• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] Movie Will Not Play

psgolfer

I've been here for awhile but left when I started having problems playing movies that "ripped to hardisk".

I have since installed Virtual Clone Drive and have re-engaged this hobby. That being said, I am able to create an image file, but I'm having problems playing it with Power DVD.

The movie tries to load but is stuck on the spinning disc and then that stops spinning (I hope that made sense). PDVD will just stay on the that screen and not move forward. I have tried going to first play and top menu, neither works:

Summary for drive K: (AnyDVD 6.5.6.8)
ELBY CLONEDRIVE 1.4
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Blu-Ray disc.

Total size: 20872224 sectors (40766 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: WATCHMEN
Media is not AACS protected.
Can't determine region code!
Blu-ray Java signatures fixed!

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Which version of PDVD and does your PDVD support BD? And is it activate? Sometimes a simple reset of the computer solves a lot of problems. :)

Everything is fine with BD playback. As mentioned, I used to be able to "rip to disk" and play no problem. I am currently testing using ADBEAR's method of ripping video to disk and using image burn and then mounting the movie.

I'll know in about 20 mins if it works for me or not.

What version & build of PDVD? and is your Java up to date?

Watchmen: Director's Cut (Region A) poses no issues whatsoever.

Summary for drive W: (AnyDVD 6.5.6.9)
ELBY CLONEDRIVE 1.4
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Blu-Ray disc.

Total size: 20872224 sectors (40766 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: WATCHMEN
Media is AACS protected!
Removed AACS copy protection!

A protected ISO mounted using Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.3.4 beta with AnyDVD HD 6.5.6.9 beta running in the background removing only the AACS on the BD works perfectly. This is an MKB 12 disc and poses no special problems.

1. CyberLink PowerDVD7 7.3.4617: Playback is fine.
  2. CyberLink PowerDVD8 8.0.3017b: Playback is fine.
  3. CyberLink PowerDVD9 9.0.1719: Playback is fine.
  4. Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 3.0.1.140: Playback is fine.
  5. Corel WinDVD9 Plus BluRay 9.0 DXVA B14.132 (March 2009 update): Playback is impossible due to a broken DTS decoder.
  6. Corel WinDVD9 Plus BluRay 9.0 DXVA B14.137 (July 2009 update): Playback is fine. The DTS decoder has been fixed although it isn't listed in the release notes.

For what it's worth, I have the Java JRE version 6 Update 14 (build 1.6.0_14-b08 ) installed which is the absolute latest official release.

I tested with BD-Live disabled using AnyDVD HD, as well, and the playback was still fine.

Last edited:
right click in PDVD, choose 'about' then click on your name in the 'registered to' section, the build number is in there

Last edited:
7.3.3104.0 Is the version and build.

I haven't upgraded in a long time since they took away the ability to access movies via folders.

7.3.3104.0 Is the version and build.

I haven't upgraded in a long time since they took away the ability to access movies via folders.

Watching movies from a folder is simply out-dated. Not updating in order to keep that ability will cost you in other ways and it just isn't worth the price.

Then I'm not surprised it doesn't work, you're using a build that's about 2 years old and doesn't support newer Blu-ray structures properly. The last build that supported playing from folder was build 3319a and even that is around 18 months old and doesn't support newer JAVA discs.
If you want folder support then upgrade to TMT 3 or make your folders into ISO's (following my guide for folder structures) and mount them in VCD

Thanks for your guidance and help. I did download TMT3 trial. Program told me that my video card would not support video overlay and to upgrade drivers. NEXT...........I downloaded the trial for PDVD 9.

Fired it up, and voila, there it was!!!! Movie playing just fine.

Thanks again for all your help. Is there a direct link that I can just upgrade my PDVD 7.3 to the latest build or do I need to buy PDVD 9?

Suggestions???? Thanks

Thanks for your guidance and help. I did download TMT3 trial. Program told me that my video card would not support video overlay and to upgrade drivers. NEXT...........I downloaded the trial for PDVD 9.

Fired it up, and voila, there it was!!!! Movie playing just fine.

Thanks again for all your help. Is there a direct link that I can just upgrade my PDVD 7.3 to the latest build or do I need to buy PDVD 9?

Suggestions???? Thanks

Go to the Cyberlink update page and download the latest v7.3 update. If you have an OEM version then yuo need to download the OEM update.

I really cannot recommend PowerDVD9. If you can update v7 then I'd strongly suggest staying with v7.

Go to the Cyberlink update page and download the latest v7.3 update. If you have an OEM version then yuo need to download the OEM update.

I really cannot recommend PowerDVD9. If you can update v7 then I'd strongly suggest staying with v7.

Why do you not recommend the V9? Why is 7.3 better in your opinion? Cheers.

Why do you not recommend the V9? Why is 7.3 better in your opinion? Cheers.

There are improvements in sound and video with regard to PowerDVD9. In that sense PowerDVD9 should be better however CyberLink has actively made changes to the software which have broken it more than they've fixed bugs. All of the Blu-Ray software players have to get a license to handle the media.

The BDA (Blu-ray Disc Association) requires licensees to adhere to certain things. It is my belief that the BDA leans on companies to get them to make copying Blu-Ray discs harder as well as protecting the protections mechanisms for the media, itself. CyberLink has continuously released buggy updates that make playback of Blu-Ray movies more difficult when either ripped to the HDD or when watching with AnyDVD HD running in the background. This appears to be a clear intent to make things harder but it's always possible they are merely coincidental. Nonetheless, CyberLink introduces more bugs in their updates than they do bug fixes.

PowerDVD7 is lean by Blu-Ray software player standards. It starts up quickly and it works. PowerDVD9 starts up and actually freezes my system for maybe 10 seconds. I would be shocked if it was scanning my system for capabilities and other things when the freeze occurs. Playback has become problematic with some discs refusing to play from the actual Blu-Ray drive with an error message that virtual devices aren't allowed. This is occurring because of AnyDVD HD. Slysoft has found a solution for this with the PowerDVD9 workaround in the AnyDVD HD settings and it should only be used when necessary.

Long story short, PowerDVD7 is faster, leaner, and less of a headache. PowerDVD8 and PowerDVD9 have gotten even more bloated and more bug riddled.

If given a choice between two Blu-Ray software players I would select PowerDVD7 and Arcsoft TMT3. TMT3 is light, lean, and fast as well as stable on my system. The benefit of TMT3 over PowerDVD7 is that PowerDVD7 is a dead product and we can't expect to see many updates for the product. TMT3 is actively developed and while Arcsoft leaves a bit to be desired in terms of software updates they offer a far faster, leaner, functional program.

Thanks for the DETAILED reply. I did go to the cyberlink website and upgrade my OEM version to the newest V7.3. Movies played without a hitch.

I don't really want to spend another $100.00 on a newer version of PDVD, so as long as 7.3 works, I'm happy with it.

I did notice my receiver like the audio codecs with V9.0. So until it's absolutely required, I'll hang tight with V7.3.

Strange though that TMT 3 did not like my PC. I do have NERO SHOWTIME HD but they seem to have abandoned updates for that product.

If you look back a few months ago you'll see that I hated TMT as it caused my systems to reboot all the time. Now I'd recommend it to anyone over PDVD. Most of my problems were caused by having AVG on at the same time. I uninstalled AVG, installed TMT then reinstalled AVG and everything worked (I've since dumped AVG and moved to Win 7 with no issus at all)
As to the graphics driver issue, did you have another player open in the background? I've had this message when PDVD has popped up automatically and started playing and I then try to use TMT

Last edited:
Back