• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PowerDVD vs Corel WinDVD 9

RichardJay

I am thinking of buying a legit application to watch Blu Ray and HD-DVD Discs and Rips.

I have been 'evaluating' PowerDVD for a short while now and want to buy!

I have an LG Drive that plays HD-DVD and BluRay discs and I noticed PowerDVD no longers plays HD-DVD, is Corel WinDVD 9 any good???

Is PowerDVD the better option and should I just buy the latest copy to get a license then run the copy I have??

Anybody run these side by side, know of any major (or minor) problems with WinDVD???

Thanks
Richard

winDVD9 +Bluray

Yes,
winDVD 9+ is for better than the rest that I have use.Better feture than other's, Go for it! you will need a better or higher process above,that you have. make old dvd look like 1080P.:rock:

Yes,
winDVD 9+ is for better than the rest that I have use.Better feture than other's, Go for it! you will need a better or higher process above,that you have. make old dvd look like 1080P.:rock:

i gotta disagree myself i personally prefer powerdvd yeah its had issues but alot have been fixed and from my experience with windvd i just dont recommend it. also you cant go wrong with powerdvd 8 and the HDDVD hack so you can still play all your HDDVDs while enjoying a newer version

i gotta disagree myself i personally prefer powerdvd yeah its had issues but alot have been fixed and from my experience with windvd i just dont recommend it. also you cant go wrong with powerdvd 8 and the HDDVD hack so you can still play all your HDDVDs while enjoying a newer version

I have all three, and while I do like windvd 9's sharpness of picture. It does not play blu-ray iso's. I have not checked much else yet, but that was a deal breaker. At least powerdvd you can hack version 8 to keep your hd-dvd movies playing. As for nero, I like it also but it has more draw backs. Every once and a while you get a black screen and you need to reload nero. I have no idea what causes it. Now the last update caused my software to think it was the trial version. I tried reinstalling, and it still does it to me.

So the best of the worst right now is, PowerDVD.

WinDVD has few advantages:
- able to nicely eliminate video noise (example: Sarah Brightman in Las Vegas DVD) - but strangely cannot do the same for blu-ray (and there are noisy blu-ray titles, like David Gilmour's concert)
- able to somewhat sharpen, or "increase resolution" - but while the effect is reasonably good, it is still nowhere near real 1080p

Other than that... sometimes it forgets some settings, and is generally somewhat awkward to use, compared to both PDVD and previous versions of WDVD.
I would recommend: WDVD if you have problematic DVDs like described above, otherwise PDVD.

I've not heard of this PowerDVD hack - where do I get that from to play HD-DVD's on it???

I love this forum!

I have all three, and while I do like windvd 9's sharpness of picture. It does not play blu-ray iso's.

Perhaps you should try some different ISO's or maybe a different version of WinDVD9. It works for me. (3:10 to Yuma, Live Free or Die Hard, Spiderman 3, etc.)

The program version in the "Information" pane of settings (beneath the OS, XP in my case) is 9.0 DXVA B14.084, which is similar to what is in the exe file properties.

The ISO's were played from Daemon Tools Lite 4.12.3. They were remuxed from the original discs and the image generated by Image Burn 2.4+. The exact remux tool used escapes me, as it was some time ago. They were decrypted prior to imaging.

All runing on an AMD 6000+, nv8600GTS, where CPU usage runs about 25%.

As I said in an earlier post, it works better than I would have expected, given the generally negative tone around the Japanese version. The other three players have been much more troublesome in their early versions.

personally, my experience with WinDVD 9 has been terrible. It asked me to lower the resolution TO 1680x1050, while my resolution IS 1680x1050. It won't play BD until I lower it further down to 1440x900.

While PowerDVD is more stable, the most stable version is 7.3 (and they removed HD DVD support now - I am looking for ways to downgrade).
PowerDVD 8 is a bit strange. I have to use my original install file, and never update. If I update it, then BD will refuse to play, and I got to uninstall it and reinstall it using the original file. Weird

I bought Totalmedia Theatre when it was cheap. It is a trouble free BD/HD player for me with the latest update. It can playback directly from folder too. Only let down is its DVD performance.

