• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Blu-Ray Drive Recommendations?

notwork

Sorry for the newbie question...I've been looking for this answer, but have come up short.

Which Blu-Ray drive would work best with AnyDVD HD? Or do they all work? Anything I should watch out for? I'm assuming they mostly all do 50gb dual layer and 2x is the common speed. I'd like to go external, so was thinking about the BENQ EW100G, or just getting a Sony/Panasonic/LG/Plextor and an external enclosure.

Thank you in advance! :bowdown:

Thanks for the response. Getting opinions from people on their experience with they drive and how it works with anydvd hd was what I was looking for.

Also, I was hoping somebody from Slysoft would comment on which drives they know are compatible with Anydvd HD.

The reviews I have seen don't really talk about the two together since Anydvd HD Blu-ray support is so new...and this is a $600+ decision.

Thanks.

Thanks for the response. Getting opinions from people on their experience with they drive and how it works with anydvd hd was what I was looking for.

Also, I was hoping somebody from Slysoft would comment on which drives they know are compatible with Anydvd HD.

The reviews I have seen don't really talk about the two together since Anydvd HD Blu-ray support is so new...and this is a $600+ decision.

Thanks.
Not really a recommandation, but the LG GBW-H10N works fine so far. I used it only for reading, I haven't burned a single disc with it yet.
I would avoid the SONY drive, 'cause it is an OEM'd Matsushita/Panasonic. (Region code problems with normal DVDs). I am not sure, but I believe the Plextor drive is an OEM's Matsushita/Panasonic, too.

Well I cannot recommend one because I am in the same boat and looking for one too. However, I am currently considering the following:

Philips SPD7000BD review

And the

LG GBW-H10N review

I already have an Xbox 360 HD DVD drive but I do want a BD burner capable of burning 50GB DL discs and 4x burn capable.

Philips SPD7000 Blu-ray Drive?

Has anyone had experience with the Philips SPD7000 Blu-ray drive?

I’m also considering the Lite-On LH-2B1S with SATA interface which can be had for $529.99 after rebate.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Lite-On-LH-2B1S-Blu-Ray-Disc-Triple-Writer-Review/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106037

The Philips drive seems to require a firmware upgrade to burn 50GB DL discs whereas the Lite-On seems to be able Burn DL at 1x,….

I might just wait for the next generation but I will definitely be researching and comparing prices. Honestly, I would really like to have one of those upcoming LG BD + HD DVD drives.

...The only problem I have with the LG Blu-ray is that the info at lge.com only shows it with a beige faceplate.

I've got the LG and it comes with a black faceplate in the box so you just have to swap it over :)

I just noticed there is new firmware for the LG drive 'GBW-H10N_GL05(EW).zip' but the file is corupt :(

If anyone has it can you please post a copy.

Thanks

Last edited:
I've got the LG and it comes with a black faceplate in the box so you just have to swap it over :)

I just noticed there is new firmware for the LG drive 'GBW-H10N_GL05(EW).zip' but the file is corupt :(

Thanks

Are you in the US. If you are, where did you get it?

I searched the LG sites myself but the file was empty for bios GL05 version. Tried elswhere as well with no success.

Last edited:
GBW-H10N Question

If anyone has it can you please post a copy

Thanks

Looking at the specs at http://www.lge.com/products/model/detail/gbw-h10n.jhtml it doesn't say that it will write to Blu-ray dual-layer discs. Can you confirm whether it does or not?

Last edited:
There is a quite comprehensive list of Blu-ray drives here:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters.php?bdrom=1

SuperGoof, thanks for the “comprehensive list of Blu-ray drives”!!!

No I can see at a glance which drives I am interested in and which I am not. Although, some of the drives listed that don’t have BD-R(E) DL support supposedly will with a firmware update its better IMO to buy one with DL burn support now.

