• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

intermittent digitized glitches on burned movies

ETCOPY1

For Many Months Now When I Burn A Movie, I Get Intermittent Digitized Glitches Thru The Movie. Verified That The Original Is Clean + Not Scratched,slowed Down The Write To 4x,tried Different Blank Disc's---no Help. Any Ideas? All Of My Anydvd + Clonedvd2 Software Is Up To Date. The Only Thing Left Is Maybe Trying A Different Burner, But It Is Only 1 Yr Old. Please Help.

For Many Months Now When I Burn A Movie, I Get Intermittent Digitized Glitches Thru The Movie. Verified That The Original Is Clean + Not Scratched,slowed Down The Write To 4x,tried Different Blank Disc's---no Help. Any Ideas? All Of My Anydvd + Clonedvd2 Software Is Up To Date. The Only Thing Left Is Maybe Trying A Different Burner, But It Is Only 1 Yr Old. Please Help.

You have tried the obvious (burn speed and media) What brand of media are you using? Have you tried Verbatim? The age of a DVDRW isn't as important as how much it has been used. I have an old Lite-On 411 that hasd over 300 burns on it and it still works but I have seen other units fail with a lot less. Do you get the pixelation on your PC as well as your DVDPlayer. Have you tried the discs in a different player?

good advice, except for item #4

"4. Burn at 4x max (8x on really good media). It only takes an extra few minutes."

4x, even when that post was mde in 2005, is a bit slow and will probably result in more errors on the disc. It just depends upon your burner, but most like 8x with 8x media, slowing the burns down below that almost always results in a poorer quality burn.

The best advice was at the top - buy good media, the next most important was at the end - use CDSpeed or something similar to test your burns so you know exactly what media and what speeds give you the best burns.

In my experience Taeo Yuden 8x burnt at 8x gives the best, but your mileage may vary . . .

Do You Think It Could Be The Player? Do Any Of You Guys Recommend A Good Dvd Player That Will Play Dvd+r,-r, Mp3 , Etc., That Won't Break The Bank?

good advice, except for item #4

"4. Burn at 4x max (8x on really good media). It only takes an extra few minutes."

4x, even when that post was mde in 2005, is a bit slow and will probably result in more errors on the disc. It just depends upon your burner, but most like 8x with 8x media, slowing the burns down below that almost always results in a poorer quality burn.

Wrong.....
IMO, #4 is excellent advice. I burn only at 4x and, like many others, have never had a problem.

Do You Think It Could Be The Player? Do Any Of You Guys Recommend A Good Dvd Player That Will Play Dvd+r,-r, Mp3 , Etc., That Won't Break The Bank?

If possible,try a couple of your discs in a friends player. Almost any of the cheapy players will play anything that you can load in the slot. Wal-Mart and many other discount stores carry a good selection. Some as cheap as $30.

Wrong.....
IMO, #4 is excellent advice. I burn only at 4x and, like many others, have never had a problem.

I'm not saying that advice is wrong but it is pretty outdated.
Rule of thumb.........burn at 1/2 the rated speed of the media. I burn Verbatim 16X+r's at 16X (on home built PC's) and don't have any problems but I don't recommend that to everyone.

Wrong.....

If you think it's wrong then you aren't following rule #8 which is Verify afterwards and test your burn!

I've never seen an 8x burner that burnt anything but 4x media better at 4x! Period. I lurk about on various forums and I've never seen any one with an 8x or faster burner post a scan of a better burn at 4x on QUALITY media either.

This whole burn slow for better results has been around for years now. It was quite prevelent in the PS2 / XBox communities too, but facts is facts and if you take the time to learn how to use KProbe, CDSpeed, or whatever and how to read the results you will quickly come to find what media and what burning speeds your particular combination does the best at. I'm betting quality media burnt at 8x on about any 8x or faster drive will give ya the best results . . . that comes from the experience of literally thousands of burns and thousands of quality scans as well as the review of about as many scans on the various forums.

Don't take our word for it - do some burns and scans for youself . . . then come back and post your results!

As far as it being the player . . . could be, some are pickier than others. It's also an odd fact that most of the cheapies are the most compatible! If you are using +Rs try using -Rs as some old players are happier with -Rs.

The best bet is to do some quality scans on the discs themselves though, that'll tell the story pretty quickly.

BTW, testing media and burn speeds is a good idea even if you aren't having problems . . . a disc with lots of errors may still play OK, but with so many errors it may not be very tolerant of scratches, dust, uv exposure, etc. so just because they play OK now doesn't mean they will in the future. Taking the time to figure out how to create the very best burns is the best insurance towards a long and happy video collection life span.

For me, the only "scan" that is meaningful is what it looks like in my player. If perchance your burned disc "goes bad" with time/use, just burn another from your pristine collection of thousands of "originals".

I burn my 8x media(TYs) at 4x with very successful results and have no use for technical scans. As long as you own the "pristine Original " DVD, you should have no problems re-copying, if needed...

I, too, am basing my Opinions on my experiences and will continue to do what I find works very well for me. Of course I speak only for myself and not for the "burning community". However, if you want to burn at Max speed, then by all means go for it.:D

For me, the only "scan" that is meaningful is what it looks like in my player. If perchance your burned disc "goes bad" with time/use, just burn another from your pristine collection of thousands of "originals".

