• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD is falling behind!!!

DVDShrink takes one look at the Sony crap that gets past AnyDVD and vomits it right back at you with a rather cryptic error message - but you at least know for sure that it puked.
CloneDVD2 gives you a nice warm smile, as it gets a quiet case of the runs and passes all that Sony crap right into your pants (disk) faster than a goose. (but you get a nice warm feeling)

Iether way.... you're wearing it.... it smells.... and Sony gave it to you. :D

-W (Thank you! Please tip your bartenders folks, I'm here all night)
Hahahaha :clap: :clap:

That's a very ummm nice way of putting it? lol

I've been using anydvd and clonedvd2 for over a year and made many back-ups without any problems what so ever. There's no need to use any other software. I read that so many people have problems with shrink and other software, why is that. IMO Slysoft has the best trouble free software. Thank you Slysoft.:clap:

I've been using anydvd and clonedvd2 for over a year and made many back-ups without any problems what so ever. There's no need to use any other software. I read that so many people have problems with shrink and other software, why is that. IMO Slysoft has the best trouble free software. Thank you Slysoft.:clap:

If you sincerely want to know why Shrink users prefer Shrink there's plenty of information on the subject. Try the search function. Past that, I won't let this degrade into another CloneDVD2 vs Shrink-athon.

-W

no comparison

Hotice where all the complaints are coming from...The Shrunken Heads

I finally got around to this thread and I guess I’m just not the purist you guys are, I just throw in a Verb +R DL and use CloneCD, no muss no fuss. If I want another copy, just do it again. Why the desire for a clean backup – just curious?

I finally got around to this thread and I guess I’m just not the purist you guys are, I just throw in a Verb +R DL and use CloneCD, no muss no fuss. If I want another copy, just do it again. Why the desire for a clean backup – just curious?

Your doing it the same way Webslinger does - and it's one of the most optimal. :agree:

However, there's plenty of cheap bastiches that get DVD5's on sale at Best Buy for 23 cents each (Vebatim last week). These people use transcoders, to make them fit, and to get the best quality, clean = better.

-W

I make SL copies sometimes, but I just copy the main title using AnyDVD and CloneDVD so I never notice. I understand the smaller the transcoder output the better the quality. I just really can’t see the difference, thus my purist comment.
The exception is cartoons, I use Nero recode on those, the picture does seem to be more vibrant, but that could just be my perception and not reality!

Thanks, every tidbit of information helps and I appreciate it.

I use Nero recode on those, the picture does seem to be more vibrant, but that could just be my perception and not reality!

The developer of Shrink went on to help develop Nero Recode. Recode tends to transcode faster than Shrink and produces approximately the same picture quality as Shrink, so it's not just your perception.

What Clonedvd2 can do that both Shrink and Recode cannot is retain menus across split discs, and Clonedvd also transcodes faster than either Shrink or Recode especially when either deep or advanced analysis is used in either of those programs. The tradeoff with Clonedvd2 is picture quality at higher levels of compression. Of course, Clonedvd2 (and many other transcoder based burning applications) also accepts the bad sector Sony junk structures better than Shrink does.

Last edited:
Does Nero recode pass the Sony junk to the copy? I don't know that I ever used it on one of those.

Nice to know it's not all in my mind!

Last edited:
For me, in the final analysis, the only thing that matters is how flawlessly the copy plays on my players...:D

Does Nero recode pass the Sony junk to the copy?

If you see a bunch of useless titles under "content" in Recode that don't play anything in recode's preview screen, delete those titles before burning. Same goes for Clonedvd2 . . .

If you choose just to backup the main movie only in either program, then you don't need to concern yourself with anything.

Minor correction here... all posts indicate CloneDVD2 does not "clean up" the junk, it just tolerates it better. Post results indicate that it's passing it through to the copy on a full disk backup. This wastes disk space on the burned disk. That's fine for DVD9 burns, but if your reduxing the whole DVD onto a DVD5, every byte counts.

To put it creatively:
DVDShrink takes one look at the Sony crap that gets past AnyDVD and vomits it right back at you with a rather cryptic error message - but you at least know for sure that it puked.
CloneDVD2 gives you a nice warm smile, as it gets a quiet case of the runs and passes all that Sony crap right into your pants (disk) faster than a goose. (but you get a nice warm feeling)

Iether way.... you're wearing it.... it smells.... and Sony gave it to you. :D

-W (Thank you! Please tip your bartenders folks, I'm here all night) :clap: :agree: :clap:

I expect I agree with you, although I probably would not have said it quite that way. Doesn't CloneDVD2 list all the phony vts titles as selectable? Can't a person just uncheck those to avoid including that junk in the copy? . . . edit . . . I see webslinger was saying this also as I was keying . . .

