• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Nero Showtime now with Blu-ray Support

5.1 on headphones? Seems like kind of a waste... even more than with full speakers, I've found quality to be more important than quantity when dealing with headphones... and a particularly good set of ordinary stereo headphones costs hundreds. I don't see how they could make 5.1 headphones good while being at all affordable.

At home most HTPC users are probably using very expensive speaker setups (in general, at home, a good 6.1 or 7.1 surround system will kill 2 channel speaker setups).

These headphones aren't super cheap--but they aren't music reference headphones either like the hi-end stuff that Sennheinser makes. The sound in each channel is clear, and I can hear the separation. I've tried $1000 headphones with movies. I still prefer the Medusa 5.1 surrounds. Much better experience (there is a little hiss at time in the rears if the volume is too high or during some quieter moments, but otherwise, they are very decent for the price; you can find them for 120-180 U.S., so they aren't that pricey--but clearly they aren't super hi-end either).

http://www.trustedreviews.com/multimedia/review/2005/08/23/Speed-Link-Medusa-5-1-Surround-Headset/p1

I'd rather listen to a mono or stereo signal on regular high-quality headphones, myself.

Only with 2 channel music . . .

What kind of plug do those things use, anyway... optical TOSlink or something?

The portables are USB, and the other ones plug into its own proprietary amp that then plugs into your soundcard. I have both sets:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/14/headsets_gamers_can_love/page3.html

http://www.altgamer.org/?p=311
http://www.upgradeadvisor.com/content/home_edition.aspx
http://www.geekextreme.com/content/view/10586/20/

Regardless, no movie playback software should be forcing me to listen to inferior soundtracks.

Last edited:
At home most HTPC users are probably using very expensive speaker setups (in general, at home, a good 6.1 or 7.1 surround system will kill 2 channel speaker setups).

I wouldn't argue with multichannel for home use. I don't have my computer hooked up to the TV for watching DVDs (it's hardware really isn't that great, though my soundcard does have Dolby and DTS decoding), I do use a Denon AVR-4806CI receiver... and I'd never consider switching back to stereo sound (though I do when the original source material was in mono or stereo, and I have a choice about it in the tracks; like aspect ratios, I prefer watching something the way it was originally intended to be seen/heard).

But on the move, a mere 2 channels on headphones has never really bothered me, as long as the headphones are high-quality. Half the time I'm listening to music anyway, which I hate listening to in a simulated multichannel unless it's an actual DVD-A or SACD and realy meant to be heard that way. Unfortunately, though, there are no portable SACD or DVD-A players... there should be, IMO, then I may invest in multichannel headphones.

Last edited:
there should be, IMO, then I may invest in multichannel headphones.

Hmm . . . I'm not sure I would recommend these ones for audiophiles. I prefer e-shures or Seinhennsier cans for 2 channel music sources. I mostly use these Medusa ones for gaming and for movies when I travel. They're pretty decent for the price. Not sure that I would recommend them for music . . .

installed the new update now my nero disccopy gadget is gone on the vista side bar.and its no where to be found in my gadgets anyone know where I would look for this at.

Hi :)
re: For what it's worth.
Not a lot really.
In practice if you have DTS or BD or HD. When going to play that format it tells you that you need a plugin. (See attached)
Click on buy now & you're taken to a webpage with plugins. All of which are already included if you have Nero 7 Full (Reloaded/Ultra).
There's no DTS or BD or HD plugin whatsoever.

Webpage taken to if you click buy:

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.

I’m going to e-mail them. It takes a dog’s age before they respond but I want to hear this from the horse’s mouth. The last time I e-mailed them on the subject of HD DVD / BD playback this was the “eventual “ response:

Dear valued customer,

thank you for your email and your interest in our software.

1. & 2.) Playback of HD DVD and BD movies will be possible with Nero ShowTime in one of the upcoming versions of Nero 7.5. Unfortunately we currently don't have any information as of when exactly this feature will be included.

3. & 4.) Burning of data HD DVDs and BDs is possible with the current version of Nero 7.

5. & 6.) The functionality to create and burn HD DVD and BD movies in high resolution will be added to Nero at a later date. We curently have no information about if this will be added to Nero 7.5 or only to a later version of Nero.

Should you have any other request, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards

BTW, as I understand it, Nero Home for example has HD DVD disc format support but this refers to HD DVD data burning specifically.

I suspect that in the labs they have much of this already worked out but a poor implementation that “leaks” protected intellectual property could cost them more then their pride and reputation,….which could add additional delays.

So a screenshot is one thing but an actually available product that you can put to use is quite another.

Once that plug-in is up though their servers are going to get pounded,……hard!

installed the new update now my nero disccopy gadget is gone on the vista side bar.and its no where to be found in my gadgets anyone know where I would look for this at.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=213547

I had no previous installation of Nero 7 before I installed 7.8.5.0 and yes the gadget installed itself correctly. Perhaps uninstall of the former 7.7.5.1 - with help of a Clean Tool will help.

http://www.nero.com/nero7/eng/Utilities.html

Last edited:
Has anyone actually been able to play a blu ray title yet with this new update, and as for the HD DVD support I certainly don't see the plug in either on their site. They say it is available in their store, but it isn't.

Has anyone actually been able to play a blu ray title yet with this new update, and as for the HD DVD support I certainly don't see the plug in either on their site. They say it is available in their store, but it isn't.

Good question,......

Copy Gadget

Has anyone found out yet how to install the Dick Copy Gadget after installation of 7.8.5.0. In my case I uninstalled the OLD version before install of the latest and it is not available in the Gadgets available window.

Has anyone found out yet how to install the Dick Copy Gadget after installation of 7.8.5.0. In my case I uninstalled the OLD version before install of the latest and it is not available in the Gadgets available window.
same here I can't get the disccopy gadget back either,plus when I go to watch a HD-DVD asking me for a plugin thats not their.so your guess is as good as mine.maybe send nero a email and ask them and post back to us.

i tried playing a blu ray disc with the latest Nero Showtime and got a message saying that Nero Showtime doesn't support Blu ray or HD-DVD discs as of yet. It seems a bit of false advertising on the Nero website to me.

Nero 7.8.5.0 does not work with an original blu-ray disc with AnyDVD HD enabled. Tried the backup as well. Does not work with AnyDVD HD disabled either.

Except for burning with verify, I hate Nero. CloneDVD2 Dudes/Babes, please add verify to the burn option!

i tried playing a blu ray disc with the latest Nero Showtime and got a message saying that Nero Showtime doesn't support Blu ray or HD-DVD discs as of yet. It seems a bit of false advertising on the Nero website to me.
Actually it does not advertise playback of commercial Blu-ray titles anywhere (it does so for HD-DVD though). It only says it supports creation and playback of discs in BDAV format. This is the format developed primarily for use in digital recorders, camcorders etc. The format used to distribute movies is called BDMV.

I don't really understand why people are so excited about Nero ShowTime and its alleged yet non-existent support of Blu-ray. Despite the presence of a few bugs PowerDVD is indeed a very good player. Definitely better than any alternative currently on the market.

P.S.: BTW, plug-in is already available for some countries - http://www.nero.com/ena/Blu-Ray_HDDVD_Video_Plug_in_InfoPage.html. Price is USD 29.99.

Last edited:
Back