• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

A Mircale or Luck on My copy

Mudd

I'm new at this. I'm old and closed mind. Something I did worked out and I'm asking if this is proper way to do this.

I was going to make a backup of "Flag of Our Fathers" and when inserted into Clone DVD it showed it was going to be in the Yellow as to quality. Decided to run it with Shrink and from there to the HD, and from there to Clone DVD. When placed in Clone DVD the second time after Shrink, the quality of the burn was going to be all the way in the green

I comparied it to the original and I can't see any difference with these old eyes. Did I do it the proper way? Please, if I didn't somebody set me straight. I'm nearly 73 years old and having a ball with this.

Mudd

Yes you did! (see the exception for some newer Sony DVD's as pointed out by myself and Webslinger below)

If a movie needs to actually be shrunk in order to burn it to a DVD it's better to Shrink it with Shrink. Shrink has a better quality transcoder than CloneDVD - and the more you gotta shrink it - the more you'll notice it. If you check the 2 quality boxes in the Shrink options, and select "extra sharp" - it takes the longest of all - but does the best job.

*Some* of the new Sony movies can't be ripped (compressed or not) to the hard drive with just AnyDVd and Shrink. In those special cases you need to add the extra step of ripping it to the HD with CloneDVD (uncompressed), then opening it from the Hard Drive with Shrink and Shrinking it, and then open that output folder on the HD with CloneDVD to burn it to a blank DVD.

Something else to remember in the way of quality: If you take JUST the "main movie" with the AC3-5.1 audio track selected, you'll get the best video quality possible out of CloneDVD2 or DVDShrink for your backup disk. (this assumes you can live without the menus and extra stuff)

-W

-W

Last edited:
My name is Mudd..........sorry had to say it.

Most people say Shrink has better compression then Clonedvd, so you must of done it right if the quality is just as good. I think the only way to see the difference is with a 50" LCD.

Did I do it the proper way?

Hi,

The answer to your question is no. You rip to the hard drive first using Clonedvd (select "dvd +/-r DL near the quality bar and choose "dvd files" for the output method). In Clonedvd you remove the titles you don't want, the audio tracks you don't want, etc. You then import that rip into Shrink and burn.

In other words, you rip with Clonedvd2 first--and then import that rip into Shrink (not vice versa). By doing this you help to ensure compatibility with Anydvd--and you can also eliminate a lot of stuff you don't want before using Shrink. Shrink is not compatible with Anydvd for full disk backups of certain Sony releases--while Clonedvd is.

Or if you're happy with Clonedvd2's transcoder quality (you're probably not going to see a much of a difference between Shrink and Clonedvd2 when Clonedvd2 is showing 85% or higher in its quality bar), then you don't need to use Shrink at all. I recommend reading http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 fully

Regards,

Webslinger

Last edited:
Hi,

The answer to your question is no. You rip to the hard drive first using Clonedvd (select "dvd +/-r DL near the quality bar and choose "dvd files" for the output method). In Clonedvd you remove the titles you don't want, the audio tracks you don't want, etc. You then import that rip into Shrink and burn.

He's using CloneDVD2 as his burner-ware. So he has to re-import his Shrink output folder into CloneDVD2 in order to burn it. He got that part right on his own.

Other than a few new Sony releases, he can rip straight to the drive with AnyDVD and Shrink - and still de-select all the extra crap - saving a step.

-W

He's using CloneDVD2 as his burner-ware. So he has to re-import his Shrink output folder into CloneDVD2 in order to burn it.

This isn't apparent to me based on information provided in his post. If he doesn't have Nero or another burning app, then yes, he will have to burn with Clonedvd2. Regardless, the proper method is to rip first with Clonedvd2--and then compress with Shrink (you're also removing all the stuff you don't need in Clonedvd2 first--and in the future, if it's not just Sony stuff giving trouble with Anydvd/Shrink then doing it this way will help ensure unexpected issues won't arise)). Doing it in this manner the first time saves on explaining complications that may arise later.

Last edited:
Ya, as I read it, he's burning with CloneDVD2.

I agree with you that ripping to the drive first with CloneDVD2 set to a DL disk so that it does not not compress is a more consistant S.O.P. - BUT...

The reason I suggested that he was right the first time is that: For those titles that *can* be done with AnyDVD and Shrink alone it's better to do the "redux" from DVD to HD, than from HD to HD.

