• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Burn speed issues

Charlie

OK well most of the users are familiar with me and I never have an issue, well I have a small one now. I used 3 other programs to burn and ISO image movie all burnt fair but one that I use allows you to set the burn speed which was 18X max and burnt it in 5 minutes and 20 seconds total burn time. I just redid the burn using clonedvd2 and it shows it's burning at 12X and taking 8 minutes to burn. What's the deal here?

OK well most of the users are familiar with me and I never have an issue, well I have a small one now. I used 3 other programs to burn and ISO image movie all burnt fair but one that I use allows you to set the burn speed which was 18X max and burnt it in 5 minutes and 20 seconds total burn time. I just redid the burn using clonedvd2 and it shows it's burning at 12X and taking 8 minutes to burn. What's the deal here?

Could it be "Quality" or the fact that the "Real Speedy 18x and 20x Units" are fairly new and attaining the rated speeds is a "Crap Shoot" at best?

So that makes this program inferior to others I have is this what you are saying then? I get 18X and 20X burn using well I don't want to say it but I get great write speeds using DVD neXt COPY, and this program says 12X. I don't use crap media either.

My drive and PC info.

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652D ( firmware GA01 ), the other drive brand new just got it yesterday, HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42L ( firmware SL00 ). 1 gig RAM DDR2 dual channel, XP MCE 2005 fully updated.

Last edited:
Speed in Clonedvd is based on what the firmware indicates and the media code as far as I can tell.

If your firmware indicates it can write media at 18x, but the media code indicates the media is rated up to 12x, then Clonedvd is probably going to burn at 12x. Or if your DVD firmware says it can burn this media at 12x, but the media code (along with manufacturer id) indicates the speed of the media is rated up to 18x, then the fastest the blank will burn is at 12x.

At least, in my experience, this seems to be the case with Clonedvd/Clonecd. That is, there appears to be two limiting factors: firmware and what the media code indicates.

If you're a "power" burner type of person, I suppose that can be annoying. On the other hand, this method probably helps to ensure better burn quality.

Last edited:
Media is rated at 16X though webslinger. Although this comment makes more sense. Still though why can it write at 18X on another program and same media? Maybe have a suggestion to add what you want to burn at in the program and the end user can choose? Just an ideal.

medianu3.png

Media is rated at 16X though webslinger.

I'm not sure, then. It's been awhile since I've burned anything using Clonedvd. I know Clonecd shows the actual write speed--and not just what the rated burn speed is supposed to be. I forget if Clonedvd shows the same information.

It's also possible the media id code speed still indicates 12x for whatever reason.

Still though why can it write at 18X on another program and same media?

The other program probably isn't enforcing speed restrictions based on firmware/media code.

Maybe have a suggestion to add what you want to burn at in the program and the end user can choose? Just an ideal.

Yeah, well you could certainly send off a suggestion to elby. I suspect the answer is that they want to help ensure decent burn quality, but I do appreciate the criticism.

Last edited:
@ Charlie,

What is the MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) of the particular DVD Media you are using?

I personally haven’t found any blank DVD Media that will Burn at 20x speed. I am curious as to what blank DVD Media you are using that supports Burning at 20x speed.

Regards,
Coaster

PS - Sorry - I now see that in your above #5 posting you provide the blank DVD Media MID.

Last edited:
I'll pass and take your word on it. I finally have 2 great burners and joing the speed demon world now on how fast just for fun this is why I posted. The media ID referring to read @12X makes sense. thanks.

@ Charlie,

What is the MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) of the particular DVD Media you are using?

I personally haven’t found any blank DVD Media that will Burn at 20x speed. I am curious as to what blank DVD Media you are using that supports Burning at 20x speed.

Regards,
Coaster

Verbatims'

But it seems to be software related too.....just to burn this fast. I have found only one program yet. I think one click may too just have to see.

Last edited:
@ Charlie,

James has previously stated that CloneDVD uses a unique burning querying procedure that relies heavily DVD Burner Firmware that differs from other software Burning engines.

This unique DVD Burner Firmware querying used by CloneDVD most likely is the cause in variance in Burning speeds between CloneDVD and the other undisclosed Burning programs you are using.

Just out of curiosity have you performed any Disk Quality Scans of the 20x speed burned Media? If so what was the Quality Score?

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Home-PI_PIF-scanning---Who-to-believe

Regards,
Coaster

No I haven't but on my next burn maybe later today I will do that.

Back