• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Data to large to write

arosario

I am a recent purchaser of AnyDVD/CloneDVD. System worked fine for past month. However, this past week I am unable to burn any movie under 120 or over 130 mins. CloneDVD (for some unknown reason) is not compressing data. Is there a patch available? Or can you assist. Thanks, Albert

I am a recent purchaser of AnyDVD/CloneDVD. System worked fine for past month. However, this past week I am unable to burn any movie under 120 mins or over 130 mins. CloneDVD (for some unknown reason) is not compressing data. Is there a patch available? Or can you assist? TError Msg "Source to large to write".......thanks, Albert

@ arosario,

Welcome to the Forum.

Usually the problem you are describing is cause by the use of poor quality blank DVD Media, old out dated obsolete DVD Burner Firmware, and/or a combination of booth.

Suggest using known proven quality error fee blank DVD Media such as Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim DVD Media.

Also suggest ensuring that your DVD Burner has the newest most current up to date Firmware available.

Regards,
Coaster

PS- You have inadvertently made two Forum posting concerning the same topic.

arosario,
Do you have the method selected to "DVD5"? You set this in the little dropdown menu located next to the compression meter.

You set it to "DVD5" to rip a Dual Layer original and burn it to a Single Layer media. Or to rip and burn a SL original to a SL media.

You set it to "DL +/- R" to burn a DL original to a DL media.

Best regards,
Whisperer

OK Guys......I always use Verbatim DVD-R....I started with DVD5 and was getting 50% quality..I switch to the one below which provides you w 100% quality. I guess for enhanced resolution. It worked great for several weeks. I will revert to DVD5 and see if burning can be achieved. Note: Since CloneDVD has failed I have been using DVDshrink/DEcrypter and my same Iomega 16x writer and it burns DVD fine. Firmware is up-to-code/date. Will get back to you.........Tks.....

The one below is DVD -/+ R DL. You'll have to use dual layer discs, or you'll have to import it to shrink to get it to fit a single layer.

OK Guys......I always use Verbatim DVD-R....I started with DVD5 and was getting 50% quality.

That's normal depending on the original dvd-video source.

dvd-5 is the setting to use with normal single layer discs (4.7 BG)
dvd +/- R DL is the setting to use with double layer discs (8.5 GB)

That's normal depending on the original dvd-video source.

dvd-5 is the setting to use with normal single layer discs (4.7 BG)
dvd +/- R DL is the setting to use with double layer discs (8.5 GB)
Ok Guys......dvd-5 worked fine. Burned two (2) movies yesterday evening. I will continue testing tonight and inform you tomorrow. Tks for all your help on this-one.

arosario,
I don't think you need to do anymore testing, you can just start backing up your collection. I think your issue was just a misunderstanding of the how the different modes of CloneDVD work.

I may be wrong, but I think you thought that since the "DVD5" setting gives you an undesirable 50% compression when backing up an 8.5GB Dual Layer original to Single Layer media, then if you chose the "DVD +/- R DL" setting you would get no compression (which is true but you have to use DL and not SL media for this to work i.e. CloneDVD knows what kind of media blank you have loaded in your burner). But now you realize that, no matter what, you can't fit an "entire" 8.5GB DL original onto a 4.7GB (actually 4.38 max) SL backup media without major compression no matter what program you use. Depending on the DVD release, many movies alone, even without all the extra stuff on the DVD original, will way exceed 4.38GB depending on the bitrate (visual resolution) of the DVD authoring. I.E. often the time/length of a movie is a less than acurate factor by which to make compression level judgements since two different movies, having the same playtime will occupy way different data space due to the bitrate quality authored into the original DVD. If you want to compress your backups with better quality on the "Quality Meter", use CloneDVD to deselect the unwanted titles such as previews etc and also the language audio tracks you have no use for or just copy the movie only (with "Include Menu" selected: advised for other reasons). This will yeald a lower compression ratio and improve the viewing quality of your backup. Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know!

