• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

SlySoft Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm happy for those that want CloneBD. The days of jukeboxes are over and manually swapping discs is so 90s. The new thing is digital storage. And since there already exists for a way to store movies on a NAS using AnyDVD HD, my circle would not need CloneBD. However; I believe we can all agree that we ALL need a competent BD player.

No one's arguing against the idea of SlyPlayer. Just against the idea that it's going to be released tomorrow to solve everyone's problems. :) I will happily switch to SlyPlayer when it's released, but, until we have some idea of when that'll be I'm not really thinking about it as a solution to my problems. And to be frank, neither should anyone else. Slysoft is known to deliver quality software and it's understandable why everyone's excited about it...including me. But the dose of reality is that nothing we do or say on this forum is going to change the release date for it. And since it's not available, it's not worth considering right now.

one might reasonably wonder at this point why the announcement was made so prematurely.

And that's the rub. If you want to fault Slysoft for anything, fault them for wanting to create some buzz and exitement by letting us know what they have planned down the line.

As it stands after reading all of these variations on "Are we there yet", i think there policy should be to not announce new products until a release candidate version of the code is available. Then that MIGHT please those who think that a simple product development announcement automatically means that they must have it now.

Call me a realist, but my family will still eat tomorrow and the sun will still shine even though we don't yet have slyplayer. What will i do until then you say?? Oh, i don't know....use the players i have been using (TMT, PDVD) and patiently wait until SlyPlayer is released so i can throw the others away.

Anyboby want to bet that when Slyplayer is released that some will no doubt complain that it was released to quickly if it has more than a couple bugs??

If Slysoft didn't announce that Slyplayer was in development people would still be nagging Slysoft to create a software player. Polls would be posted (which are now against English forum posting rules, thankfully), and people would be consistently bothering developers here (and, also, me in private messages).

And now, of course, people want the player to be released, yesterday. So, really, it's a no-win situation for Slysoft. And I can't see how throwing small sums of money at the problem is going to help, even if it were a commercial product (and it's not). Slysoft would need to hire more developers to speed up development. Developers can cost a fair bit of change. Hiring more developers for what is, ultimately, a freeware product, to me, anyway, doesn't make good business sense.

Slysoft told me the super secret release date.

Drumroll, please . . .

Wait for the answer . . .

attachment.php

Last edited:
Also, I have no clue when Slyplayer will be released, so there's no point sending me private messages. I know as much as anyone in this thread knows (except for the developers).

Let's review a few things and use some extremely simple logic:

1. CloneDVDmobile is based on the same new Chameleon engine that will be used in CloneBD.
  2. The CloneDVDmobile update will be released before CloneBD which has no ETA.
  3. The new CloneDVDmobile has been released but is currently going thorough a debugging process as seen by the reported issues thus far.
  4. Fernando is the developer for CloneDVDmobile and CloneBD. Take a look at his signature in every post he makes.
  5. If Fernando is working on the issues with CloneDVDmobile this may put a hold on some of the CloneBD work as the issues are resolved.
  6. CloneBD will be released before SlyPlayer ever is. This has been stated by at least one developer and I believe it was James.
  7. SlyPlayer will be free while CloneDVDmobile and CloneBD are not.

So, the CloneDVDmobile update has been released but CloneBD hasn't yet been completed. I wonder why SlyPlayer isn't out yet.

Seriously, people, it'll be done when it's done and there are a number of high priority items on the developers' lists. Given the timeline already stated do not expect SlyPlayer to just miraculously be finished tomorrow. On top of everything else the program will be free. Be happy!

People bugged Slysoft about making their own player and they hadn't planned on it. They finally decide to and stated they would but that it would be down the road. That ended the people begging for Slysoft to do it. Now they should have held off on saying they were going to release a player? People would complain that they had wasted money on a player in the meantime and would have waited had they known Slysoft was developing one. So, this is a lose-lose situation for Slysoft.

Plain and simple, wait until it's done. Hounding and pestering the Moderators and developers is not going to speed the process up.

