• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Feature request - command line or similar.

this is really awesome to see progress on this. man, convergence is cool!

As long as we are running the latest version of anydvd, we should be ok with th enable-disable function, right?

1.) You should use ShellExecute or ShellExecuteEx to start AnyDVD to pass the command line options. This will make sure, that you can start AnyDVD.exe regardless where the user has installed it.
2.) Even if you use ShellExecuteEx and wait for the started process to finish, there is no 100% guarantee that the command has been executed successfully (people might have an old AnyDVD version not supporting the command line option).
3.) You should make sure (well, at least try), that there are no open file handles on any optical drives. The reason is, that when AnyDVD is enabled/disabled it changes the sectors on the disc (at least from the system's point of view), so it must inform the filesystem. It does this by doing an unmount/mount operation, but this can only succeed, if no files are open.

I don't see a problem in any of these - this would be awesome additions!

I look forward to this, and to dusting off a 200 disc bulk loader...

AnyTool beta available

AnyTool (what a stupid name) can be downloaded here:

http://sandbox.slysoft.com/AnyTool.zip

It is a very small command line tool, which basically does what you wanted.

Usage:

AnyTool -d
Disables AnyDVD for all drives
Will wait for the command to execute
EDIT: Will timeout after 10 seconds, if it somehow didn't work.

AnyTool -e
Enables AnyDVD for all drives
Warning, will return immediately

Should work with all recent AnyDVD & AnyDVD HD versions 6.x
EDIT: Which is very nice, as you can expect all customers to have a version supported by AnyTool. It might even work with older versions, but I haven't tried or checked or cared or whatever...

Last edited:

Usage:

AnyTool -d

AnyTool -e

EDIT: Which is very nice, as you can expect all customers to have a version supported by AnyTool. It might even work with older versions, but I haven't tried or checked or cared or whatever...
Some advice:
As AnyTool is not distributed with AnyDVD, you can copy it to your program's directory. So you don't need to use ShellExecuteEx, you can use CreateProcess instead, which might be a little more straightforward.
It is recommended to wait for AnyTool to complete.
Do this by calling a WaitFor...() function on the AnyTool process handle.
Again, opening the optical drives (regardless how, SPTI, FileSystem, ...) before using AnyTool is a stupid idea. :p
Of course you don't know if a user has files open on the disc, but at least your application shouldn't. :D

Usage:

AnyTool -d

AnyTool -e

AnyTool??? Seriously, James, AnyTool?!?!?!?! ROFLMAO! :D

so any tool can use it? :D

Maybe I should add a disclaimer...

DISCLAIMER:
AnyTool is a quick hack. It is a kludge. It is a beta. It solves the problem, but it does it with a "hacky" approach, so it works with all recent versions of AnyDVD and the current AnyDVD HD beta.
Although unlikely, it is possible that it might no longer work with future versions of AnyDVD (HD).
I intend to update both AnyTool and AnyDVD (HD) so they can communicate better.
At the moment AnyTool patches AnyDVD's registry settings, so you should not use AnyTool to disable AnyDVD without re-enabling it again, as this might p*ss off the user (AnyDVD would stay disabled even after a reboot).
In general, I would not recommend to ship the current version of AnyTool with commercial products to users. The current version is for developers to take a look and provide feedback. I would wait for a final mature release before using it with commercial products.

bump...
Feedback to the AnyTool beta would be appreciated. Thank you.

bump...Feedback to the AnyTool beta would be appreciated. Thank you.

James -

I am planning to use AnyDVD in a similar application to Brian's, using a robotic duplicator instead of a changer. This particular robotic duplicator both has the keypad interface and also runs XP Pro with a copy of the keypad interface on screen. You can use it as a standalone device or as a workstation by adding keyboard/mouse/monitor.

However, I ran into some problems with the current AnyDVD trial: when AnyDVD was active, the bundled embedded software could no longer open or close the drive. Even in AnyDVD's "Safe Mode".

For a moment, I thought AnyTool might help, but it seems unlikely that I could somehow manage to time activation/deactivation as exactly as necessary via some scripting, and even if I were able to, who knows what other incompatibility might be discovered.

I figured if there were a compatibility problem, I'd see read/access errors. The actual symptom of lack of tray open/close just seems odd. :)

If the above pique's your interest, what's your gut reaction here? Duplication software that's tied too strongly with the drive firmware or performing unusual low-level commands/response interactions? Conflicting filter-driver installed by the duplicator manufacturer?

-brendan

PS - not sure if this belongs on a separate thread...

AnyTool -d

AnyTool -e

It would be lovely if we could specify the drive to enable/disable, e.g.
AnyTool -d E:

Is that possible?

James -

I am planning to use AnyDVD in a similar application to Brian's, using a robotic duplicator instead of a changer. This particular robotic duplicator both has the keypad interface and also runs XP Pro with a copy of the keypad interface on screen. You can use it as a standalone device or as a workstation by adding keyboard/mouse/monitor.

However, I ran into some problems with the current AnyDVD trial: when AnyDVD was active, the bundled embedded software could no longer open or close the drive. Even in AnyDVD's "Safe Mode".

For a moment, I thought AnyTool might help, but it seems unlikely that I could somehow manage to time activation/deactivation as exactly as necessary via some scripting, and even if I were able to, who knows what other incompatibility might be discovered.

I figured if there were a compatibility problem, I'd see read/access errors. The actual symptom of lack of tray open/close just seems odd. :)

If the above pique's your interest, what's your gut reaction here? Duplication software that's tied too strongly with the drive firmware or performing unusual low-level commands/response interactions? Conflicting filter-driver installed by the duplicator manufacturer?

-brendan

PS - not sure if this belongs on a separate thread...
Do you know what command packets are sent to control the duplicator? They may need to be added to AnyDVD's "pass through" table.

It would be lovely if we could specify the drive to enable/disable, e.g.
AnyTool -d E:

Is that possible?
Yes, but not with currently released AnyDVD versions.

discid api?

A great alternative or augmentation would be a API that could be called to get the unmodified discid without disabling anydvd

A great alternative or augmentation would be a API that could be called to get the unmodified discid without disabling anydvd
Where is the "Discid" recorded on the disc?

Back