• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Main movie only using DL disks ????

maddogvic

I will be using verbatim 8x DL +R disks.
I want to do this so there will be no compression of the movies that are over 1hr, 45min's playing time.
I don't want to copy the whole disk and I don't want any menus or anything else, just english sub-titles.
So can clonedvd2 do this or should I use "clonecd"??,...
and if using clonecd is there an option for main movie only or would I have to copy the entire dvd.
I keep reading about layer breaks:confused:

Last edited:
I want to do this so there will be no compression of the movies that are over 1hr, 45min's playing time.
I don't want to copy the whole disk and I don't want any menus or anything else, just english sub-titles.
and if using clonecd is there an option for main movie only or would I have to copy the entire dvd.
I keep reading about layer breaks:confused:

If you are recording to DL media there will be no compression even if you choose to copy the entire disk.
In my opinion, it would be a waste of expensive media, not to simply clone the disk in its entirety.
CloneCD does not allow you seletivly choose movie only, but will retain the original layer break position of the original.
CloneDVD will let you choose movie only, but does not retain the original layer break.
In short, CloneCD would be my first choice if I were using DL media.

@ maddogvic,

Using CloneDVD you can “edit out” items you do not want in your backup copy.

In CloneCD you do not have the option to “edit out” undesired items. In CloneCD you have copy (Clone) the entire DVD Disk.

Regards,
Coaster

@ maddogvic,

Using CloneDVD you can “edit out” items you do not want in your backup copy.

In CloneCD you do not have the option to “edit out” undesired items. In CloneCD you have copy (Clone) the entire DVD Disk.

Regards,
Coaster
that's what I thought,..so my concern now is since clonedvd changes the position of the layer break would it have any affect on it's playing compatibilities on dvd players.
one reason for me wanting only the movie is the processing time it takes to copy and burn a full copy of the dvd since I never look at directors comments or trailers and such.

Split over 2 DVD5

If only interested in the movie alone without compression why use a DL DVD?:confused: Split over 2 DVD5 and save the DL for when you want everything. Sure you have to get up and swap out the DVDs when the first half finishes but think of it as an intermision and time for that bathroom break or to get another beer/soda and popcorn refill. :agree: No compression and a LOT cheaper than using a DL DVD. I do it all the time for movies I want without compression. DL still to pricey for my taste and would probably pull my hair out if made a coaster! At about 28 to 30 cents US for a DVD5 no big deal if burn error and make a coaster. Use them for that soada or beer I get when change out a movie on 2DVD5s

Best of luck!

that's what I thought,..so my concern now is since clonedvd changes the position of the layer break would it have any affect on it's playing compatibilities on dvd players.
one reason for me wanting only the movie is the processing time it takes to copy and burn a full copy of the dvd since I never look at directors comments or trailers and such.

Shouldn't have an effect of compatabilty. Changing layer break position can sometimes make it more noticeable when the layer switch occurs, or can cause sizing problems on the layers if it is a large file. (ie: to little on the first
layer, 2 much for the second)
If it's speed you're concerned with, the split disk method suggested by m73 is fast.

Yes, it can.

Why are you concerned about this? Why would you want to leave out all the bonus material and waste space on a DL disc?

You are aware that 1) in most cases with "jump directly to title menu" selected in Anydvd, you will automatically skip all the trailers, ads, etc., during playback, and 2) Anydvd removes all the prohibited user operations anyway so that you can skip the ads even if you don't have "jump directly to title menu" selected.

I'm really surprised that anyone would want to leave out bonus material when using a +R DL disc.

But /shrug

He's another one just like me. I just want to put the disk in and have it play the movie in 5.1 surround. That's all.

I watch the bonus stuff once off the real DVD. Kinda like saying "Do you wanna Clone the money or Clone the wallet?" :D

-W

He's another one just like me. I just want to put the disk in and have it play the movie in 5.1 surround. That's all.

You're not using DL media. And you can still achieve the same thing by selecting "jump to main movie" in Anydvd. Then if you want to watch the bonus material, you could hit the menu button on your remote.