Last edited:
Whether the release was 2 weeks or 2 months or 2 years from now doesn't REALLY matter today. .............................. Until a release date is given or the product magically appears for download on their site, it's by all definitions irrelevant. ................................
I currently use MPC as a player and I'm reasonably satisfied with it, but I think Slysoft would produce a significanlty better player and that is why I visit this thread. It is comments like the above that compel me to respond. Sorry.

I believe you when you say that a possible 2-year wait shouldn't (or doesn't) really matter to you, and I can also (increasingly) believe that a possible 2-year-in-the-future release date doesn't really matter to Slysoft, but it certainly is not irrelevant to this customer (in the sense that a weather forcast is not irrelevant, but, in the case of the player's release date, less so).

But let's please face reality. It is Slysoft that made the release date "relevant" by its announcement of its intention to produce a player.

This particular customer has never begged, pleaded with, or hounded anyone at Slysoft, but had Slysoft indeed wanted to shut up all those money-weilding beggars, pleaders and hounders, all it would have had to do in March is (regardless of its true intent) announce that it would never produce a player, and, if public or private nagging was such a problem, at that point politely, but firmly, ask customers to stop requesting it.

In short, if you don't want the dog to beg at the table, don't throw it even the occasional bone.

Had that been done, I think that there would have been some short-lived mumbling and grumbling, but this oh so horrible "truth" would have eventually sunken in and, except for the occasional re-offense by the uninitiated newbie, silent acceptance would now be the soup of the day and this thread would not exist.

Although there may be disagreement over whether such an announcement would have commenced something that is more or less desirable than what has actually transpired, I think that one would be hard-pressed not to agree that it is only after the former that the (secret) release date would be truly "irrelevant" to its blissfully-unaware future users.

Of course what's done is done, but "important" posters should have learned by now that "when it's done, it's done" will not put the genie back in the bottle. If anything at all, I suggest that DrinkLyeAndDie's post is a good example of a more effective route for Slysoft to take. If people are kept informed on the player's progress, even if there might not have been any for days, weeks, months, or ever, at least people will better understand what's going on.

I've had my say about the player of the future, but I would also like to take this opportunity to commend Slysoft for the fantastic software that it has already produced and religiously supports. Keep up the good work, guys.:clap:

It is Slysoft that made the release date "relevant" by its announcement of its intention to produce a player.

Developers announce that they will produce something all the time. They do not announce specific release dates--nor are they required to just because an announcement that something is being developed is made. I can list numerous examples.

This particular customer has never begged, pleaded with, or hounded anyone at Slysoft, but had Slysoft indeed wanted to shut up all those money-weilding beggars, pleaders and hounders, all it would have had to do in March is (regardless of its true intent) announce that it would never produce a player, and, if public or private nagging was such a problem, at that point politely, but firmly, ask customers to stop requesting it.

Stop requesting it. :policeman:

Last edited:
You still miss the point. In the end, even though they've announced their intention to work on it, TODAY, TOMORROW, a MONTH FROM NOW, you STILL can't use it. So in that regard it IS irrelevant. Until the product is released and you can use it, speculating about it is pointless. As I said before, we can say whatever we want in this forum about it, but, it won't change Slysoft's mind one bit on whether they announce future products or not, give us updated information on what's going on behind the scenes, and finally when the product will be available. Trust me when I say this...nothing you say here is going to change any of that. :) Unless you don't plan on watching any movies until SlyPlayer is released, then the announcement means absolutely nothing to you in your ability to play movies today. That is the point.

If anything at all, I suggest that DrinkLyeAndDie's post is a good example of a more effective route for Slysoft to take. If people are kept informed on the player's progress, even if there might not have been any for days, weeks, months, or ever, at least people will better understand what's going on.

I was in no way meaning that Slysoft should post regular reports on the progress of SlyPlayer to keep us all abreast of the current status. I was just re-stating what has already been said by Slysoft and, I'd be willing to bet, that most people have been too lazy to read since the statements were garnered from many different posts.

Slysoft is a company that is developing numerous important projects. All of them will make our lives easier. The SlyPlayer won't be out until other projects are completed and that is just a simple fact.

Last edited:
High hopes, Low expectations

With SlyPlayer, there seems only one thing certain: It will not contains artificial restrictions on the playback of the audio and video.

