• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Explanation of difference between burned dvd and commercial dvd

lfp2

A while back I complained that burned DVD's were hanging up when I tried to play them. There were various suggestion about what to do to fix the problem. Mostly to get better quality DVD's. That was a good suggestion but I had quite few in stock of the other ones and wanted to use them up. I found that washing the disk I got from from Netflix seemed to fix the problem. I've been able to play the half dozen or so without any problems so far. Today in the Seattle Times Newspaper Peter Marshall gave an explanation about CD's which might be of interest to some of Slysoft users. This might not be of interest to a lot of you but I found it interesting so I have reproduced part of his article for you to read Hope you find it of interest.

Have a nice day
-------
Peter Marshall answered
A: Since you refer to the "shading" on the disc it seems you know about the difference between commercially produced CDs and "burned" CDs.

Just in case — and for the benefit of readers who may not know — I'll go over the difference anyway: Commercially produced CDs are produced like old-fashioned vinyl records, with a machine cutting pits and grooves in the plastic that are later "read" by a laser scanning over the surface.

Burned CDs created on a PC employ a different process. With burned CDs, lasers create a pattern in a layer of dye on the disc. The pattern in the dye is later read by a laser.

Commercially produced CDs can be read by virtually any CD player, unless they are too scratched or the CD drive is too dirty. With burned CDs, unfortunately, the results are much less certain.

The dyes used in a given brand of recordable CDs work better with certain drives than others. So the CD you burn on your computer may or may not be readable on someone else's computer or on a car CD player.

The first thing to do is to make sure that the CD drive in your computer is clean. You can try blowing a little compressed air into the drive to clear out any dust.

If that doesn't work, you might try a cleaning disc, available at your local electronics or music store.

If the drive is clean and you're still encountering the problem, it may just be that your drive doesn't work so well with the dyes used in certain brands of discs.

Finally, it is possible the laser in your CD drive — or in the drive that burned the CD — might be slightly out of alignment. In that case, results won't improve until the unaligned drive is replaced.

Hope to be notified of answers

I forgot to check to be notifed of replays so will check the box now.

A while back I complained that burned DVD's were hanging up when I tried to play them. There were various suggestion about what to do to fix the problem. Mostly to get better quality DVD's. That was a good suggestion but I had quite few in stock of the other ones and wanted to use them up. I found that washing the disk I got from from Netflix seemed to fix the problem. I've been able to play the half dozen or so without any problems so far. Today in the Seattle Times Newspaper Peter Marshall gave an explanation about CD's which might be of interest to some of Slysoft users. This might not be of interest to a lot of you but I found it interesting so I have reproduced part of his article for you to read Hope you find it of interest.

I disagree with most of this article, as all CD's / DVD's which have been successfuly burned have worked on every computer / dvd player / console at home and abroad. The CD stamping factories may not even use a very high grade of CD and who knows what brand they use and where they are sourced from as this info is not usually made visible to the customer. To put it bluntly if the CD's were stamped out of spec (not adhearing to the redbook standard) then these simply would not play in most equipment or even be recognised. Also none of my dvd's or cd's have ever hanged on any equipment ever.

Additionally with DVD stamping factories, they use DL discs as well, but again no one knows the brand, but whether the disc is burned in a laptop or in a factory it comes out the same way. Naturally if the discs are poor quality good luck on having a reliable backup. Im sure there are ways to track down / find what media is made where - some apps do this. But, all up I've had no issues with any media at all - I use to use TDK DL discs, but find Verbatim DL actually cheaper and Made in Singapore.

Sounds reasonable

I've always liked TDK even when I was using a lot of Cassette tapes, TDK is made by Ritek at the moment. But it might be the different dye's as mentioned in the article that was causing my previous problem. Who knows. I don't know anyone who has enough scientific stuff to do a good analysis of disks. Anyway the marketed name might come from a different manufacturer when their current contract runs out.

Have a nice day

Back