• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Not recognizing disc

Oh but it did work(ish). It would happily read and write CDs and non copy protected DVD. It would just not recognise that a copy protected DVD was in the drive at all. AnyDVD reported the drive as empty, as did explorer. However, immediately, I repeat, immediatley after installing AnyDVD the problem started. Coincidence? You can decide for yourself - I don't think so.

And my opinion is as valid as anyone's on this forum!
Is your region code set right?

His old drive does not recognize commercial dvds. It can't see video_ts folders--nothing--even when Anydvd isn't on his system.
Sounds to me like it is dieing. If AnyDVD isn't installed, how could it be responsible? Get a new drive, they have good ones for $30-$35. I got that Pioneer DVR-112D for about $35 Web, works great.

Sounds to me like it is dieing.

Yes

If AnyDVD isn't installed, how could it be responsible?

It's not. A number of people, including myself, have already established this a long time ago.

I got that Pioneer DVR-112D for about $35 Web, works great.

Cool. I haven't seen an official review yet, but I've read good stuff about it. Pioneer drives in the past, the 111 at least, were relatively well built.

Last edited:
If AnyDVD isn't installed, how could it be responsible?

Agreed - If AnyDVD HAD NEVER BEEN INSTALLED, it could not be responsible. But it was installed - afterwards?... read the thread!

Don't get me wrong - I'm not here to bash AnyDVD nor SlySoft. I have bought AnyDVD and Clone DVD after this experience. But I won't subscribe to the naive idea that installing and un-installing a piece of software - any software, leaves a system exactly as it was prior to the original installation.

Webslinger likes analogies.

I have a perfectly working 60w table light with a 3 amp fuse fitted. I install a 500w bulb. Suddently the lamp does not work any more? Coincidence? I take the 500w bulb out and replace it with the 60w bulb (so the 500w bulb can not have anything to do with the problem)- still no joy? Well, sh*t happens - maybe this was just the time for the lamp to go to lamp heaven. Or maybe the 500w bulb blew the fuse?

As the Americans say - "Do the Math"

Last edited:
. But it was installed - afterwards?

Anydvd does not cause hardware failures in drives. Anydvd does not alter the drive's firmware.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not here to bash AnyDVD nor SlySoft.

Sure seems like it to me.

I have a perfectly working 60w table light with a 3 amp fuse fitted. I install a 500w bulb. Suddently the lamp does not work any more? Coincidence? I take the 500w bulb out and replace it with the 60w bulb (so the 500w bulb can not have anything to do with the problem)- still no joy?
Well, sh*t happens - maybe this was just the time for the lamp to go to lamp heaven. Or maybe the 500w bulb blew the fuse?

The problem with your analogy is that Anydvd is a piece of software--not hardware. There's nothing in Anydvd's coding that can physically damage drives. Period

And you forgot something your analogy. You went out and replaced the faulty part, and now the lamp works fine.

It's warmer outside today. I used Anydvd today. Anydvd must be responsible for global warming.

As you Americans say - "Work out the Math"

I'm not American.

Last edited:
Americans Math

That's one of the problems. From the junk that's taught in schools these days, kids can't even make change without a calculator of some kind. Don't ask them to "do the math". :agree:

Anydvd does not cause hardware failures in drives. Anydvd does not alter the drive's firmware.

I do not doubt that for a second. It would be interesting to see if the drive works in another system.

The problem with your analogy is that Anydvd is a piece of software--not hardware. There's nothing in Anydvd's coding that can physically damage drives. Period

How can you be so certain? I am assuming you don't work for SlySoft. Even if you do, no one knows how software will work in every environment. The best developers will tell you there are always unforseen problems/challenges with software. That is why they generally have beta trials and always have legal disclaimers attached to licensing agreements.

And you forgot something your analogy. You went out and replaced the faulty part, and now the lamp works fine.

I replaced the lamp.

I'm not American.

Sorry - lazy use of "you" I corrected my mistake.

I do not doubt that for a second. It would be interesting to see if the drive works in another system.

Yes, and if it does, then the drive isn't damaged--and something on your system is blocking Anydvd from working properly (and as I mentioned before it would still be in your best interest to ask whomever you bought the drive from for a firmware update; if it's Compaq, then ask Compaq). The most likely culprit would be either firmware or a bad ide/ata busmaster driver. But given that you put in a new burner, and it works, then chances are your original burner was dying.

How can you be so certain? I am assuming you don't work for SlySoft.

I don't.

Even if you do, no one knows how software will work in every environment.

The only way in which Anydvd could "wreck" drives is by running Anydvd ripper non-stop--but that would just be a result of normal wear and tear; it would be akin to blaming Blizzard Entertainment for wearing out graphics cards because people play World of Warcraft non-stop with poorly ventilated systems.

The best developers will tell you there are always unforseen problems/challenges with software.

Of course there are--but Anydvd does not physically damage drives, and you can take that to the bank.

