• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Newbie questions re: using third party B/U software

jeff9329

Hi, I am a total newbie to AnyDVD and have had difficulties getting started out.

My intent is backing up DVDs before the kids scratch them or rescuing them after the fact. We typically view on a large screen TV, so maximum quality is my goal with no reduction in image quality. Therefore, no re-rendering or transcoding is generally acceptable.

Hardware and software available is:
1. Sony Vegas 7.0d non-linear editor
2. Sony DVD Architect 4.0b DVD authoring tool
3. Gear Video 8.20 DVD burning/copying/multi-tool
4. VLC Media Player - plays anything, good for reviewing VOBs & deleting junk
5. AnyDVD
6. Canopus ADVC 110 hardware transcoder
7. DVD burner - NEC 3550A with custom firmware
8. DVD burner - NEC/Optiarc 7170 with custom firmware

With AnyDVD running, I initially tried to use the Vegas "Import from DVD" feature. This imports the VOB files directly to the timeline losslessly as their native format. It's a total no-go with AnyDVD running. With AnyDVD off, it imports all the files but with missing content and some files empty. So, no luck this way.

Then tried using my copying software (Gear). It seemed to work, making a full copy to DL+R discs but ended with an error every time. Various DVD players couldn't reckognize them, but the computer could.

It does seem AnyDVD ripper pulls all the files out to a HD very well. I haven't tried working them that way yet.

Any tips?

Last edited:
All you need is CloneCD and you are good to go. The programs you have are excellent but not quite what you need. You will use AnyDVD and CloneCD together but just remember to use Verbatim(+) DVD and you should be good to go

Im not currently talking about HD-DVDs, I use another hardware based system for that & backup to DVHS tape via a .m2t stream on a firewire connection.

I have found a work flow to pull the regular DVD material into Vegas since my last post.

1. Use the AnyDVD ripper and copy the Video_TS dir onto the hard drive system. With modified DVD firmware to defeat riplock limitations, this only takes a few minutes.

2. Delete all but the VOBs.

3. Quick review the VOBs in VLC and delete what you don't want.

4. Rename the files to something that makes sense if you want & change the file extension to .mpg from VOB.

5. Put the files on the Vegas timeline & finish the job!

This should let me do the whole process losslessly and I can pick the layer change point in DVD Architect. I can also build the DVD menu how I want, although it will be pretty simple to save time.

If there is an easier way, let me know.

Are you backing up HD-DVDs? You can't without a HD-DVD burner to begin with.

If you're backing up regular dvd-video commercial films, the best method is
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=327 with Anydvd

Please answer http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=321 fully
(you can ignore the part asking about what burning software you're using)

The Verbatims (depending on Mfg.) are certainly the best.

Is clone CD going to re-compress the material?

I am looking for a 100% lossless solution. DL DVDs are cheap, that's all I intend to use.

All you need is CloneCD and you are good to go. The programs you have are excellent but not quite what you need. You will use AnyDVD and CloneCD together but just remember to use Verbatim(+) DVD and you should be good to go

The Verbatims (depending on Mfg.) are certainly the best.

Is clone CD going to re-compress the material?

I am looking for a 100% lossless solution. DL DVDs are cheap, that's all I intend to use.

CloneCD gives you a 1:1 solution including keeping the layer break and all material. It only removes the encryption so it's as close as you can get.

Do you mean Clone CD or Clone DVD?

CloneCD gives you a 1:1 solution including keeping the layer break and all material. It only removes the encryption so it's as close as you can get.

Do you mean Clone CD or Clone DVD?

CloneCD. It can do 1:1 backups of DVDs onto Dual Layer discs while keeping the layer break info and all content. As close as you can get to the original.

Thanks Webslinger, did it (visit url). I will post more info next time.

I have learned a lot today. The only really quick, easy way to make backups is using Clone CD.

I also learned the DVD menu teams have really been working overtime in the last few years slicing, dicing & packing garbage in the video_ts for driving menu functions. Its 75% or more of the files. It almost seems slicing up the program instead of using markers is a way designed to waste our time on the backend making backups.

I guess it's also part of their audio (levels) & compression scheme. They have the bit rates way down on the trailers, but still have some very impressive video quality.

One more third party question, is there any best general DVD burner software that works with AnyDVD to create and burn an image that consistently works? Gear dosen't seem to yet.

BTW, thanks Slysoft for a good product. The kids thank you too.

One more third party question, is there any best general DVD burner software that works with AnyDVD to create and burn an image that consistently works? Gear dosen't seem to yet.

Just use Clonecd to "read to imagefile". When you want to write the imagefile, select "write to imagefile" in Clonecd. Use Clonecd with Verbatim +R DL media.

I tend to use Clonedvd2 for single layer backups, and Clonecd for double layer backups--but keep in mind I never compress. Clonedvd2 will allow you to split across two single layer discs without compressing and will also retain the original menus across two split discs if you want. To learn how to use Clonedvd2, read http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 fully (again print it out if you have to).

The cost of Verbatim +R DL media made in Singapore has dropped enough where I am so that I haven't used anything other than Anydvd with Clonecd in a long time to backup my originals.

Last edited:
Back