I burn my 8x media(TYs) at 4x with very successful results and have no use for technical scans. As long as you own the "pristine Original " DVD, you should have no problems re-copying, if needed...

I, too, am basing my Opinions on my experiences and will continue to do what I find works very well for me. Of course I speak only for myself and not for the "burning community". However, if you want to burn at Max speed, then by all means go for it.:D

I agree with you here. I have still some very old memorex out that I bought and used to back up some movies and this was done right around the same time dvd x copy was out and they still play flawlessly.

bilbo65,

The “The Golden Rules of Burning” that you quote is antiquated information and does not apply to the modern DVD Media and Modern DVD Burners.

The new modern DVD Burners have higher more powerful lasers. Burning at slow speed allows the more powerful laser stay focused longer on an area of disk. This causes the data to be “over burned” and distorted by the more powerful laser degrading the quality of the burn not improving the quality of Burn. This fact is substantiated and well documented by reviewing Disk Quality Scanning graphs that are prominently posted at various Web Sites.

Since you don’t value “Disk Quality Scanning” you are unaware of the detrimental effect of modern DVD Burners burning data to modern DVD Media at slow Burning speeds.

Regards,
Coaster

1. I haven't quoted any "Golden Rules of Burning".:confused:

2. I don't "watch" scans, I watch movies on my player/TV.

3. Underburn can be as detrimental as overburn.

4. You do what works for you and I will do likewise.:D

Then you will probably eventually just waste time reburning from the originals and money replacing discs! It's just that simple . . . it's quite possible to get a burn that looks good when viewed originally but in reality has lots of errors and will be intolerant of any type of media degradation, or your current player may not be picky but when it dies you may get a picky one to replace it and find that it's suddenly having issues with all your backups! That'd suck!

Nuthin' worse than wanting to watch a flick and the darn thing doesn't play, or worse yet you get half way through it and find it has problems, then ya gotta get up, dig up the original, re-rip it, dig up a blank, reburn it, and then finally you can get back to watching your flick . . . what a pain! All probably avoidable if you'd just taken a little time and tested your media and burn speeds and adjusted to whatever gave you the best results.

I found it interesting that you spoke with authority that 4x burning with 8x or faster burners and media would produce superior results when in fact you had nothing to base that on except the picture on your TV which is definitely not the whole story when it comes to media recording quality! In the future you might want to refrain from telling someone they are wrong when you really have no idea if they are or not!

Ok, enuff said . . . I've probably already earned a nasty gram from Websligner but this whole "burn slow for better results" myth really annoys me . . . the bottom line is that pixelization, stuttering, freezing, etc. is almost always a burn quality issue. Usually it's from poor quality media, so order some TY from rima.com or meritline.com and try again. If you have a 4x burner it's time to upgrade it! If you have an 8x or faster burner try 8x (yes, some burners like the BenQs will allow you to burn media faster than it's rated for - try to stay at it's rated speed at first) and see how it goes. Also make sure your burner firmware is up to date. If you are still having problems then if you have a burner that supports CDSpeed download it and do some burn quality testing with different burn speeds and different media. If you burner doesn't support burn quality testing I would again suggest a new burner, one that does! (come on, they are what - $30 these days?) I'll bet dimes to donuts that that will fix your problem. If it doesn't then maybe try the opposite disc format (i.e if using +Rs try -Rs, or if using -Rs try +Rs) as some players are just picky. Oh, one last thing that I think was mentioned in the golden rules . . . don't use adhesive labels on DVDs! They can cause the DVD to wobble as it's played and cause play back problems too.

Anyway, give those a shot and let us know how it went.

I assume you are addressing the bulk of your comments to the OP since I did not ask for help, comments, nor say I had any problems, etc. I gave my opinion and you gave yours. I wont change my mind and you will not change yours either....Enough said...:D

I assume you are addressing the bulk of your comments to the OP since I did not ask for help, comments, nor say I had any problems, etc. I gave my opinion and you gave yours. I wont change my mind and you will not change yours either....Enough said...:D

Mine are facts and they are easily duplicated if one wants to verify them for themselves. It's nothing personal, I'm just tired of the "burn slower for better quality" myth. It seems those who perpetuate it always speak with authority but yet can never back it up with facts, it's always anecdotal "well they play fine on my machine and my buddie's machine" comments . . . it gets very old and it tends to do a disservice to those having problems as burning at 4x and below will almost never fix their problem.

Yours are opinions and you know what they say about those . . . :D

I HAVE tried burning slower, so I have taken the time to see the other side of the discussion. You might want to open your mind up a bit by burning faster - I'm sure they'll still play just fine. Then once they do play for you you might want to give CDSpeed a shot and run some disc quality scans . . . I'll bet dimes to donuts you'll see the difference and soon have a Homer Simpson moment :doh: !

Try it, you might like it . . .

Ok, enuff said . . . I've probably already earned a nasty gram from Websligner

No, but I could do without the PMs--unless you believe something warrants my attention for moderation. I mean no offense, but I get a lot of PMs.

I also happen to strongly disagree with point #4 from http://forum.digital-digest.com/showpost.php?p=250649

Burning too slowly can be just as stupid as burning too fast. The best burn speed depends on your burner, your firmware, and the blank media you're using. And that's as much as I want to type on this matter, currently.

I would close this thread were it not for the possibility the OP may return and ask another question.

Last edited:
Back