• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

What's a good speed INTEL PENTIUN 4?

lordvader

I am in the process of building a computer and I just need some solid advice. My intention is to put an intel 4 and the computer is going to be used for surfing the web and possibly backing up movies with my slysoft. I tend to put about 1GB RAM plus my old X300 Radeon card! No gaming is going to be done. I've noticed on ebay that over 2 GHz is much more expensive than 1GHz-1.8. Would 1.5-2GHz be a decent choice? Just to surf the web and view movies? I am well aware that the more RAM, the slower the Clock. I do not want to be stuck with a slow computer, just a very decent speed! Any advice at all will be very helpful. Thanks ever so much. :confused:

The Intel Core2 Duo processors are pretty decent, and don't seem to be particularly expensive if you go for one of the lower-mid range... 1.86 or 2.13GHz seem to be reasonably priced, at least around here. The price really starts to shoot up once you get to 2.4 and 2.66... and the Core2 Extreme Quad Cores are ludicrously expensive.

P4's are already getting old. I'd shoot for a Socket 478 3.2 gig P4-Prescott

It's cheaper to get one with a mobo and a gig of RAM as a pachage on Ebay than to get just the CPU - get used.

Those are pretty cheap now. And still pack a good wallop. I built an ASUS P4P-800E system with such a P4 about 6 months ago for under $500 including video, drives, memory, case, etc.

-W

Last edited:
Honestly I'd save up for a C2D preferably a E6600 and then you can be set when HD's are readily availible.

The intel E6600 core2duo 2.40 will do everything you want hope this helps:)

P4's ,specifically, are all "good" but they are old technology and not easy to find a quality motherboard to use it in. If your requirements are web surging and maybe some occasional burning, a Celeron would be a good choice.
Intel prices will be reduced, on the 775 CPU's, will be reduced in price by as much as 50% in the second year quarter.
Edit: I just read on another forum that the prices for Intel CPU's will take effect in the 3rd quarter. My info from Intel "might" be for dealers only?

Last edited:
He asked about a Pentium 4 specificly. Amazing how many people inflict personal opinions as opposed to answering the questions as asked. <sigh>

-W

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the input and advice. The reason I chose to build a pentium 4 computer is that this is my first time and I don't have alot of money to do it! I chose to build a lower end inexpesive, simple but decent machine! My real computer has a PENTIUM D 2.8 GHz , 2GB RAM and an X1600 Radeon. More than enough for me! I am doing this for the fun of it, so it is not going to be my main computer. I was just curious about the pentium 4 cpu, that's all. Thanks anyway. 8)

lordvader...If you want to build a PC for the experience and still have a very functional unit on a tight budget. I use THIS Celeron CPU and THIS Asus board to build economical PC's to sell. The two come to less than $125 US.
The board has onboard Graphics and Audio and will also accept Core 2 Duo, Pentium D, and Pentium 4 CPU's. It has an AGP slot and will accept uo to 2GB of TRAM. That makes it very upgradeable.

Back