• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Director Comments

nc state

I tried to back up ice age movie and got the director comments with the movie playing in the backround. I wanted these for a trip in the car. I used anydvd and clone dvd. Thanks.

nc state , when your backing up the movie UNCHECK the 2 channel audio. check the 5.1 or 6 channel audio instead. the 2 channel audio is where the directors comments are and sometimes the backups will default to that

what i posted will work perfectly

or you can use your dvd remote and select the audio you want also

@ Whisperer,
Very well done. :clap:
Your post above was thorough and very informative, and you obviously spent a generous amount of your time posting it. Anyone taking the time to read it will leave with a better understanding of the backups they are creating.
I agree that not everyone wants to eliminate the commentaries from their backups, but would rather have them function as they would with the original.

sockeye,
Thanks dude! 8) The whole track selection thing is pretty easy but not initially intuitive to newer CloneDVD users or members who are used to a different software. And it's not a problem for most originals that are backed up. The problem often just doesn't crop up because of the nice way the DVD was mastered.

Whisperer

Tell me you didn't hate starting out with a zero post count here!:(

Tell me you didn't hate starting out with a zero post count here!:(

Yes, but the way the questions are stacking up, the "Die Hard" status should come pretty quickly.:D
Hopefully after a month or so, there will be enough meaningfull posts logged, that the search function will be of help to the members looking for answers to the simpler problems.

Directors comments

When you suggest, UNCHECK the 2 channel audio. check the 5.1 or 6 channel audio instead. What if the only audio available is 2 channel, but listed twice. How do you determine which to de-select?

Additionally, when I queried Slysoft, I was advise, "Go to the Preferences menu on the CloneDVD start screen and deactivate
the checkbox next to "Enable auto-selection...".

Deselect the director's comment on both sides before you start the
reading process (configuration _and_ preferred settings). Preserve the
menu, too."

How does this fit with what you suggested? I tried their way, with no success. Ultimately used DVDFabDecrypter29 followed by DVD Shrink. Cppy worked, but took forever

Same problem

I hade the exact same problem and all i did was uncheck the 2 channel audio and check the 6 channel audio and then it burnt perfectly!

I'll also note that a few DVD "re-authoring" products (found in the third party forum) have a feature that allows you to keep more than one stream on the new DVD but "force" the one you select to play by default. This kind of replaces the menu function that does the same thing. To hear other streams you have to switch streams using your player software or the remote.

-W

I think (except in parts of the world were media prices are expensive due to distribution monopolies), that many people will be transending away from the need for compression solutions which began 5 years ago when media prices were outrageous.

For me the decision to shy away from DL media is based on 3 factors with price being a way distant 4th. The first factor is that I don't really want all the extra crap that comes on a DVD to begin with. I want the meat not the potatoes, ie I want the movie only. The second factor is that at least 50% of the "main movies only" *will* fit on a DVD5 with no compression and most of the rest of them will fit with less than 85% compression, which is negligable is you're using a good transcoder. The third factor is the fact that both the burning and playing of DL DVD's is more "error-critical" - in other words your burner and media needs to be operating closer to perfection to get a great DL copy - however most generic media and burners can at least pump out a decent 4X SL burn that'll play on just about anything.

So, even cost aside, I'm a die-hard SL type dood. Movie only.

-W

Last edited:
and most of the rest of them will fit with less than 85% compression, which is negligable is you're using a good transcoder.

I can see the difference on a large screen even when using a decent encoder at 15% compression (I do have to be looking harder, but I can see the difference); so a transcoder is even worse (even if it is Recode or Shrink).

And stating you want the main movie only has no bearing on this issue.

And stating you want the main movie only has no bearing on this issue.

I only meant the reference to the "main movie only" in terms of how much stuff to fit on a DVD - re using a DVD5 or a DVD9 - the point being that main movie only types (like me) are more lilely to be happy with a DVD5 than those trying to compress everything.

-W

Many people want the Director's Commentary on their backups but they just don't want that to be the default that the player chooses. I know that aabbccdd is offering sincere help but blanket advice to deselect 2 channel audio may not be right for all others.

