• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

problems with Memorex

In my opinion just about all media made in Taiwan is crap with the exception of Verbatim and the newer Sony media, TDK -R is ok. The media I use the most is Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim, I also have some made in Japan Maxells which are also really good but are hard to find most of the time. I have only had one burn fail with Verbatim, never had one fail with Taiyo Yuden, had maybe 5 with TDK and none with made in Japan Maxel, however I will never buy TDK +R 16X media again as it can have a CMC-MAG media I.D. This is from a little over 1000 dvd`s burned to date.

Last edited:
Memorex = No Problems

I guess most of you have crappy burners because for the past 2 years I have been using Memorex media and have absolutely no problems to date. Yes occasionally I may get a coaster in a pack, just like any other companies media, but I have no problems playing any of the movies I have burnt, even the very first movie I copied, in almost any DVD player I’ve tried. I’m sorry to burst your bubble, but from personal experience, Memorex makes a great product that lasts for quite some time.

I once had a 100/pk spindle of Memorex whites. 100% coasters @ 8x with my Sony 710; 20% coasters @ 6x; 0% coasters @ 4x.

I get 100% perfection even w/CMC's @ 4x, so I keep two brands going here: Verbatim's for archival stuff & the $28/100 pk Wal-Mart Specials for casual burning.

Houdini

I guess most of you have crappy burners because for the past 2 years I have been using Memorex media and have absolutely no problems to date. Yes occasionally I may get a coaster in a pack, just like any other companies media, but I have no problems playing any of the movies I have burnt, even the very first movie I copied, in almost any DVD player I’ve tried. I’m sorry to burst your bubble, but from personal experience, Memorex makes a great product that lasts for quite some time.

I have been using anydvd and clone dvd now for a couple years, and I have heard people complain a lot about certain media brands being routinely bad when used with anydvd and clone dvd. I also have used memorex blank dvd+r for a good portion of my back-ups and have never had a problem. In fact I have used just about every type of media brand available at one time or another and have never found one brand that has ever given me a single issue. Sure every once in a while you do get a bad disc. I would say on average, that in a spindle of 50 that 4 or 5 tend to be bad discs in my personal experience. I either throw those bad discs out, play mini-frisbee with them or use them as coasters. But when it comes to the myth of there being specifically bad brands, I have never found any. I have burnt my backups on a variety of different burners with a few different pcs, and played those copies on more dvd players either portable or not than I can remeber, and have even played them on a couple different laptops and still have never experienced any problems.

The only problem I ever had with making back-ups was an issue with episodic dvds, but that turned out to be a setting issue and as soon as I discovered it, I corrected it and everything has been fine since. So, and I dont wish to offend anyone here, but I definitely have to disagree with the specific bad media brand myth. I would say, based on my own personal experience, that 98% of any problems with back-ups made using anydvd to rip and clone dvd to burn are either settings related, dvd burner hardware/software related, or some software conflict/setting conflict with your pc. The other 2% would be due to the occasional bad disc in a bundle.

I have been using anydvd and clone dvd now for a couple years, and I have heard people complain a lot about certain media brands being routinely bad when used with anydvd and clone dvd. I also have used memorex blank dvd+r for a good portion of my back-ups and have never had a problem.

Memorex is, on average, utter junk and should be avoided

Consider yourself lucky if your backups still work 5 years from now

The other 2% would be due to the occasional bad disc in a bundle.

No. The vast majority of stuttering and burn issues on these forums is a result of using junk blank media

Memorex is, on average, utter junk and should be avoided

Consider yourself lucky if your backups still work 5 years from now

No. The vast majority of stuttering and burn issues on these forums is a result of using junk blank media

Like I said, memorex or any of the other media I use hasnt been an issue, but the occasional bad discs can and do cause the above issues. After all, the problems you do hear about are in fact a small portion of overwhelming number of people who not only use any dvd and clone dvd but probably also use memorex and/or some other media brand that has been said to be bad. Since the people who arent having any issues with those programs or memorex blank media arent generally posting here, there is no real way to tell if bad blank media brands really are a factor. But my memorex discs from 10 years ago still work fine, other than re-copying some due to the normal degradation from usage. So I dont know what to tell ya, other than use what works best for you. But regardless of all of that, the bad media myth mostly comes down to preference in my opinion. Sorry to disagree with you, but I could understand if they had ever given me the problems you describe, but they never have.

Last edited:
But the bad media myth mostly comes down to preference in my opinion.