I replaced the lamp.

Then your analogy doesn't make any sense, because Anydvd can't be part of your lamp--as a lightbulb. Here is a better analogy:

The year is 3050.
A guy could see properly, but after putting on his new wrap-around shades he found he couldn't see at all. He was puzzled. He bought these new wrap-around shades to help him see better while driving. He took the shades off again. Damn. He still couldn't see.

He goes to see a doctor. The doctor pops out the guy's eyeballs, and gives him new ocular implants. Suddenly he can see again. He puts on his shades. They work! He can see roads clearly; the horizon looks more brilliant than ever.

Electricman says, "I'm 99% sure the shades caused his eye damage."
A number of other people say, "I think his eyes were going bad."

And in the meantime, my girlfriend's rabbit, Bugs, is chewing through my RJ45 cables. Must be Anydvd's fault . . .

Last edited:
The year is 3050.
A guy could see properly, but after putting on his new wrap-around shades he found he couldn't see at all. He was puzzled. He bought these new wrap-around shades to help him see better while driving. He took the shades off again. Damn. He still couldn't see. He goes to see a doctor. The doctor pops out his eyeballs, and gives him new ocular implants. Suddenly he can see again. He puts on his shades. They work!

Electricman says, "I'm 99% sure the shades caused his eye damage."
A number of other people say, "I think his eyes were going bad."
LOL :D :D :D :D

Ok, Thank you for your comments.
I have tried every region code with the exact same result. It will just not read my Original or in fact a Copy DVD. But it will read my CD's ok (Very strange).

Now, I decided to remove AnyDVD 6.1.3.0 and try this version instead 6.0.4.2, 2006 07 28

Guess what it now works ok. (Explain that one then)

I then removed 6.0.4.2 and installed 6.1.3.0 and my problem comes back.

So, this is a Slysoft issue and no one can tell me otherwise. Hope this gets fixed soon.

Thanks, MarkNZ

Ok, Thank you for your comments.
I have tried every region code

I believe that's impossible. You would have run out of changes.
So you must have tried it in Anydvd, which isn't the same thing.
You have to exit Anydvd. And then you have to set the region code of your drive.

1. Right click My Computer-->properties-->hardware-->device manager-->dvd/cd-rom drives-->whatever your drive is-->right click and select "properties"-->select "Dvd region". Select the appropriate country and make the change. Do this without Anydvd running.

2. After, post your Anydvd status screen again with 6.1.3.0 with a commercial original disc in your drive.

3. For your external drive, try enabling "safe mode" in anydvd 6.1.3.0 (click anydvd on your toolbar-->program settings-->"safe mode"

4. There may be a firmware update as well for your external drive. visit
http://au.lgservice.com
Click on Device Driver->DVD-ROM(Writer)
and try running the auto firmware updater

5. Do steps 3 and 4 from http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=1559 please

6. A firmware upgrade is also available for you as well for your internal Tsstcorp drive. visit http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=142388

Last edited:
Sorry still will not work.

1. Have latest firmware allready

2. Safe mode makes no difference

3. The region code has been set to Region 3 in device manager for this drive.
with anydvd not running. Still have same problem.

I have tried my new brand new USB external drive on another computer at work with no problem at all. (NO AnyDVD on on my work computer)

MarkNZ

I'm at work now, will try when I get home.

Just one thing. I cant even see the commercial disk in my drive to get the status. (NO DISK IN DRIVE E - My external USB drive) If I put a commercial music CD in then i can do this, but like i said i will have to do this when i get home. One more thing this happens with Andvd running and off!!!!!

I'm at work now, will try when I get home.

ok

One more thing this happens with Andvd running and off!!!!!

But I thought you said your external drive works on your computer at work, right?

So, if you uninstall Anydvd on your home computer, the external drive will work properly, right? At least, I thought that's what you meant.

Anyway, I really would like to see step 4 from that link I posted (I would like to see what's in your lower and upper filters, please).

1. Another thing to try is to remove all other USB devices from your system--except the external usb drive and see if that helps. Sometimes there are power issues associated with external USB devices.

2. Even try the external usb drive on another usb port on your home computer.

I occasionally have issues with an external usb Medusa 5.1 surround headset on my laptop--unless I also use an external powered usb hub, for instance. But if I put the headset in one of my other systems, it's fine.

Last edited:
Yes it does. But I don't have AnyDVD on my work computer. I can Play a DVD on this drive with no problems at all using windows media player. I will try step4 when I get home. Oh yea, I have tried Other USB ports at home and all have the same issue.

MarkNZ

Yes it does. But I don't have AnyDVD on my work computer.

Try installing the trial and test on your work system. You can uninstall it after.

http://www.slysoft.com/download.html

I can Play a DVD on this drive with no problems at all using windows media player. I will try step4 when I get home. Oh yea, I have tried Other USB ports at home and all have the same issue.

O.k., also try removing all other USB devices, except that drive.

Last edited:
Back