• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PDVD downscaling even with AnyDVD HD

deandob

Hi,

My first post here - I have the AnyDVD trial and considering buying it, great software, thank you.

My question is about recent postings on Doom9 that indicate that PowerDVD will downscale video even with AnyDVD HD if you dont have a HDCP compliant monitor / projector (see doom9 front page news 3/8 and this thread http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=123048). I dont have HDCP compliant hardware I must admit that when I compare VGA output and DVI with AnyDVD HD I dont see any difference, but I was under the understanding that AnyDVD HD tricks the HDCP detection so you should get full resolution? Can someone confirm if DVI (non HDCP) + PDVD 7.1 + AnyDVD HD = downscaling?

Another question before I part with my cash - what is the future of AnyDVD HD if the AACS LA start revoking the recently hacked keys? Does this mean that my "investment" in AnyDVD will only be able to be used on the older titles? Or will Slysoft follow the cat & mouse game of updating the software to use different keys? Which will mean that the end user will need to be constantly updating the software? This seems such an obvious question that does not appear to be answered in this forum, and apologies if my searching has missed it.

Regards,
Dean

Can someone confirm if DVI (non HDCP) + PDVD 7.1 + AnyDVD HD = downscaling?
I cannot confirm this. PowerDVD plays full resolution (at least 7.1 HD DVD).

Thanks James.

The doom9 reports seem to contradict the reports on avsforum. Is there any way to check that the full resolution is being used in 7.1?

Any comments on my second question about the 'life' of AnyDVD HD due to AACS LA key invocation? If I fork out the cash for AnyDVD how can I be assured in 6 months time I can still use it for new titles?

Regards,
Dean

I went ahead and purchased AnyDVD HD today as I wanted to watch a HD DVD tonight, so I'm hoping that it will still be effective once the inevitable key revocations start happening :)

It also helps that there is a $15 coupon available now and that AnyDVD HD is a well written piece of software - well done :clap:

Regards,
Dean

No, it's only for Dell 30" Monitor, and unfortunately I have this monitor
The Max. resolution of this monitor is 2560 x 1600,
but PowerDVD 7.1/7.2/7.3 only allow Max. 1920 x 1200
the only way to view HD & BD with PowerDVD is lower the resolution if you have 3007FPW like me

HD DVD and Blu-ray Specs

If I've interpreted the specs correctly, the current maximum display modes for HD DVD and Blu-ray are 1080i and 1080p respectively. The 1080 refers to the number of vertical pixels and, according to the specs, the number of horizontal pixels is 1920.

Assuming that the source media resolution is 1920x1080, and the software displaying it does not modify this, the output from a PC to any monitor or HDTV with a resolution below 1920x1080 has to be down-converted, and to any monitor with a resolution above 1920x1080 has to be up-converted.

For one-to-one output to a monitor or HDTV, the video card should be set to 1920x1080 resolution and the monitor or television should have a native resolution of 1920x1080.

I am also having this problem.

I have a Gateway 24" (1200x1920) HDCP compliant

7900 gt (not HDCP compliant) hooked to the 24" through DVI

I got the xbox 360 HD DVD drive, and downloaded the anydvd trial. I am using Powerdvd 7.1 (the HD version)

I do not get full resolution, I think it is downscaling the video to 540p. The menus are in 1080p, but not the feature film.

This doesnt have to do with resolution of monitors, this has to do with the downscaling of the video. I would like to know what part of my system is triggering this downscaling, or if Anydvd can correct it!

-Ben

I got the xbox 360 HD DVD drive, and downloaded the anydvd trial. I am using Powerdvd 7.1 (the HD version)

I do not get full resolution, I think it is downscaling the video to 540p. The menus are in 1080p, but not the feature film.

This doesnt have to do with resolution of monitors, this has to do with the downscaling of the video. I would like to know what part of my system is triggering this downscaling, or if Anydvd can correct it!

-Ben

How you concluded that there is actually a downscaling?

Hdcp

-Ben

My personal; experience is that AnyDVD is not 100% effective in Vista in removing HDCP requirements but is in XP. What opperating system are you using?

I am using Vista ultimate, I will test it out on my brother's XP machine... although it is a weaker system...

My personal; experience is that AnyDVD is not 100% effective in Vista in removing HDCP requirements but is in XP. What opperating system are you using?
I believe this was a driver problem. In my tests AnyDVD HD is 100% effective on Vista.

I believe this was a driver problem. In my tests AnyDVD HD is 100% effective on Vista.

What driver? Is it the video card? The Xbox 360 HD DVD Drive?

Where should I start looking?

And just so I am clear on my expectations, with my 1200 x 1920 monitor, in 1:1 pixel mode. The HD DVD movie should take up 90% of my screen, as opposed to the 50% it is taking up now (in the middle).

What driver? Is it the video card? The Xbox 360 HD DVD Drive?

Where should I start looking?

And just so I am clear on my expectations, with my 1200 x 1920 monitor, in 1:1 pixel mode. The HD DVD movie should take up 90% of my screen, as opposed to the 50% it is taking up now (in the middle).

Nvidia and ATI have the latest drivers on their websites.

Last edited:
Yes, I have all the latest drivers. I am interested in which drivers on my computer may be causing the downscaling.

I want to troubleshoot this problem. Or if anyone else has this same issue?

Actually, I'm going to be perfectly clear:

I have a Gateway 24" FPD2485W hooked to my 7900 GT OC through my DVI port. My drivers are the latest beta 101.41 from Nvidia (8 series drivers that are reverse compatible with 7 series).

Computer:

Opteron 165 @2.5 Ghz (dual core)
2 x 1 gig Ram
160 gig HD
X-Fi Extreme gamer
Windows Vista Ultimate (activated)

At this time, I don't know of any way to tell for sure what the actual resolution that PowerDVD is using when full 1080p resolution is possible.

Have you tried looking at the display using both the dvd and blu-ray versions of a recent movie?

If my memory is correct, the HDCP standard requires that if a monitor or tv is not HDCP compliant then the resolution is reduced to 480p. PowerDVD may be checking to see if the video card is HDCP compliant as well. I don't know if AnyDVD HD can overcome these limitations.

Try upgrading to PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 and see if it helps. You can get it by requesting it through customer support at the Cyberlink website.

I'm fairly sure I'm getting 1920x1080 resolution as I get a lot more detail than normal upscaled DVD, and the 'info' button in PDVD reports 1920x1080.

My setup:
3800 x 2 (slightly overclocked)
XP with the new 100. Nvidia drivers
6600GT
PDVD 7.3
Xbox 360 HD Drive
DVI to Canon Realis SX50 1050x1400 projector running 1:1 pixel mapping

I get the odd blue screen and lockup (PC frozen repeating the last 100ms of audio).

Regards,
Dean

X-Box HD-DVD

I'm fairly sure I'm getting 1920x1080 resolution as I get a lot more detail than normal upscaled DVD, and the 'info' button in PDVD reports 1920x1080.

FYI Guys: The X-Box 360 HD-DVD drive maxes out at 1080i and does NOT support 1080P.

FYI Guys: The X-Box 360 HD-DVD drive maxes out at 1080i and does NOT support 1080P.
On the XBOX360. On the PC the drive has nothing to say about the resolution.

Back