Assuming the user has only one HD in is computer. When you compress from a disk file to a disk file, the hard drive sees a lot of of wear and tear as it picks up read data "over here" and then writes it "over there", kinda like doing a de-frag operation every time you compress a movie. I lost a 40g drive a couple years ago due to various "DVD abuse" - one of which was always doing HD to HD transcodes. (Another was ripping 2 DVD's at the same time)

Since only about 1/4 of the new releases have the new Sony crap, and since in the bigger picture they comprise less than 1% of the total DVD population available to a user. I'd postulate that trying the DVD to HD redux first (like he did) is still the best option (for the sake of the drive) and then use CloneDVD2 to rip the funny ones that wont go, (the Sony ones that won't go give an error message quickly) Not as consistant - you're right, but considering 99% of the movies ever made will work that way - it's much easier on the drive overall.

-W

Last edited:
The reason I suggested that he was right the first time is that: For those titles that *can* be done with AnyDVD and Shrink alone it's better to do the "redux" from DVD to HD, than from HD to HD.

Depending on hardware specs, advanced analysis in Shrink processes faster when the rip is already on the hard drive. If you have a good quality hard drive, it should last longer than most readers (5 year warranty on Seagate hard drives for instance--as opposed to 1 year on many optical drives). And again, I see no definitive proof that the OP doesn't have some other burning engine on his system that Shrink can hook into.

I can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt to a jury of 12 that the OP doesn't have a burning engine other than CloneDVD2. :D
But this sentence ("When placed in Clone DVD the second time after Shrink, the quality of the burn was going to be all the way in the green") led me to infer that he was using CloneDVD2 as his burner.

As for the hard drive issue - I think we both posted enough good text so that the OP can see that there are 2 ways to reach the same end and make an informed choice as to exact methodology.

-W

But this sentence ("When placed in Clone DVD the second time after Shrink, the quality of the burn was going to be all the way in the green") led me to infer that he was using CloneDVD2 as his burner.

Yes, he did use Clonedvd2 as his burning application. I'm still wondering, however, if this was simply as a result of using Shrink first--and then Clonedvd (and not vice versa--or even if the OP realizes he may not have had to use Clonedvd at all. I also wonder if the OP realizes he may not have had to use Shrink at all either.).

Last edited:
I just knew I would open a can of worms with this. Still I need to know.

I have a LiteOn Burner.
I have XP MCE CPU 3.2 Hyper Drive
1GB Ram
2 160 HD (Dell's Stuff)
NEC Burner

Maybe I can be clearer. I first put the CD Movie into DVD Clone and saw it was in the yellow about 75%. Surmised this was not good. Then opened the Shrink, used it to send to HD compressed. From HD back to DVD Clone where the movie indicated it would burn in all Green (100%. I removed the menu and other useless stuff just before burning with the Clone DVD.

I apologize for not being able to talk in terms learned people use this type of technology. I just don't know most of it.

Now there are two very knowledgeable people giving me instructions and I truly appreciate it.

I'm unclear about the Burn. Should I use Clone DVD to HD, taking out useless and then to the Shrink and then to Clone DVD again.

Needless to say I'm confused.

I'm unclear about the Burn. Should I use Clone DVD to HD, taking out useless and then to the Shrink and then to Clone DVD again.

Does the burn button in your version of Shrink work?

If so, you rip to the hard drive first using Clonedvd (select "dvd +/-r DL near the quality bar and choose "dvd files" for the output method). In Clonedvd you remove the titles you don't want, the audio tracks you don't want, etc. You then import that rip into Shrink and burn.

I recommend reading http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476
and http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=328 fully

Thanks again. Believe I've got it now. And yes the BURN button in Shrink does work.

The Forum is like an Education to me. I thank the people responsible for it.

Thanks again. Believe I've got it now. And yes the BURN button in Shrink does work.

Ok, well, I meant, "Are you able to burn from Shrink". Shrink doesn't burn without having Nero or some burning application installed that Shrink can hook into.

Anyway, if the quality bar in Clonedvd2 is showing 85% or better, I recommend not using Shrink at all.
In such instances, read http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 fully

By the way, I prefer to avoid all that compressing nonsense (but I'm probably in the minority). This is my preferred
method of backing up dvd-video:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=327

Last edited:
Don't know about burning from Shrink. Haven't tried that. The Burn Button when pushed seems to be ready to Burn. I have Roxio installed, as it came from Dell.

I'm aware of your feelings on Compression as you have posted before on this subject. I remembered your comment about "85%" or better and that is why I used Shrink this time.

Don't do this burn thing but a couple times a month when Grouch buys a new Movie. I enjoy it as it's something new for me.

Don't know about burning from Shrink. Haven't tried that.

Well, if you can burn from Shrink, the proper method would be to rip using Clonedvd2 (without any compression by selecting "dvd +/-r DL near the quality bar), and then import that rip into Shrink (and I would use "deep analysis") and burn from Shrink.

There are many Shrink guides out there. Here's one:

http://www.dvdr-digest.com/articles/23_1.html

By the way, I must compliment you on being a quick learner.

Last edited:
Back