So according to the info on the list the only drives with DL burn support are as follows:

I-O Data BRD-AM2B
I-O Data BRD-UM2
Nu Tech HBR258
Panasonic SW-5582
Panasonic UJ-210 (1x only)
Panasonic UJ-215 (1x only)
Plextor PX-B900A
Sony BWU-100A

The Lite-On and the LG don’t seem to support DL burning currently. Its good to narrow it down some. Now if there is something wrong with the listed DL capable burners I would have to wait for the next generation of drives. Honestly I would like to have dual BD and HD DVD read support in one drive if not dual BD and HD DVD burn capability.

More info about the Philips SPD7000BD

Read the review at http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Philips-SPD7000BD-Blu-ray-TripleWriter-Review/. I gave one a try and it has the same problem reading dual-layer BD discs as the Liteon LH-2B1S. They may even be the same drive, supposedly a Benq.

I called Philips support and they said a new bios was forthcoming that would allow writing to dual-layer BD discs. The only problem I have is they couldn't even give me a web address where I could download the latest driver. They also acknowledged that there was a problem reading dual-layer BD discs.

Because of the poor support, I do not recommend this drive.

The drive has a really nice display for showing if you're using a BD, CD, or DVD disc though.

Last edited:
More info about the Liteon LH-2B1S

I want to change my mind about not recommending this drive because I really like it. Check out the review at http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Lite-On-LH-2B1S-Blu-Ray-Disc-Triple-Writer-Review.

The big problem I have with it is that they tested using a beta bios that the rest of us can't get to. Also, they didn't check for accurate reading of the second layer of dual-layer BD-ROM discs.

I'm very tempted to keep this drive because they say that the new bios will be available soon and that 4x BD-R writing will be supported in the future.

I am so close to recommending this drive but I need the new bios to decide for sure.

I must add, however that the Liteon support is excellent.

I want to change my mind about not recommending this drive because I really like it. Check out the review at http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Lite-On-LH-2B1S-Blu-Ray-Disc-Triple-Writer-Review.

The big problem I have with it is that they tested using a beta bios that the rest of us can't get to. Also, they didn't check for accurate reading of the second layer of dual-layer BD-ROM discs.

I'm very tempted to keep this drive because they say that the new bios will be available soon and that 4x BD-R writing will be supported in the future.

I am so close to recommending this drive but I need the new bios to decide for sure.

I must add, however that the Liteon support is excellent.

I kept the Liteon LH-2B1S. AnyDVD HD 6.1.3.2 reads dual-layer BD-ROM discs fine with this drive and Liteon's promise of a bios update for dual-layer BD writing convinced me to do it.

Thanks

I bought the LG GBW-H10N here in the US and it did not come with with a black faceplate. Where are you located?

Lg Gbw-h10n

This drive is a great BD reader! It reads BD-ROMs in half the time of a 2X reader.

Only 2 complaints, it's beige and it does'nt yet write dual-layer BDs.

I bought the LG GBW-H10N here in the US and it did not come with with a black faceplate. Where are you located?

hmm, I'm located in the UK. Sorry you didn't get the black faceplate but I would think any faceplate and bezel from some old drive will fit.

BTW, did you manage to get to get the latest firmware 'GBW-H10N_GL05(EW).zip' ? The file on LG's download locations are still showing 0k for the file size. I have exchanged several emails with LG UK and they in turn have emailed LG Korea but it seems impossible for such a big corporation to fix such a small problem :mad:

BTW, did you manage to get to get the latest firmware 'GBW-H10N_GL05(EW).zip' ? The file on LG's download locations are still showing 0k for the file size. I have exchanged several emails with LG UK and they in turn have emailed LG Korea but it seems impossible for such a big corporation to fix such a small problem KAZLY BLYAD' :mad:
GBW-H10N

Driver v. GL05

Öèòàòà
Support Windows Vista

http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargement/lg/GBW-H10N_GL05(EW).zip

GCR-8526B

Firmware 1.01

Öèòàòà
Improve Readability for Multi session Disc

http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargement/lg/GCR-8526B101(EW).zip

Back