Don't forget you also have the choice of splitting a DL original onto two SL media to retain 100% quality without compression. Using two SL media is cheaper than the cost of DL media and a DVD changer/player makes playback of split backups a breeze. Or you also have the choice of backing up a DL original to a double layer Verbatim +R media disk. I prefer CloneCD for DL to DL backups but CloneDVD works fine for this.

Good sales on Verb SL and DL going on now if you are in the USA:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=2465

Best regards,
Whisperer

Last edited:
Don't forget you also have the choice of splitting a DL original onto two SL media to retain 100% quality without compression.
How exactly do you do this using clonedvd or is it done using a third party burner, I am playing with my copy of The Departed which is only 54% on single layer, so I have created a D/L file which is now 7.34gb using clonedvd (I don't have clonecd).

How exactly do you do this using clonedvd or is it done using a third party burner, I am playing with my copy of The Departed which is only 54% on single layer, so I have created a D/L file which is now 7.34gb using clonedvd (I don't have clonecd).
No. You don't want the DL ISO method if you are going to split. (CloneDVD, however, will burn a Double Layer backup if this is what you prefer.) Keep CloneDVD set on DVD5 to do a split backup.

Deselect the Titles (if any) that you do not want on your backup. Highlight the Title that is the main movie. Click on the "Scissors" icon. Use the slider bars to allow just enough chapters on Disk1 so that the quality bar is at 100%. Click "next". In the right-hand pane, eliminate any foriegn languages that you do not want on the backup. There is another quality bar to check out on this audio selection page i.e. if your were not quite at 100% on page one, by eliminating foriegn language audio and subtitle tracks on page two, the quality bar may pop up to 100% now. Again, be sure to do this in the right hand pane and not in the left hand pane ... this will set your default audio/subtitle preferrences for all future backups. Click "next" again, choose the speed you want to burn your media at and click "Go". When Disk one is finished burning, go back and put the remaining chapters on Disk2 and then advance the same way and burn disk2.

Test and play with combining the number of chapters to include on each of the two disks, before you go to burning disk1. Experiment with keeping some titles on only one of the two disks, deselecting tracks etc ... in other words practice juggling everything onto two disks and you will get the hang of it after a bit of trial and error. Be sure to keep "Preserve Menus" checked ... you need the menu structure for the correct default audio tracks to play on both split backup disks (i'm not gonna go into detail on that subject so I'm just suggesting it is a good idea to preserve menus)

Every movie is different so get to know how it all works. Encountering an original DVD that has "Angle" titles (several large size titles seem to be exactly the same as each other and they all seem like they could be the main movie on the original) is the only real challenge you will encounter. Sometimes that kind of authoring is tough to figure out how to split, so post back when that day comes and we'll help on that.

Best regards,
Whisperer

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Webslinger, you posted just as I was about to delete my post as I'd alraedy sorted it using the Chapter Cutting feature to create two seperate Dvd's.
Very good results both perfect, thanks again for your time.

That was me, not Webslinger. All he ever does is hang around here :D

Whisperer

Sorry whisperer was reffering to this post above yours by webslinger, you both posted while I was still thinking about it, thanks to you both again much apprieciated for taking the time to reply.:D

My replies tend to suit those who have ADD/ADHD. ;)

Whisperer is good because he often explains in detail what I (and others) don't have the patience to explain. So you should probably read what he typed.

Last edited:
Rcv'd 5X5X5. Your last input was right-on-target....All is well. No issues at this time.Since I am a recent puchaser of your product, I guess I need to explore its full potential. Thanks to all who assisted.

Regards,

arosario

(By Whisperer) No. You don't want the DL ISO method if you are going to split. (CloneDVD, however, will burn a Double Layer backup if this is what you prefer.)
Rather than start a new thread, could whisperer please explain what file format dual layer is written to, I got the impression from the above part of his quote that by default Clonedvd converts a dvd to an ISO when using the D/L option, and also do other encoders generally always use ISO as the D/L standard format. If not what other file formats can D/L be encoded to.

Back