But whatever . . .

Last edited:
You're not using DL media. And you can still achieve the same thing by selecting "jump to main movie" in Anydvd. Then if you want to watch the bonus material, you could hit the menu button on your remote.

But whatever . . .

Correct, I'm not using DL media... but even if I were... I'd still prolly just put the main movie on my backups. I can't run AnyDVD on my stand alone DVD player in the guest bedroom, and when I send stuff to my elderly mother - she can't use a DVD menu to save her life.

But in my case the dog is wagging the tail. I use SL media *because* I only want the main movie anyway, and with a good trancoder SL saves a lot of dough. If you were to mail me a spool of DL DVDs (come on, you can afford it) :D I'd still just put the main movie on them and skip the compression.
(Borat is an exception - the deleted scenes were as worthy as many in the moviefilm)

if you dont care much of your DL disc ill give you for every 2 of my TY (TYGO2) TY MEDIA for 1 DL disc :D lol

man if ur using DL disc slap it in clone it with no conpression and be surpised as no diffrense can be telled if played side by side:agree:

now dont want to waste alot of time on the pc And dont watch extras or special features? simple get TY dvd5 media disc for as little as 50 cents or such and enjoy conpressed free movies :bowdown:

now make your backup save your orginal from damged and enjoy the show :clap:

In general... if you follow the weekly special sales at Best Buy..... you can get good SL media for only 23 cents a disk +tax.
Last weeks sale was Verbatim 50 packs -R and +R

-W

Last edited:
In general... if you follow the sales at Best Buy..... you can get SL media for only 23 cents a disk +tax.

-W

why of course i can get cheap media even cheaper then 25 cents heck i can even get it free its all about knowing the right people but is it worth my time? and why would i want something that not only in the end its gonna not work but im gonna have more troubles such as coasters and reading/writing errors when i can simply forget about crap and buy quality for a bit more hmmm????

guess my eyes are old i see no difference in the compressed or the original usually all i backup is the main movie with menus i mean i compressed king kong 2005 it was over 3 hrs long on 1 disc just movie and menus and i am happy with it
:agree:

why of course i can get cheap media even cheaper then 25 cents heck i can even get it free its all about knowing the right people but is it worth my time? and why would i want something that not only in the end its gonna not work but im gonna have more troubles such as coasters and reading/writing errors when i can simply forget about crap and buy quality for a bit more hmmm????

I was refering to last weeks sale... which was Verbatim.
Verbatim=TY

I said "follow the sales" not just "buy whatever is on sale". (I just went back and edited for clarity)

When the good stuff comes up on sale.... snag a lot of it.

-W

I can't run AnyDVD on my stand alone DVD player in the guest bedroom

You don't need to. With that setting selected in Anydvd ("jump directly to main movie"), the backup disc will jump directly to main movie regardless of whether you play it on your computer. If you play your backup in a standalone dvd player, in that case, the disc will begin playing the main movie. The same holds true for the "jump directly to title menu" setting (which is what I generally use; this doesn't work for all discs, but it does for most). And the user prohibited features are removed on the backup as well, regardless of what the disc is played in.

Last edited:
You don't need to. With that setting selected in Anydvd ("jump directly to main movie"), the backup disc will jump directly to main movie regardless of whether you play it on your computer. If you play your backup in a standalone dvd player, in that case, the disc will begin playing the main movie.

I did not know that... I thought it only did that in the drive while AnyDVD was active. I knew it removed PUO's, but I didn't know the jump would carry over. Thanks

-W

guess my eyes are old i see no difference in the compressed or the original usually all i backup is the main movie with menus i mean i compressed king kong 2005 it was over 3 hrs long on 1 disc just movie and menus and i am happy with it
:agree:

your experice could be due to the size of your tv :D you see the bigger the tv the more noticeable artifacts become due to the conpression of the movie

so for ex a dvd9 conpressed to a dvd5 on a 50'' or higher tv will be noticeable slighty for artifacts and such

but say on a 27'' i dont think its gonna be noticeable..... i hope this clears things up for some people

Back