Many DVD originals contain two choices that are both main movie soundtracks (depending on the sophistication of the owners home entertainment rig). A choice of both a 6 channel and a 2 channel main movie audio tracks. Or only a 2 channel main movie audio track along with other 2 channel tracks. So if one must choose, things can get a bit confusing when there are several 2 channel tracks.

One sure way to make the correct choice (or elimination) is to play the movie on your computer using "PowerDVD" player. When the Audio Track Selection menu is open, play and listen to the 2 channel tracks to see which is which. By this method, you can now determine what to select and what to deselect in CloneDVD because the order that the tracks appear in the PowerDVD audio selection menu will be the exact same order that the tracks appear on the CloneDVD track selection page.

If the main movie audio track was never selected in CloneDVD, then it is not on the backup and will not play in a player. If the main movie audio track is on the backup, but the player is not defaulting to it then simply cycle though the tracks by repeatedly pressing the audio button on your remote control till you get the track you want to listen to. Or go to the DVD's main menu and choose the track you want.

If all audio tracks are on the backup, then the main reason a player will default to the commentary track (or any unwanted language or unwanted subtitle track) is because the backup was not made with "Preserve Menus" enabled in CloneDVD. Many DVD originals are mastered using a Video Manager that matrixes the audio and subtitle tracks through the Menu Structure. If you eliminate the Menu, the player receives no "default" information and has to guess what track to play. And, likewise your Audio Button on your Remote may not allow you to switch playback to tracks that actually are on your backup because it needs to interface with the Menu Structure that has not been included on your backup (only with certain originals; others may work fine).

Lastly, some people copy the main movie only without a menu in order to save data space for compression. The menu doesn't take up much data space and is needed in some cases.

Please allow me to wax philosophically and a little off topic. My personal choice is to never compress and to backup everything on the original. With quality (Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden) single layer media prices (.60 cents US) being so cheap (in the US anyway) I would rather split a DL original over two SL media and not suffer quality loss or silly problems like selecting audio tracks. Even DL Verbatims are priced at $1.85 US now. And with prices now low on good displays that take advantage of progressive scan player output, why throw away quality to save a few bloody cents on media? And have a backup collection that looks like crap when you upgrade to a good home entertainment rig?

I think (except in parts of the world were media prices are expensive due to distribution monopolies), that many people will be transending away from the need for compression solutions which began 5 years ago when media prices were outrageous. Of course CloneDVD will keep it's ability to select which elements to include on a backup and then compress. But I also envision it as having the capability of evolving into a pretty sophisticated splitting tool that keeps the ability to select elements but replaces the present, somewhat clumsy splitting interface (sorry SS) and offers more sophisticated automatic and manual splitting features. Hand-in-hand, of course, with the alternate choice of using Slysoft CloneCD's ability to burn perfect 1:1 DL backups. Funny, the transcoder program is called "Clone" and the 1:1 DVD duplicator program is called "CD"... (go figure?!) But I think the CloneCD "simple" interface needs to be overhauled so that it is more obvious that is also intended for DL DVD burning and not just CD's and games.

Best regards,
Whisperer

Cross referrence posting:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=3066&postcount=14
Whisper,

So your saying I can backup a DL Movie onto two SL disks using CloneCD?

FG

Hi,
I've been burning movies for a few years now and just bought CloneDvd2. I have AnyDvd also. I really like CloneDvd but it is different and I have a couple questions.
I mostly burn movie only or movie and preserve menus. I burned some movies with clone and they played flawlessly, but I don't know what directors comments are. Is it all the credits at the end of the movie? When the audio shows a few selections, can I deselect those director's comments audios if I don't care about all that stuff at the end of a movie? Thanks. ~Rose

but I don't know what directors comments are.

Director comments are a separate audio track with the director commenting on the main movie--while the main movie is playing.

Is it all the credits at the end of the movie?

no

When the audio shows a few selections, can I deselect those director's comments audios if I don't care about all that stuff at the end of a movie?

You can choose to remove director commentary. However, director commentary has nothing to do with credits.

Thank you very much for answering. I will just uncheck that then, thanks again. ~Rose

Back