burn -R media. My problem is that HP 16X DVD-R media will burn, but Maxell 16X DVD-R media won't. What gives? I just purchased the Maxell 100 pack on sale. Thanks!

My problem is that HP 16X DVD-R media will burn, but Maxell 16X DVD-R media won't.

First...Maxell media is not good.
You have -R listed as will and won't burn?
That DVDRW is listed as accepting + and - media so I would guess it doesn't like the Maxell. You could also try a firmware update and try some Verbatim.

First...Maxell media is not good.
You have -R listed as will and won't burn?
That DVDRW is listed as accepting + and - media so I would guess it doesn't like the Maxell. You could also try a firmware update and try some Verbatim.

Hey OldJoe. Thanks for the info! Yep........ HP DVD-R's burn, but Maxell DVD-R's won't. CopyDVD2 says that the Maxell media is incompatible & to
insert a writable disk. I'll try changing the firmware.

Hey OldJoe. Thanks for the info! Yep........ HP DVD-R's burn, but Maxell DVD-R's won't. CopyDVD2 says that the Maxell media is incompatible & to
insert a writable disk. I'll try changing the firmware.

I think CopyDVD2 is trying to tell you that the Maxell media is the problem. :D
A firmware update might allow you use the Maxell discs but that is not solving the issue. Get some quality media and your life will be simpler.:agree:

i use maxell dvd-r 16 times and i have copied over 600 of my movies and never had problem

i use maxell dvd-r 16 times and i have copied over 600 of my movies and never had problem

And there are exceptions to everything. I hope your copies w/Maxell are still watchable in a few years.

media error

hi. when the movie finished downloading and i put in a blank memorex dvd+rw 16x. i got a media error pop -up have advise. i own a dell lap-top inspo.1501. is it the blank media or the lap top itself. please help giving up hope already. been working on issue 3 weeks since purchased.:bowdown:

hi. when the movie finished downloading and i put in a blank memorex dvd+rw 16x. i got a media error pop -up have advise. i own a dell lap-top inspo.1501. is it the blank media or the lap top itself. please help giving up hope already. been working on issue 3 weeks since purchased.:bowdown:

That is a newer model so I assume that it will accept +RW media. Have you tried a different brand of media?

Maxell the brand name or media with MAXELL or MXL media codes?
- Maxell the brand can be almost anything lately. From Ritek to CMC to Prodisc. These are the "made in Taiwan" discs and are not at all suggested.
- Maxell the media, manufactured by Maxell and "made in Japan" should be excellent media, but it can depend on which burner you're using.

Maxell the media, manufactured by Maxell and "made in Japan"

Won't be the easiest stuff to find . . .

And "made in Japan" with the words "Maxell" don't necessarily indicate the media was actually made by Maxell at all. (Most of Maxell's commercial junk is made as you noted in Taiwan; this stuff does tend to be junk to varying degrees, although not all of it is bad . . . but really media codes would be useful here.) You see, Maxell's Japanese production has been reduced to such an extent that Maxell appears to be making its own media in Japan for its high end lines--for example, the Broadcast Quality line, which is, generally, not found for commercial sale (the only place I know of off the top of my head that sells it to the public in North America is NCIX.com). The Maxell Plus line has now been outsourced to Taiyo Yuden. So if you buy the Maxell Plus line, you now run the risk of buying slightly pricey TYs (TYG02s)--and not media made by Maxell. That said, The Digital Dolphin, who you stated was acting like a childish teenager or something akin to that, notes the Maxell Plus line is now "made by Taiyo Yuden but with better quality control than `Premium' Taiyo Yuden these days". So chances are Maxell Plus media is still very good (and one reason I still recommend it).

If you happen to be able to find old stock of the Maxell Plus media, consider yourself lucky.

Last edited:
New Maxell news . . .

from http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4952256&postcount=4301

The Digital Dolphin said:
Well, I have some good news... I *JUST* received word from Maxell today that they plan to return their Plus Series 8x DVD-Rs to their own Japanese plant production. I don't know when the new product will be showing up in North America (or specifically Canada), but it's something to keep an eye on. As for NCIX and DirectCanada.com, if the White Thermal's are now TYG02, then probably all media for both stores are TYG02.

In the mean time, the Maxell BQ is all MXLRG03, and the highest quality 8x DVD-R you can probably find anywhere (although you'll pay for it!)

I think CopyDVD2 is trying to tell you that the Maxell media is the problem. :D
A firmware update might allow you use the Maxell discs but that is not solving the issue. Get some quality media and your life will be simpler.:agree:
Old JOE, I"ve been using Maxell DVD R+,I thought it was me.I got Fuji Dvd +. Think I'll have any problem with these. Thanks ,barrybrinker This is my first post ,sorry about all caps in your name.

My maxell's arent working either...

Yes, but yours aren't the expensive Maxells that were made in Japan by Maxell.
The Maxell Plus and Maxell Broadcast Quality lines are excellent. In fact, at the moment,
most of the Maxell Plus line is made by Taiyo Yuden (but I prefer when they are made
by Maxell in Japan).

Just saying "Maxell" is pretty meaningless because Maxell doesn't make all of its media.
Other companies do. And the generic, widely available Maxell stuff, in general, isn't very good.

Last edited:
Old JOE, I"ve been using Maxell DVD R+,I thought it was me.I got Fuji Dvd +. Think I'll have any problem with these. Thanks ,barrybrinker This is my first post ,sorry about all caps in your name.

Fuji (Made in Japan) are good media but they became unavailable in my area. They were replaced with the Made in Taiwan ones. I stay with Verbatim........no issues.

Back