• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

best ripping format for xbox360 while maintaining 5.1 suround?

vicker

Using an external HD to rip my movies for playback on my xbox360 but im trying to figure out the best format for the highest quality video while still maintaining source audio of 5.1 surround sound(some formats automaticly make it stereo) any ideas? the format under xbox360 (H.264) doesnt seem that great. I dont care about file size.
thnx any input would be great

Last edited:
The only formats that will play on the xbox and keep your 5.1 sound is Divx and WMA.

Try this

Code:
[* Generic (DivX/AC3) AVI - Forced Subtitles]
Res1=320x240
Res2=480x360
Res3=640x480
Res4=720x540
ResAna1=320x180
ResAna2=480x270
ResAna3=640x360
ResAna4=720x404
ResAna5=852x480
VTag=DIVX
mopts=-audio-preload 0.8 -delay 0.1 -lameopts cbr=%abrate% -forcedsubsonly
lavcopts=vcodec=mpeg4:threads=2
moac=copy
Format=avi -noodml
FileType=avi
Quality=23
useMencoder=1
SubTitle=1
MaxVBitrate=3000

i tryed wma in windows movie maker but it converts the 5.1 to stereo. ill try it with clone and see if it works diffrently.

The only way to get 5.1 sound in WMA is to use Windows Media Encoder (free) or Expression Encoder (fee.)

Using Windows Media Encoder is a very tedious process because it does not like a lot of MPEG codecs.

• First Rip DVD and edit out main movie (DVD Shrink or Clone DVD.)
  • Load VOB file in to DGIndex to create dvs file, extract video and AC3 file
  • Install AC3 filter
  • Load AC3 into Windows Media Encoder, create lossless audio in 6 channel WMA
  • Create AVSynth Script using dvs file created with DGIndex
  • Load AVSynth script into Windows Media Encoder as video source & your WMA as your audio source.
  • Encode your movie and you will have a Windows Media File with 6 channel surround sound.
On average a two hour movie will take 6 hours to encode on your "average" dual core PC. and that is without editing your registry setting to take advantage of the WMV9 codec (B-frames and the like.)
I always thought that the colorspace that WMV uses makes the video look "Washed" And I have done ALOT of WMV encodes.
If you use the above posted profile you will have a Divx Movie with 5.1 Surrond Sound in about 40 minutes per pass that will play prefectly on your Xbox 360.

Save yourself ALOT of headache and rip with CloneDVDmobile and convert to DIVX with AC3 sound.

Last edited:
i tried ripping with clone dvdmobile generic divx but it converts to stereo? is there a way to use generic divx and maintain 5.1 suround sound?

Copy and paste the above profile into your device.ini file. Start cloneDVDmobile and have at it!!

im sorry im such a noob:( im not even sure how to do that??

goto the folder that contains cloneDVDmobile with Windows Explorer. Usually C:\Program Files\SlySoft\CloneDVDmobile

Find the Devices.ini file and right click on it and select copy.

somewhere else in the window right click in an empty space and select paste.

This will create a file called "Copy of Devices.ini"

Double click the original Devices.ini. If it asks what program you would like to open the file with select notepad.

scroll to the bottom of the text file.

select and copy the profile at the begining of this thread and paste it onto the end of text file.

Save your file.

Open CloneDVDmobile and select "[* Generic (DivX/AC3) AVI - Forced Subtitles]" as your profile and continue as normal. be sure to select a subtitle if your movie has forced subtitles.

hope that helps

Open CloneDVDmobile and select "[* Generic (DivX/AC3) AVI - Forced Subtitles]" as your profile and continue as normal. be sure to select a subtitle if your movie has forced subtitles.

hope that helps

Dumb question... forced subtitles? Does this mean it will have subtitles? If I don't want subtitles should I still select a subtitle? Sorry if this is stupid... bit of a noobie here

It means that it will only display the "forced subtitles" these are subtitles that are displayed all the time.

An example is when someone is speaking a different language. These are stored in the subtitle stream on the DVD.

