• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

HD DVD Problems

Andy0x1

Running Windows XP Pro and just installed an NEC HR-1100A HD-DVDROM drive.

Using AnyDVD 6.1.3.0

Selecting RIP HD to disk brings up the proper source directory of:

D:_NEC HDDVD HR-1100A 2.0S

However clicking "Copy DVD" results in error (Failed to read DVD!)

Interestingly the "Status" utility shows: "Media is HD DVD" and also displays the number of layers and space used by the movie.

Reigon is "Drive (Hardware) Reigon: 1"

Is this drive not supported?

Does HD Playback software need to be installed before you can RIP?

Hopefully getting one of these drives myself today so I'll let you know how I get on.

Incidently do the discs play ok from the drive ?

Nope; at least not with my setup. PowerDVD Ultra won't recognize the disc either. I'm sure it has to do with the UDF2.5 file system and the NEC Drive not being compliant with the current one circulating the web or imbedded in AnyDVD.

I find it rather surprising though seeing as how it is the drive that makes up nearly 100% of all stand alone consumer HD-DVD players. (HDA1, and HDXA1)

Nope; at least not with my setup. PowerDVD Ultra won't recognize the disc either. I'm sure it has to do with the UDF2.5 file system and the NEC Drive not being compliant with the current one circulating the web or imbedded in AnyDVD.

I find it rather surprising though seeing as how it is the drive that makes up nearly 100% of all stand alone consumer HD-DVD players. (HDA1, and HDXA1)

Nope, it's not the udf2.5 filesystem driver - AnyDVD HD as well as PowerDVD completely ignore this driver, you don't even need it at all - it only helps you see the files on the disc from Windows Explorer, that's currently all it is good for.

Also the UDF Filesystem is on the disc, not in the drive. The drive only knows about sectors.

There's got to be some other problem with that drive.

Last edited:
Yep, same problem here :(

Although AnyDVD HD seems to recognise the HD DVD disc in this drive, the drive is just not recognised in XP as an HD DVD drive, i'm not even able to browse the disc from explorer :(

I searched the net for an updated driver but no luck, I'm sure someone must of cracked this problem, hopefully someone here will provide a solution.

Yep, same problem here :(

Although AnyDVD HD seems to recognise the HD DVD disc in this drive, the drive is just not recognised in XP as an HD DVD drive, i'm not even able to browse the disc from explorer :(

I searched the net for an updated driver but no luck, I'm sure someone must of cracked this problem, hopefully someone here will provide a solution.
Use the AnyDVD HD ripper.

Same thing here, I bought one of the HD-A1's when they first came out just so I could get at the drive & maybe use the pc goodies & case for something too :) But mostly for the drive. If anyone can find out how to make this drive work I would greatly appreciate it. I am one of the lucky ones who built a very expensive SLI pc 8 months ago & now I gotta really nice monitor & Graphics cards but nothings HDCP compliant :doh:

P4 3.46 Ghz - Extreme Edition 4mb
2Gb DDR2 Ram
4x 300GB SATA Maxtor 16mb Hd's Raid 0
4x 16x Dual Layer Liteon Dvd Burners
2x BFG 7800 GTX OC 512mb Pcie SLI
Viewsonic P225f Professional Series CRT Monitor
ASUS P5N-SLI DELUXE Hyper Transport & 32 Bit Pcie Bus

^^^^^^^

Just bumping this to make it more visible, still looking for a solution to make this drive work. :(

^^^^^^^

Just bumping this to make it more visible, still looking for a solution to make this drive work. :(
Bumping won't make the drive work. :D
This drive is an OEM drive used in an embedded application. The drive cannot purchased on its own. It is not designed to work in PCs.
There are no plans from our side to make it work (unless you send me your drive, I have no way to do this).

Bumping won't make the drive work. :D
This drive is an OEM drive used in an embedded application. The drive cannot purchased on its own. It is not designed to work in PCs.
There are no plans from our side to make it work (unless you send me your drive, I have no way to do this).

James, I wasn't expecting Slysoft to make this drive work, I was just bumping it in the hope someone can provide a solution.

I'm sure someone somewhere by whatever means has found a solution to getting it working in a PC, by patching the firmware or something.

BTW, sending you the drive IS a possiblity :D for the good of the community :)

That particular drive is missing all the AACS-related stuff (that's handled by the HD-A1) and won't work on a PC for HD DVD playback. Xbox add-on drive has AACS in hardware which is why it works.

That particular drive is missing all the AACS-related stuff (that's handled by the HD-A1) and won't work on a PC for HD DVD playback. Xbox add-on drive has AACS in hardware which is why it works.

Yes, so I understand but as this drive was supposed to be released as a retail product also so I would of assumed that a different version of the firmware must exist somewhere. These things somehow usually make their way on to the inet.

I don't understand why a retail HD DVD drive has not appeared yet on the market. All the articles I have read suggest they should of appeared around last October.

The 360 drive works just fine, it's just that I can't stand things hanging off my HTPC :rolleyes:

Yes, so I understand but as this drive was supposed to be released as a retail product also so I would of assumed that a different version of the firmware must exist somewhere. These things somehow usually make their way on to the inet.

I don't understand why a retail HD DVD drive has not appeared yet on the market. All the articles I have read suggest they should of appeared around last October.

The 360 drive works just fine, it's just that I can't stand things hanging off my HTPC :rolleyes:

Can't you just remove it from the USB chassis and plug it in directly?

Back