• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

talking about bad discs . . .

Webslinger

Retired Moderator
All this talk about defective dvd-video and defective blu-ray (poorly manufactured discs) movies (just from troubleshooting in the forums), I just remembered my worst purchasing experience.

I remember when Sims 2 was released for the PC; I went out to a mall to buy a copy (for my girlfriend, I swear ;)). I came home, and peeled away the plastic wrap. I popped the disc in my girlfriend's system and started the install. Everything seemed normal. After a minutes, I started getting these crazy read errors. I popped the disc out. Turned it over. I tilted the disc under a strong light, and I remember getting that huge sinking feeling when I saw the not so uncommon white water-like (under the surface) smearing appearance . . . I knew the disc was screwed. I remember being really annoyed by the whole experience (wasting my time . . . having to go back and forth to the store). So, of course, I went back to the store. I managed to get the salesgirl to allow me to attempt to install the game on one of their in-store laptops. Of course, the install didn't work. So she gave me another copy of the Sims 2.

lol. Yeah, again, I stupidly head back home without opening the game and looking at the disc. I go to install the game again, and again the same damn thing happens. Just brutal . . . I remember cursing a lot at this point.

Anyway, the next day, I called back and complained. I went back in. The same salesgirl was there. lol. I'm really laughing remembering this. I recall her almost pleading in a whispered voice, "No. You've got to be kidding." Anyway, we go through the rest of the copies in the store. Over 15 of them . . . just opening them all up. All defective. Seriously, it was maddening. Eventually the store manager showed up. He couldn't believe it either.

Later on, I found out that a lot of people during the week the Sims 2 was released were also going through the same experience. A lot of stores didn't have any problems with their copies of the Sims 2. But a a few did . . . I felt some small comfort knowing that I wasn't alone.

Good ol' Maxis, a division of E.A. They also had me jumping through hoops when Spore was released: http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=134979&postcount=3

I'm sure there's a lesson to be learned here somewhere, I guess. Something about being a pawn of capitalism, cost-cutting, and mass production . . .
Or maybe I'm just too freaking stupid.

Nah, it's all Will Wright's fault. Screw you, Will Wright. Screw you!

;)

Last edited:
And no, SamuriHL and Drinklyenanddie, I will not get a blog. :disagree:

;)

Weird. My Steam games are never corrupt like that. :p :D

:rolleyes:

Sims 2 isn't available from Steam. And even if it were, my g/f (much like I do) prefers having the physical package and a printed manual.

Yea, but, it makes the case for a good backup. In your case, you couldn't even get that far. Physical media has its limitations unfortunately. You couldn't just redownload it. You had to go back to the store...twice. So while I do understand the physical packaging issue, it's still a pain at times like that.

Yea, but, it makes the case for a good backup. In your case, you couldn't even get that far. Physical media has its limitations unfortunately. You couldn't just redownload it. You had to go back to the store...twice. So while I do understand the physical packaging issue, it's still a pain at times like that.

I suppose. However, the game also wasn't available from Steam, regardless (and E.A's downloadable service is another can of worms). Also, while I know many PC gamers like Steam, I have a slight problem in principle with being forced to log into an online service each and every time I'm playing a single player game, but that's another conversation.

Since Gamejackal works with Sims2, that to me, is by far, the preferable choice.

Last edited:
Yup, that works.

Anyway, my overall point in writing the first post was that although I was aware of people buying bad original discs, I was never really hit with how widespread the problem could be. The number of bad pressings for the Sims 2 was mind-boggling (more so, because it affected me . . . a lot of times, in life, it's really easy to not consider an issue until it affects you). Due to cost-cutting measures, especially with respect to where discs are made, bad original disc, whether they are dvd-video movies, PC games, Blu-rays, etc., are becoming more commonplace.

Last edited:
It's been common place for a while now. You only need to look at the forums for "bad disc" to see how many bad presses, bad authoring, badly mfg'd discs there are out there. It's insane. In the rush to increase profits in these dire economic times the problem will likely get worse.

It's been common place for a while now.

Yeah, I know. And I've been around helping people troubleshoot read issues long before you even met me online. It's just that for a few days in September 2004 when the Sims 2 was released, the reality of bad pressings never hit me fully.

You only need to look at the forums for "bad disc" to see how many bad presses, bad authoring, badly mfg'd discs there are out there. It's insane. In the rush to increase profits in these dire economic times the problem will likely get worse.

Yep :(

Yeah, I know. And I've been around helping people troubleshoot read issues long before you even met me online. It's just that for a few days in September 2004 when the Sims 2 was released, the reality of bad pressings never hit me fully.

In fact, I've never encountered anything as severe again either, but I'm sure I will.

Back