To the person who said CloneDVD2 approaches DVDShrink in transcoding quality - it's true - until you begin heading south of say 75% or 80%.

The developer of Shrink went on to help develop Nero Recode. Recode tends to transcode faster than Shrink and produces approximately the same picture quality as Shrink, so it's not just your perception.

What Clonedvd2 can do that both Shrink and Recode cannot is retain menus across split discs, and Clonedvd also transcodes faster than either Shrink or Recode especially when either deep or advanced analysis is used in either of those programs. The tradeoff with Clonedvd2 is picture quality at higher levels of compression. Of course, Clonedvd2 (and many other transcoder based burning applications) also accepts the bad sector Sony junk structures better than Shrink does.

Well said. I find I use CloneDVD2 for those times when it is capable of the re-authoring I want to do (pretty much limited to including or excluding entire titles) if I want to retain menus, and the resulting titles fit on a dvd-5. Other than that, I generally opt for DVDShrink to get the much more powerful re-authoring abilities, and better transcoding quality.

I expect I agree with you, although I probably would not have said it quite that way. Doesn't CloneDVD2 list all the phony vts titles as selectable? Can't a person just uncheck those to avoid including that junk in the copy? . . . edit . . . I see webslinger was saying this also as I was keying . . .
To the person who said CloneDVD2 approaches DVDShrink in transcoding quality - it's true - until you begin heading south of say 75% or 80%.

Yes, you can deselect titles in CloneDVD2 and ReCode (and I believe keep the full menu - right?). So yes, there's a "manual workaround" for the whole DVD backup to a DVD5. The original voiced concern is that many of the Noob type users of CloneDVD2 just back up the disk with one click. Those people (who are the core group of Clone users from the postings I've read) are also compressing the junk and wasting disk space.

As for transcoding quality, I can start to see the difference at about 80%. To me, if you doing a full disk redux of a DVD9 to a DVD5 - the difference between the two programs is massive. If just doing the main movie, not so much.

-W

What Clonedvd2 can do that both Shrink and Recode cannot is retain menus across split discs

Yanno.... I've often seen this touted as the great distinguishing "feature" of CloneDVD2.
I personally think it's just a bunch of marketing BS. :disagree:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall (I havn't split a disk in a long time),
both Shrink and Recode split disks by putting all the Menu stuff and the extras on Disk one, and then finish the main movie on Disk two. No?

I mean... what good is having a menu on the disk that dosn't need a menu anyway? Hmmm?? So to me, that "feature" is the only way the Marketing Boys get to say that CloneDVD2 can do something the others can't. Personally, were I not looking for a "feature" to extoll, I think the other way makes more sence. :agree:

-W

Last edited:
Yes, you can keep the menu

Thanks... I thought so. I just tend to take the main movie only, and havn't put any serious effort into a whole disk backup of any of the new Sony crap.

-W

Yanno.... I've often seen this touted as the great distinguishing "feature" of CloneDVD2. I personally think it's a bunch of marketing BS. :disagree:

No. It's useful. Many people including myself do prefer having the menu retained over split discs. Clonedvd2 isn't the only program that can do this either, so obviously there is some demand for it. If you have made language changes, for example, you'll have to select that stuff with the remote manually on disc 2. This is especially annoying with movies that require occasional subtitles to appear (you have to reselect the proper subtitle stream manually again with your remote when you put the second disc in).

And if you don't want to retain the original menus on disc in Clonedvd2--you can choose not to include them.

Moreover, you completely lose menu functionality on disc 1 anyway when you split across two discs with Shrink.

both Shrink and Recode split disks by putting all the Menu stuff and the extras on Disk one, and then finish the main movie on Disk two. No?

When you split in Shrink, you have to go into "reauthor" mode, so no; you lose the original menus--unless you want the convert the menus into a regular video clip (but that's hardly the same thing, since you lose all functionality).

So to me, that "feature" is the only way the Marketing Boys get to say that CloneDVD2 can do something the others can't.

No. This claim is complete nonsense. That feature is one reason why I did use Clonedvd2 instead of Shrink and Recode (back when I did split across two single layer discs; I've hated transcoding/encoding for quite some time).

Last edited:
OK.... then well.... "to me" it's not any big deal feature. I think it's faster to toggle the remote button on the second disk than to navigate a menu.
But to each his own I guess. :)

And the claim isn't "complete" nonsence... because it is the only leg up it really has on it's closest two rivals. :D :agree:
(aside from being nOOb friendly)

-W

Back