If you select a subtitle stream it will only display something if the subtitle has a flag that forces it to be displayed all the time. If there are no "forced subtitles" then nothing will be displayed.

No luck!

I tried creating a Divx AVI with the profile provided, no luck getting 5.1 audio out of my XBox 360. Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong? Thanks!!

Not sure. I have no means to test your file. I guess a better question to start with is how do you know that you are not getting 5.1 sound output?

Simple...

My 5.1 Sony Receiver lights up a big blue light when 5.1 audio is outputed. Plus it displays it in text.

A few questions:
1) How can I tell if the AVI file itself was encoded with AC3 (5.1)? Hmm... I installed DivX Player on my PC and it's telling me the file's audio track is: "8192" (Dolby AC3 Audio) 2 channels, 48000Hz. Why 2 channels?!?!

2) Can the XBox 360 play 5.1 through media streaming rather than through Windows Media Center?

3) Do I need AC3 Filter installed on my PC for CloneDVD Mobile to encode 5.1?

Thanks!

Last edited:
My 5.1 Sony Receiver lights up a big blue light when 5.1 audio is outputed. Plus it displays it in text.

A few questions:
1) How can I tell if the AVI file itself was encoded with AC3 (5.1)? Hmm... I installed DivX Player on my PC and it's telling me the file's audio track is: "8192" (Dolby AC3 Audio) 2 channels, 48000Hz. Why 2 channels?!?!

Download a codec compliance program (G-Spot or MediaInfo.) Some older movies do not have a 5.1 audio track. Make sure you are selecting the 6 channel audio.

2) Can the XBox 360 play 5.1 through media streaming rather than through Windows Media Center?

IIRC AVI cannot be streamed through the Media Center Interface. Only MPEG and WMV. I also remember reading somewhere that the MPEG audio is downmixed to 2 channel when played through the MCE (although I cannot find that source so I could be mistaken. When played through the Media Dashboard the only formats that support 6 channel sound is WMV and AVI.

3) Do I need AC3 Filter installed on my PC for CloneDVD Mobile to encode 5.1?

No you do not, CDVDM copies the audio when re-encoding the video only. If you have AC3 filter installed make sure that it is outputting 5.1 sound and not 2 channel stereo. That could be the issue, AC3 filter is reading the 6 channel sound and downmixing it prior to streaming.

Thanks!

Hope that helps you.

Interesting...

GSpot says:

0x2000 (Dolby AC3) AC3
48000Hz 448 kb/s tot , 6 chnls (3/2 .1)

So I guess CloneDVD Mobile did encode the DivX video correctly. That means my XBox 360 simply won't do 5.1 over Windows Media Player 11 (Media Sharing) or TVersity.

Is this correct?

It is either the Xbox or the PC. If you have the means, copy your file or a smaller test file and play it directly with your xbox.

Just convert 1 chapter of a movie and burn it to a CD. Whole movie onto a data DVD, or copy your movie onto a FAT32 removable drive (thumb drive, external HDD)

Play that using the xbox dashboard and see if that plays as 5.1 on your system. If it does, than the PC is converting it somehow.

If your are using TVersity, I cannot help. I do know that it transcodes the movie on the fly. You should only use that for media that is not supported by the xbox. i.e. raw DVD files.

I did as you instructed. I generated a DivX clip of a movie with AC3. Checked it with GSpot. I played it from a USB thumbdrive (FAT32) with the XBox 360. The movie clip was played in stereo.

Just FYI, if a play the same movie from the DVD it is in 5.1 and when I play games they are in 5.1.

I had the same issue, as well as a few others. I gave up and went to the WD TV and bypassed the 360 completely. It plays everything without hiccup and can even play the DVD in iso form so no need to compress at all.

Anyone know why I'm getting an Unable to play due to missing codec error on my XBOX 360 when I try to play an .avi file using the profile in the first reply to this post?

I do have DIVX installed on my pc and the file plays fine in WMP and in media center on my pc.

Back