It's not a myth. It's a fact. It's from the experience of thousands of users, experienced testers, and people who burn blank media on an industrial level (several million a year). On this forum alone, those that use Memorex tend to experience the most problems.

And people who use junk should expect problems.

If you want to go around believing Princo and other crap are perfectly fine, that's your choice, but I do not want to see anyone recommending this crap to forum users.

Last edited:
It's not a myth. It's a fact. It's from the experience of thousands of users, experienced testers, and people who burn blank media on an industrial level (several million a year). On this forum alone, those that use Memorex tend to experience the most problems.

And people who use junk should expect problems.

If you want to go around believing Princo and other crap are perfectly fine, that's your choice, but I do not want to see anyone recommending this crap to forum users.

Well as I said, sorry to disagree with you, but I stand by my earlier statements. If that offends you then I am sorry, but I tend to recommend products and services that I personally find to be reliable in my own personal experience. I have never used princo though.

Well as I said, sorry to disagree with you, but I stand by my earlier statements. If that offends you then I am sorry, but I tend to recommend products and services that I personally find to be reliable in my own personal experience. I have never used princo though.

You can believe what you want. If you go around on these forums, recommending junk to people I will take serious exception (not all Memorex is junk, but on average, it is too variable in quality to be seriously recommended to anyone).
:policeman:

Last edited:
You can believe what you want. If you go around on these forums, recommending junk to people I will take serious exception. :policeman:

Like I said, I stand by my statements. It's not a belief on my part, I, unlike you have tested memorex, and am speaking for real world experience. Rather than get upset about the facts I have rebutted your views with or "take serious exception" to them, why don't we just continue to enjoy what slysoft has to offer. Either way though, I will still recommend whatever brand of media I choose to recommend, based on my 'actual" experience, whether you web, or anyone else "takes serious exception" to it or not.

Last edited:
Sorry, but there will always be those who havent had the issues you have described

Of course. Most have no experience testing blank media (much less thousands of blanks) over a wide variety of burners, don't know how to read pi/po and jitter scans, and, in general, are uninformed.

Memorex outsources its contracts to the lowest bidder (bad news). Memorex does not make its own blank media (not a big deal, since many companies don't).

Unfortunately, those who help out around here have enough problems teaching people without adding mediocre, variable, blank media into the mix. And Memorex falls into this category (some is o.k.; some is horrible; it's like playing Russian Roulette).

And Princo is pretty bad.

Last edited:
Of course. Most have no experience testing blank media (much less thousands of blanks) over a wide variety of burners, don't know how to read pi/po and jitter scans, and, in general, are uninformed.
Most of your laymen users of these programs arent going to be testing blank media as a general rule either. They would only know what they have personally experienced as their own frame of reference when it comes to recommending this brand or another. So naturally if that person has not experienced a problem with a particular brand or has always had good experiences with a particular brand, than they will most likely either recommend that brand and/or not condemn that brand.

Also lets be honest here Webslinger, you are not an experienced tester, you have not tested 1000s of memorex blank media discs, or any other media brand discs on a wide variety of burners, and you definitely aren't reading pi/po and jitter scans anymore than any other layman user. Sure you want everyone here to think you are doing all of that, and you want everyone here to think you know what you are talking about, but you only know what you have been told by others. You are only regurgitating the same information you have been fed by others trying to sell one brand of media over another. The fact of the matter is that most of the people who have fed you that information do not even know what they are talking about either, so most of the "points" you make are little more than hearsay and second hand information. You are just another layman user like most of the other people reading this thread.

So all of this issue actually does come down to personal experience. If the standard user hasn't had problems with memorex media, or any other particular brand name, then they are going to disagree with your assessment. Speaking for myself, I have never had any issues with memorex media, and I unlike you, am an experienced tester who has exhaustively tested memorex media over the last 14 years. I have found that even copies I have made with memorex media over 10 years ago still play just as well and with no noticeable issues like they did when I first burnt movies to them. So again, I disagree with you.

Last edited:
I will continue using the brands I do, but if I do have any problems, its a simple matter to just use a different brand.

That's fine. I don't care what you use if you're not having problems. I do care about people recommending Memorex to people that are having problems.

