• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Prince of Persia to ship with no DRM

DrinkLyeAndDie

Retired Moderator
Refer to the Fudzilla article here: http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10951&Itemid=1.

Prince of Persia has no DRM
Written by Nick Farrell
Tuesday, 16 December 2008 07:55

Well nothing you can see

Ubisoft's Prince of Persia is shipping without any of the DRM which sunk EA's spore release.

Community Manager UbiRazz wrote on the official forum only retail copies are DRM-less, since the Steam-bought version will, of course, to be tied to Steam's authentication system.

Ubisoft had a few problems with both DRM and piracy. Its Assassins Creed shipped with a problem that it always tried to phone home to authenticate itself. A DRM patch for Rainbow Six Vegas 2 broke the game for some people ask it asked for the CD to be placed in the drive. That would be ok but some people had bought the game online so they didn’t have a CD.

Ubisoft recommended using a CD crack from a warez group to fix the problem. The question is that if the Prince of Persia is released with no DRM what will Ubisoft do when it is pirated? It is as if the company is putting the game out there to say that it expects to be ripped off.

Maybe it is hoping that users will be good.

At first blush I am thinking, "Awesome, they've learned a lesson." Thinking more I wonder if they will somehow add in some form of DRM at a later time in a game patch once they've ironed out some real game bugs instead of focusing on the DRM issues that make the game unplayable. I wonder how complex a DRM could be added after the fact in an update patch.

Bugs in the DRM of a game have begun to cause some users to be unable to even play a game when they purchase it. When you are having issues with the game protection that make this happen then that says a lot. We're not talking a simple bug in the game itself. The people aren't even getting into the game to play. Nope, they just sit there stunned at what the DRM is causing and they just spent money on the game and have opened it which makes returning the game an absolute nightmare since every single store I am aware of simply refuses to take returns on opened CDs, DVDs, or games unless they are being exchanged for the same item. Well, if the protection makes the game unplayable then what will getting an exchange do to make the problem any better? Nothing. :rolleyes:

So, what does this all mean? I guess we shall see, won't we?

Last edited:
I wonder how complex a DRM could be added after the fact in an update patch.

depends if the disk has a protection signature on it, but its not used (yet), if the disk doesn't have a signature then the only other method would be a patch using product activation or something similar...

depends if the disk has a protection signature on it, but its not used (yet), if the disk doesn't have a signature then the only other method would be a patch using product activation or something similar...

Valid point.

I just can't believe they'll leave it unprotected. I think they want it to ship and be a success and remove the real game bugs when it first gets really played by a lot of people. Once the first round of public beta testing is completed then they'll add in the protection. Official game launches are nothing but a huge beta test these days.

Back