• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

It is really Illegal?

Happy user

Hi, I am anyDVD user, I have been told by some friends that i have to be cautious with this type of software because it is illegal and can go to jail. Have we heard of any user having problems in the US for using these type of software?
:confused:

The way I heard it is. It is legal to backup discs you own for your own personal use. But, it is illegal to use any software to break the copy protection.

Well, let me see if I understand. If I am going to make a copy of a DVD y own I have to break the protection isn't? otherwise how i am going to be able to copy it?. Please explain.
So what is the difference of making a copy for my personal use from a DVD I own or from a DVD I rent, or a DVD from a friend?

The way I heard it is. It is legal to backup discs you own for your own personal use. But, it is illegal to use any software to break the copy protection.

In the US....Copying your purchased discs, for any reason, is "somewhat" of a gray area but basically it is illegal to reproduce any commercial disc.
As for "going to jail"........that is not very likely unless you are reproducing the commercial discs and reselling them.

If I am going to make a copy of a DVD y own I have to break the protection isn't?

Yes. The DMCA makes it illegal to circumvent copyprotection to backup your dvds, and this supersedes your right to make backups in the United States. However, I find it unlikely anyone would prosecute you and win for making a backup of something you legally own.

So what is the difference of making a copy for my personal use
from a DVD I own

This is legal, until you attempt to circumvent the copyprotection measures that are on the disc in the U.S. Again, I find it unlikely that someone would prosecute you for making a backup of what you own--despite the fact that strictly speaking, it's illegal in the U.S.

or from a DVD I rent

This is illegal in the U.S. and always has been.

or a DVD from a friend?

This is illegal in the U.S. and always has been.

Back