• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Autostart will not work!

4hams

Hey folks I have been using ANYDVD for a couple of years and have always loved the program... I have also recomended it to many on the net.

I have installed Vista Ultimate 3 times now and the Autostart function will not work! It is listed in the ANYDVD settings and it is listed in the Startup programs within msconfig???

This is really beggining to irritate me. :(

Anyone else having such a problem and or has anyone been able to solve this problem?

Thanks! :)

Hi :)
Fancy finding you here.
1st You can use the password approach. Because of how windows Vista loads certain programs. HD activity needs to settle before launching Desktop. The easiest way to allow this is by having to logon & taking your time loggin on.
2nd Is to disable UAC. This depending on programs installed, can lead to problems long term.
Of course you can just lauch manually.
As there's no real fault with AnyDVD or Vista (Just the launching setup. Which is why not all users get the same scenario). The s/w solution may well be a long time coming.

Fancy finding you here.
1st You can use the password approach. Because of how windows Vista loads certain programs. HD activity needs to settle before launching Desktop. The easiest way to allow this is by having to logon & taking your time loggin on.
2nd Is to disable UAC. This depending on programs installed, can lead to problems long term.
Of course you can just lauch manually.
As there's no real fault with AnyDVD or Vista (Just the launching setup. Which is why not all users get the same scenario). The s/w solution may well be a long time coming.

Ya this is the first problem with the program in over 2 years of use...
Thanks zebadee!
It appears that the program is being blocked from starting by windows Defender and the reason is that the driver is not Digitally signed?

I guess this means everyone using Vista Ultimate is having the same issue?

4hams
Yes you're right. About the signing bit. Vista loads signed stuff 1st, then the others. The loggin on gives time for these drivers to be loaded before the launch of desktop.
If desktop launches 1st then some drivers do not fully load. Hence AnyDVD is one such program. For the time being that is.

James et al.
Firstly, the 1st link of Webslingers mentions ZoneAlarm. ZoneAlarm is not Vista ready & in itself can cause problems.
Secondly SlySoft referred to their drivers being signed for Vista. This appears not to be the case.
Windows Vista uses what they call SuperFetch technology. This means if there's no logging on required the Desktop is launched before unsigned drivers are loaded. This in turn allows Windows Defender to halt the starup processes.
The answer in the short term is to create a logon.
If you disable UAC or diable Windows Defender. The result is similar i.e. AnyDVD will load (autostart).
If the driver was signed it would load during the SuperFetch process eliminating the problem.
So I stand by premise that neither program is flawed as such.
SlySoft get their drivers signed or users find ways around problem.
N.B. If AnyDVD is the only program (or there's only very few) to be loaded then this can happen in the SuperFetched load time.
This is why there's a variation on those who have no problem & those who do.

Secondly SlySoft referred to their drivers being signed for Vista. This appears not to be the case.
Sigh. They are, otherwise AnyDVD wouldn't work on Vista64. AnyDVD's driver is loaded a long time before the login takes place, it has nothing to do with AnyDVD not starting.

Yes I know Master Webslinger:bowdown: , I did not intend to imply that the link was inappropriate. But that at present ZoneAlarm & Vista don't get on.:D

Sigh. They are, otherwise AnyDVD wouldn't work on Vista64. AnyDVD's driver is loaded a long time before the login takes place, it has nothing to do with AnyDVD not starting.

Well according to my PC Vista Ultimate 32 bit . AnyDVD drivers 'NOTSIGNED'.
Note in left hand column says 'Not yet classified'.
If there's a login then AnyDVD driver is loaded. I have done this. Set a requirement to logon. Merely so AnyDVD does 'autostart'.

Thought I'd post this showing PCTools Firewall. Note the difference in the signing area & the classification.

Hmm . . .

What does it say under Vista 64?

Last edited:
Webslinger you may have a point. I have been playing around with this 'problem'.
As I understand it (although my PCs Vista is 32 bit, I have access to 64 bit) the program as James says should not load at all if program not signed.
However this then is a problem & not of Slysofts or Vista as such but Windows Defender.(I know this is still Microsoft's area).
The login has the affect of buying time & allowing AnyDVD to load before Windows Defender takes over.
It does appear the Defender is the common factor here.
Disabling UAC means that Defenders control over these programs is over ridden too.

Thought I'd include this as it shows a program with signed drivers but still not classified.

However this then is a problem & not of Slysofts or Vista as such but Windows Defender.(I know this is still Microsoft's area).

If so, then this would imply there's a bug in Windows Defender, no?

By the way, I know in betas of Vista it was possible to disable or circumvent the signed driver requirement.
I have no idea if it's still possible.

Last edited:
If so, then this would imply there's a bug in Windows Defender, no?

Yes I concede that or least a problem about how they update.
My initial post though said that I did not believe there to be a bug as such in relation to Slysoft or Vista. I still don't. If that were the case it wouldn't be so easy to work around.

Back