• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Nero Showtime now with Blu-ray Support

wdgoldstein

Beta Tester
Just released Nero 7 Ultimate Enhanced free upgrade Ver. 7.8.5.0 now can play Blu-Ray disks with Nero Showtime. No word as yet on HD-DVD but you BD guys now have an alternative to PowerDVD 7.X .

Hope it works. I don't have a BD drive to test on.

Nero's been saying they'll add in Blu-Ray and HD-DVD video disc authoring to some future version... though I don't have a burner for either, it would be cool if this was the version they added it to. It if it had a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD version of Nero Vision, then perhaps someone here with AnyDVD HD could try making a backup of a ripped Blu-Ray using it... though it would probably have to be a single-layer original. I doubt Nero would have something like Recode for the HD formats so soon.

Maybe HD-DVD as well

The program download is VERY slow (must be a very busy server) but the Help files I downloaded for Showtime lists that it supports HD-DVD as well as BD. Hopefully it will. This can't be any worse than PowerDVD Ultra 7.X. I may never find out though as d/l speed is only 9.38kb/sec. on a 175MB file :-(

Try downloading from FileHippo.com, it seems to be much faster.

Only took me about 10 minutes... MD5 checksum was fine.

Try downloading from FileHippo.com, it seems to be much faster.

Only took me about 10 minutes... MD5 checksum was fine.

It appeas that the file available there is the "Trial" version which does NOT include the BD/HD plugin. The Update file is suppossed to. Trying to d/l again from Nero site and getting much better speed now. Will report back once I have it installed and tested on HD/DVD

Does this new version of nero actually play back a store-bought blu-ray disc, or just authored blu-ray content (for example video shot with a hi def camcorder and then authored onto a blu ray disc)? Also, those out there trying this new version of nero, are there any hiccups such as with PowerDVD?

It appeas that the file available there is the "Trial" version which does NOT include the BD/HD plugin. The Update file is suppossed to. Trying to d/l again from Nero site and getting much better speed now. Will report back once I have it installed and tested on HD/DVD

Are you sure... does it say that on Nero's website? I have no way of testing at the moment, as I have no Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drives however Nero's instructions for people who bought Nero 7 (or upgraded from 6) online were always to download the Trial, and put in your own serial number during the installation process. You'd think that the trial would include locked versions of the BD/HD plugins, that are unlocked by a fully registered serial number.

In any case, whenever I've updated to a new version up to now, I've always completely uninstalled the existing one and downloaded the trial.

Just released Nero 7 Ultimate Enhanced free upgrade Ver. 7.8.5.0 now can play Blu-Ray disks with Nero Showtime. No word as yet on HD-DVD but you BD guys now have an alternative to PowerDVD 7.X .

Hope it works. I don't have a BD drive to test on.

Where did you read this? I can't find a hint on the Nero site claiming BD or HD DVD support for Showtime.

Just downloaded the update

And this is what it says when I try to play a hd DVD,To perform the requested action,the blue ray/hd DVD video plug-in required.the plug in will enhance your nero application with the folling technologies,hd DVD-video playback,bd-av 2.playback/recording,mpg-2,and so on then it has a purchase.button on the bottom does anyone know witch plug in I need.

And this is what it says when I try to play a hd DVD,To perform the requested action,the blue ray/hd DVD video plug-in required.the plug in will enhance your nero application with the folling technologies,hd DVD-video playback,bd-av 2.playback/recording,mpg-2,and so on then it has a purchase.button on the bottom does anyone know witch plug in I need.

Hi :)
The plug in they refer to doesn't appear to be present currently. If it is I can't find it.
Only Plugins listed.See here:

Last edited:
Honesty in Marketing???

What the hell goes on here. One area of the website says the upgrade to enhanced is free. Another says it included BD author and Play. Another area (comparison chats) shows BD as being included. Yet another chart (posted in this thread) shows compatability with HD-DVD.

Now download the update and it tries to sell you BD & HD support with a plugin that is not available (shades of WinDVD 8 Platimum). The program is suppossed to be the "Ultimate Enhanced" version however the word enhanced is missing from any screen within the program.

Is is possable for any company today (excepting of course Slysoft) to tell the truth about their product and lable it correctly?