I bought Totalmedia Theatre when it was cheap. It is a trouble free BD/HD player for me with the latest update. It can playback directly from folder too. Only let down is its DVD performance.

i love the upscale options in Windvd, with a good dvd, the image is great : it's not a blu ray but it's not so far in certain plans.
i don't understand why Powerdvd don't use this... I have some problem with windvd, it don't work very well with my spdif (x-fi)...
TMT seems to be a great choice for user friendly options (hd dvd, read directly from folder, etc) but it don't use upscale too
finaly the perfect player don't exist :(
edit : 70$ TMT is the best choice...

Last edited:
i love the upscale options in Windvd, with a good dvd, the image is great : it's not a blu ray but it's not so far in certain plans.
i don't understand why Powerdvd don't use this... I have some problem with windvd, it don't work very well with my spdif (x-fi)...
TMT seems to be a great choice for user friendly options (hd dvd, read directly from folder, etc) but it don't use upscale too
finaly the perfect player don't exist :(
edit : 70$ TMT is the best choice...

When it works, yes, TMT is a nice choice and many of us got it on sale. I paid $41.99 because I refused to pay full price so I got it when it was on sale. When I purchased WinDVD I also got it at a discount so I paid far less than normal. I paid the most for PowerDVD because they don't seem to have discounts like other companies and they offer an insultingly small discount to pre-existing customers who upgrade.

Personally, I'd love a player that took bits from all 3 players and combined them into one player with TMT's UI.

Originally Posted by scmeis1
I have all three, and while I do like windvd 9's sharpness of picture. It does not play blu-ray iso's.

Perhaps you should try some different ISO's or maybe a different version of WinDVD9. It works for me. (3:10 to Yuma, Live Free or Die Hard, Spiderman 3, etc.)

Folks... Please be careful when you make blanket statements. If YOU can't get a feature to work... just say that. Don't make a remark that it DOESNT DO SOMETHING making it sound like a missing feature when it turns out you just haven't been able to make it work.

Statements like that are very misleading. Had no one else posted their success I would have walked away thinking the Program just isn't designed to do Bluray ISOs.

Last edited:
When it works, yes, TMT is a nice choice and many of us got it on sale. I paid $41.99 because I refused to pay full price so I got it when it was on sale. When I purchased WinDVD I also got it at a discount so I paid far less than normal. I paid the most for PowerDVD because they don't seem to have discounts like other companies and they offer an insultingly small discount to pre-existing customers who upgrade.

Personally, I'd love a player that took bits from all 3 players and combined them into one player with TMT's UI.
yes when it works !
42$ ?? how do you do ? With this price, i buy it immediately...
i have a version of Powerdvd with my LG BR/HD-DVD reader/burner but it's a limited version (2 channels with HD contents), as you say, Cyberlink has a ridiculous prices for upgrade :( so i don't want to buy their player. With competition, maybe Cyberlink will make an effort with their prices and player's features.

yes when it works !
i have a version of Powerdvd with my LG BR/HD-DVD reader/burner but it's a limited version (2 channels with HD contents), as you say, Cyberlink has a ridiculous prices for upgrade :( so i don't want to buy their player. With competition, maybe Cyberlink will make an effort with their prices and player's features.

If you update your OEM version to 4407(free) from the Cyberlink site it gives you 6 channel audio

yes when it works !

Arcsoft ran a 40% discount a few weeks back. I immediately purchased the software when they did this.

Being an OEM user people should update to the latest relevant OEM release of CyberLink. They finally released an update for OEM users that does give them 6 channel audio. The more recent updates do seem to have issues here and there, however.

No player is currently "the best" IMHO. They all have some issues.

Arcsoft ran a 40% discount a few weeks back. I immediately purchased the software when they did this.

Being an OEM user people should update to the latest relevant OEM release of CyberLink. They finally released an update for OEM users that does give them 6 channel audio. The more recent updates do seem to have issues here and there, however.

No player is currently "the best" IMHO. They all have some issues.
damn i regret the 40% discount :bang: i hope another great offer in future...
thanks for you advises Adbear and DrinkLyeAndDie, i go to cyberlink website

Back