• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

HDDVD and AnyDVD on an Intel 950 Graphics (Mac Mini)

MiniMac

I have seen a post here stating that a Mac Mini 1.83, using AnyDVD HD, PowerDVD 6.5 and the X-Box player, work fine together (with some tearing.)

What about PowerDVD 7.x which now runs a check on the card, and refuses to work if it determines that the card is not "approved"? Does AnyDVD help with this, or is there another way to use the new version of PowerDVD?

Also, if the new 7.x version works with the onboard Intel 950, or other non-approved cards, does it improve on the tearing issue?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Heh, wishful thinking. No it doesn't magically get around the compliance checks in the graphics card drivers. These are performed whether or not you're looking at HDCP protected content. It needs someone to replace the calls into directx with success responses but I'm not a windows programmer.

I'm making do with 6.5 ATM. Tearing seems worst on 24fps material.

Faye

Heh, wishful thinking. No it doesn't magically get around the compliance checks in the graphics card drivers....Faye

Bummer:-( What's with PowerDVD and these crazy new checks?!

Anyway, I've never liked PowerDVD, anyway:) Hopefully, the upcoming WinDVD plug is not going to have such idiotic "feature." Who knows, it may even be better optimized and have less tearing. Could you try the demo when it comes out, and let us know.

Faye, I've taken the liberty of quoting your other post in this MCE on a Mini FAQ: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=816450. Hope you don't mind:)

I'm using a mac mini (1.66 CoreDuo / 1GB RAM) on XP MCE. I've installed a Toshiba Notebook HD_DVD (see pic at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=77500).

I cannot play HD-DVD material, though. PowerDVD Ultra 7.x won't play nice, since it has that stupid hardware check. Even with the absolute latest Intel Drivers. It requires hardware minimums, and those are ATI/Nvidia cards, not Intel 950GMA.

I also tried Intervideo's WinDVD 8 Platinum, but that needs some "addon" that's only available in Japan, and is "soon" to be released here in the US.

So - what do I need to play HD-DVD material (studio discs) on the Mac Mini? Is it simply running PowerDVD 6.5? Or, is there some other software solution (including loading Vista if I have to)?

Rgds,

Jwehman

To play HD DVD, you will need powerdvd 6.5 HDDVD. If you have your display connected digitally (DVI) then you will also need AnyDVD HD. This is why I use AnyDVD.

BTW, are you using the latest Intel driver?

The reason I ask is because they state that they've fixed some HD display corruption, as well as choppy HD playback.

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/df-support/12881/ENG/winvista_relnotes_gfx.htm

It's got Windows Vista written all over it.. is there a hope the drivers will work with XP?

Just tried the new 14.27 6.14.10.4785 XP driver and that still has choppy playback. Maybe it will feed back into the XP driver in a revision or two?

Can anyone who has a Mini running Vista confirm it fixes the problem? I note it says it affects 945G and not GM which is the chipset in the mini.

Thanks for telling us about new drivers!

Last edited:
Got it working on my Mac Mini today (with some limitations)

Hey just found this thread and I am happy to say I installed Boot Camp 1.2 today on a Mini (1.83 w 2GB RAM). I installed a fresh copy of XP Home and then PowerDVD 6.5 and got my HD-DVD files to play just fine.

Here are the details as they say:

PowerDVD 7.0 and higher won't work as it runs the fricken hardware test and the Mini's Inetgrated graphics chip fails so looks like 6.5 is the only option for playback at the moment.

I am playing back my files off a networked drive in another part of the house. PowerDVD will crap out unless you Map the Networked drive to the Mini, after that its all happy with the networked drive.

I am using AnyDVD-HD of course to rip my HD-DVD's to my computer.

You have to go in and edit the XPL file with notepad and comment out the subititles or they can't be turned off. You have to turn off the Ulead PIP on some movies.

Everything plays back just fine withsome slight tearing on fast action sequences.

Forbidden Planet won't work in 6.5 for some reason. Works fine in PowerDVD 7.1 on my main computer (network drive).

Audio is excellent!

Forbidden planet will play in 6.5 if you edit the playlist file and remove all the extra guff.

Subtitles (these are annoying because you can't turn them off)
FirstPlay (I don't want to see the same fbi warning every time I play the disc)
Application... (Causes most movie playing problems)

Maybe once peer is allowed to write the bit that will magic file replace ACA files (along with tools to unpack and pack them) we'll be able to produce "fixed"/cut down versions of the menus and still be able to access special features from menus and maybe the picture in picture stuff etc.

Easier way:

Go into AnyDVD HD (click the fox)
Video HD DVD settings
click on everything above files
it will play with subtitles and you can skip the hddvd promo title.

This is just for information or removing subtitles:

Open your "My Documents" folder. In there is an AnyDVDHD Folder (unless you moved it?) and in there is a directory for each movie title you've played.
In there is a directory for each disc you have matching that title (in case you're completist I guess) and in there is an ADV_OBJS... and finally in there is VPLST000.XPL... open that with notepad.

All the magic is inside <TitleSet></TitleSet> tags. This is XML. It's quite like HTML.

Handily the items are usefully named.

Delete everything between <FirstPlayTitle...> and </FirstPlayTitle>
bingo, no more FBI logo. When I say between... I include those tags too.

Ok. Now from here on in, you can make your own edits, remove bits you want, keep other bits you want. I suggest removing ALL <Subtitle.../> lines.

Any titles you leave in the file must be numbered sequentially starting from 1. This is important or you'll get a crash. You can re order them however you like, but 1..2...3 etc must exist in the file in some order.

For rips, I like to strip everything except the main title, and black. I tell black to loop on itself. If you look at the tags, you'll see it's pretty obvious how it works onEnd="next" etc.

Let's remove title 1 (we have all seen how great HDDVD is)
Renumber title 2 to title 1 (the feature)
Remove all the subtitle lines.
scroll down to "black" title 20.. make it title 2.

remove everything between <PlaylistApplication...> </PlaylistApplication>

Save, eject, reinsert, play.

Last edited:
Actually, I think I just found a bug in AnyDVD.

I left these settings on, and actually removed the things I mentioned in that post and it broke and only saw EVO files on the disc. I'm 99.9% certain I didn't screw up the file format.

I think because it's trying to edit my edited file?

What happens when it tries to remove things which don't exist in the playlist?

Faye

Forbidden Planet works in PowerDVD 7.1 but not 6.5

Which I need for the Mac Mini of course.

Do you have this movie working in 6.5? If not, do you want to look at the XPL file to see if there is something strange?

In 6.5 it starts for about a second (opening) and then nothing, almost like you didn't do anything. Its pretty weird to say the least.

I have everything else working nicely tonight. I found out how to comment out the PIP problems once and for all so things are looking good at the moment!

Its only Forbidden Planet causing a problem with 6.5. :bowdown:

With my updated method and PDVD6.5, Forbidden Planet was working perfectly for me last night. I did make an edit after hitting the checkboxes, but that was just to remove the subs.

Something to bear in mind is that obviously this only works if you're using the disc. If you've already ripped it, AnyDVD HD has nothing more to do with it.

Faye

Would you be willing to post your new XPL file or PM me?

With my updated method and PDVD6.5, Forbidden Planet was working perfectly for me last night. I did make an edit after hitting the checkboxes, but that was just to remove the subs.

Something to bear in mind is that obviously this only works if you're using the disc. If you've already ripped it, AnyDVD HD has nothing more to do with it.

Faye

Back