Recommended Blank Media

CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro (these are Taiyo Yudens with a protective coating), Verbatim Datalife Plus, and Taiyo Yuden
DVD±Rs = Maxell Broadcast Quality Series 8x (not regular junk Maxells you find everywhere . . . I'm not sure if these are being made anymore), Verbatim Datalife Plus (avoid Ritek made Verbatims), and Taiyo Yuden (not Valueline, not Trublu) 8x
DVD+R DLs = Verbatim made in Singapore (preferably not India) and MAM-A 8x only
dvd -R DL = useless format

These have a special anti-scratch coating:

1. Taiyo Yuden (That's) Triple Guard (sometimes called "Triple Coated" in the U.K.)

Good luck finding these in North America (someone may be able to special order them for you). They are sold in Japan.

2. Maxell Broadcast Quality -- very expensive and not easy to find (I'm not even sure if Maxell Japan still makes them)
Maxell (X-Treme) Protek also has an anti-scratch coating

3. Verbatim Videguard -- not cheap either, but you can find them at Amazon

4. It's possible that Mori Media in Japan also produces something with an anti-scratch coating, but I'm not overly familiar with Mori media (but Mori is another premium brand)

This stuff with anti-scratch coating may run anywhere from $2.80-$7 per blank

Last edited:
I'm thrilled for anyone who has had success using Memorex (or any other sub-standard media) to back up their valuable DVD's.
Be certain that those persons will regret that choice in due time. Hopefully they have their original DVD's stored safely.

I'm thrilled for anyone who has had success using Memorex (or any other sub-standard media) to back up their valuable DVD's.
Be certain that those persons will regret that choice in due time. Hopefully they have their original DVD's stored safely.

Well isnt that the point of backing up your original dvds???, so you can keep them safely so as not to have to go and buy replacements in the event that they would get damaged or just worn from being played over time. Afterall if you are making back-ups for this purpose then if your back-ups get worn or damaged you can simply make new back-ups at no cost other than the price of the blank media. As for any regrets, I havent had any in the last 14+ years of using what you folks have called "sub standard media", they still play fine and if I would have any future problems I can always make a new back-up. So I AM CERTAIN that I WONT have any real regrets regardless of what media brand I use. Either way, there is no complaints here.

I am also not the only one who has not had any problems, NeO6274 hasnt, and quite a few other people that I know outside of this forum who use these programs and memorex as well as some of the other un-popular or substandard brands feel the same as I do and also have no complaints/regrets. In fact the only complaints that I have seen have been those whose feathers I seemed to have ruffled by openly disagreeing, for which I do not apologize. As I stated to webslinger, I stand by my statements and my choices, even if they might differ from the mainstream. Hopefully this isnt going to end up being a continuous arguement on this subject, as it really seems now that everyone is just repeating the same things. Not much esle can really be said about this subject. No matter what is said it wont change my attitude or view on this subject as it wont change the view of anyone else here who also hasnt had much in the line of problems from the unpopular media brands. The bottom line is that I have not ever encountered any routine problems that have been specific to any certain brand of blank dvd+r media, and that any problems that I have encountered have been software setting related or due to the occasional bad disc which is often present in any bundle of media regardless of the brand name. Obviously some people here take extreme offense to that, but It is still the truth as it has been in my own experience that I have tested out over several years to prove my points. There is nothing more I can say on the subject other than when anyone asks me whether memorex or any other un-popular media brand is worth using or not, I will still recommend the brands I use even if they are on that un-popular list.

Last edited:
There is nothing more I can say on the subject other than when anyone asks me whether memorex or any other un-popular media brand is worth using or not, I will still recommend the brands I use even if they are on that un-popular list.

I respectfully request that you do not do so on these forums.

And Memorex is a highly popular brand based on sales. But just like most things, simply because something is popular doesn't mean it's good (in fact, in this case, it's quite the opposite).

Last edited:
I respectfully request that you do not do so on these forums.

I "respectfully" decline your request Web. I will recommend whatever brand of blank media I choose to recommend on this forum and any others I post at no matter what exceptions you or anyone else take to it or how any of you might feel about it. If someone asks me about my experiences with any of the un-popular media brands that I have used, not just memorex, I wont lie to them, I will relay to them truthfully my personal experiences with those brands as I have already done here. If you don't like that, than that is your problem, not mine.

Last edited:
The people that are telling you that Memorex is junk are people that have years of experience dealing with problems that arise from those that use it.
Feel free to ignore that accumulated knowledge but please do not encourage others to do the same.

Sony is a good brand to use (DVD-R or DVD+R). I usually buy them when they are on sell for $23.00. Haven't had any problems out of them in the past 3 years.

Back