Besides that who ever heard of an install program requiring that EVERYTHING including Windows Explorer (the actual shell for the OS) be closed down to install. What a bitch!!!

As Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are still fairly new things for computers, I imagine it's just taking Nero some time (as it is with everyone, unfortunately) to work out the details. None of the literature so far has said that the plug-in for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will cost extra... perhaps it will be posted (hopefully sooner rather than later) as a free downloaded, and eventually built into future versions (probably starting with 8, though, which'll mean an paid-for upgrade anyway).

False Advertising

As Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are still fairly new things for computers, I imagine it's just taking Nero some time (as it is with everyone, unfortunately) to work out the details. None of the literature so far has said that the plug-in for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will cost extra... perhaps it will be posted (hopefully sooner rather than later) as a free downloaded, and eventually built into future versions (probably starting with 8, though, which'll mean an paid-for upgrade anyway).

They are advertising this support NOW not in the future. It is on the main page of their website. If you ain't got it don't claim you have !!! They are strutting around claiming they have the biggest balls on the block while the only thing in their pants are a couple of pairs of balled up socks.

Attachments

• Buy Now.jpg
    Buy Now.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
They are advertising this support NOW not in the future. It is on the main page of their website. If you ain't got it don't claim you have !!! They are strutting around claiming they have the biggest balls on the block while the only thing in their pants are a couple of pairs of balled up socks.

Nero Showtime can't even play DTS yet. So who wants to use Showtime to watch movies? I don't see DTS support being advertised anywhere.

Last edited:
Weirder & Weirder

Now the Nero Website is saying that Nero 7 Premium Reloaded (not ultimate enhanced) is the latest version included BD with HD available w/plugin available at the nero store (NOT). Can't they make up their minds? D/L File name is identical with the earlier enhanced ver.

Nero Showtime can't even play DTS yet. So who wants to use Showtime to watch movies? I don't see DTS support being advertised anywhere.

Well, it's a reasonable option for a lot of people. Who would want to pay $60 or $70 for the bug-filled HD version of PowerDVD if you happened to have Nero, and Showtime included Blu-Ray and HD-DVD capability (assuming it isn't a paid upgrade). Personally, I'm still using the stereo-only OEM version of PowerDVD 6 for watching DVDs... most of the time I'm only using headphones anyway, so I hardly need multichannel sound.

Hopefully Nero 8 includes some serious advancements in Showtime's abilities, as well as supporting HD-DVD and Blu-Ray playback out of the box. By that time, I may even have a Blu-Ray drive on my computer.

Well, it's a reasonable option for a lot of people. Who would want to pay $60 or $70 for the bug-filled HD version of PowerDVD if you happened to have Nero, and Showtime included Blu-Ray and HD-DVD capability (assuming it isn't a paid upgrade).

For movie playback software, not offering DTS support is pretty pathetic. Keep in mind a lot of people use Anydvd for HTPC purposes. If it's a licensing issue, I'll gladly pay $20 more for DTS support, provided Nero Showtime can get HD-DVD and Blu-ray playback working without all the bugs and limitations in Powerdvd and Windvd.

most of the time I'm only using headphones anyway

When I travel, so do I; I use my Medusa 5.1 channel surround headphones . . . I want access to my DTS movie soundtracks. That's why I don't use Showtime. If I ever find a good set of 7.1 channel surround headphones, I'll probably switch.

Last edited:
5.1 on headphones? Seems like kind of a waste... even more than with full speakers, I've found quality to be more important than quantity when dealing with headphones... and a particularly good set of ordinary stereo headphones costs hundreds. I don't see how they could make 5.1 headphones good while being at all affordable. Personally, I'd rather listen to mono or stereo on a high-quality set of headphones than a simluation of 5.1 on average or lower-quality ones. I'd rather listen to a mono or stereo signal on regular high-quality headphones, myself. What kind of plug do those things use, anyway... optical TOSlink or something?

That said, while at the Sudbury Science Centre back on a juniour high trip, we got to try a quite exceptional type of directional sound technology... much more effective than even the most modern 5/6/7.1 setup. And that did use a type of headphone-sort of thing... though I can't remember what it was called.

Back