For everything else, I adopt a policy of high hopes and low expectations.

I hope for it sooner and expect it later.
I hope the video decoding is world class, I expect adequate quality.
I hope the audio decoding is world class, I expect adequate quality.
I hope that video scaling will be efficient and high quality and configurable, I expect it will scale proportionally to fit the video raster of the target monitor.
I hope for easy external control, I expect control by simulated keystrokes.
I hope for universal compatibility, I expect some incompatibilities (bugs not restrictions).
I hope it will completely replace the other three players that I occasionally have to use, I expect there will be cases, at least initially, where I will have to fall back on a commercial player.

Whenever it arrives, I will be grateful for what I get. My thanks, in advance, to SlySoft and the developers. I will be hoping.

I've got nothing but respect for the Slysoft guys and I'm quite happy to wait until its done, but i do think they got carried away in March. They started talking in detail about it in a way that, to many, sounded like they "had it done", that the features the were describing were already there and the wait was not going to be long at all. Fair enough, we were mistaken/they oversold, whatever!

However, I do not think they have two years. The driving force behind this player is the apparent determination of the movie industry aided by the BD Player developers to stop AnyDVD HD and with it legitimate fair use. The Slysoft "announcement" came around the same time that PowerDVD started (crudely) to look for evidence that AnyDVD was being used and stop playback. More has been done since and it is quite likely it will eventually become impossible to use AnyDVD HD with the latest versions of the current commercial players. Even if that means it is impossible to playback non-DRM'd/home produced Blu-ray material in these players, I just don't think the developers give a damn. Or maybe they just don't have a choice if they are to retain their licences. The consequence is the same.

So, whatever the intended release date, let's hope it is indeed some time this year!

I'm not closing it, but, I'm certainly not going to allow "when" posts all day every day. This thread is to discuss the potential features of SlyPlayer and what people feel they could use. We've already said there is no release date and no amount of whining about it is going to change that. If I get annoyed enough I'll start dumping the "when" posts in the worst possible forum I can find. :D

I've got nothing but respect for the Slysoft guys and I'm quite happy to wait until its done, but i do think they got carried away in March. They started talking in detail about it in a way that, to many, sounded like they "had it done", that the features the were describing were already there and the wait was not going to be long at all. Fair enough, we were mistaken/they oversold, whatever!

However, I do not think they have two years. The driving force behind this player is the apparent determination of the movie industry aided by the BD Player developers to stop AnyDVD HD and with it legitimate fair use. The Slysoft "announcement" came around the same time that PowerDVD started (crudely) to look for evidence that AnyDVD was being used and stop playback. More has been done since and it is quite likely it will eventually become impossible to use AnyDVD HD with the latest versions of the current commercial players. Even if that means it is impossible to playback non-DRM'd/home produced Blu-ray material in these players, I just don't think the developers give a damn. Or maybe they just don't have a choice if they are to retain their licences. The consequence is the same.

So, whatever the intended release date, let's hope it is indeed some time this year!

Still all completely irrelevant as it's NOT out today. So they announced their intentions? And? I think what I'm seeing here is that people are putting *WAY* too much stock in an announcement of intentions. It'd be one thing if they said "we'll have this out by XXX or in XXX months" or whatever. That'd certainly change the game. But when ANY company, even Slysoft, makes an announcement of a future product, even if it's detailed with what they plan to do, people TRULY should take the attitude of "SWEET! Sounds nice! Wake me when it gets here." Because until it is, it's JUST an announcement of intention. And guess what...for the most part, it has generated exactly what they intended it to generate...signs of interest. Feature requests. What people really think about such a thing. And you know what they found so far? People are interested. Some seriously awesome features have been requested. It shows they're on the right path. And after all this, there's still no ETA. As I've said multiiple times already...1 month, 2 months, 2 years...all irrelevant as it's simply not here TODAY.

But when ANY company, even Slysoft, makes an announcement of a future product, even if it's detailed with what they plan to do, people TRULY should take the attitude of "SWEET! Sounds nice! Wake me when it gets here."

A wake me when it gets here thread would be perfect :p

- Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back