• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Cyberlink Software

RedFox 1

Forum Admin
I have found out something very interesting, maybe everyone knows this but me but I will tell you anyway. Cyberlinks PowerDVD has two versions of their Ultra Software. Version 7.1 is the HD Edition and Version 7.2 is the Blu-Ray Edition. I am wondering if anyone has a version of 7.2 that enables the HD version?
http://forum.slysoft.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=95&stc=1&d=1172767308

Attachments

• Version 7.1 vs 7.2.jpg
    Version 7.1 vs 7.2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 80
I have found out something very interesting, maybe everyone knows this but me but I will tell you anyway. Cyberlinks PowerDVD has two versions of their Ultra Software. Version 7.1 is the HD Edition and Version 7.2 is the Blu-Ray Edition. I am wondering if anyone has a version of 7.2 that enables the HD version?

It's all in how you install it. It's the SAME program, just installed two different ways. I.E. if it detects a BluRay drive it'll install as 7.2 and if it detects an HD DVD drive it'll install as 7.1. They're promising a patch soon that'll allow the use of "both" versions but so far, said patch has been...."delayed".

It's all in how you install it. It's the SAME program, just installed two different ways. I.E. if it detects a BluRay drive it'll install as 7.2 and if it detects an HD DVD drive it'll install as 7.1. They're promising a patch soon that'll allow the use of "both" versions but so far, said patch has been...."delayed".
Thanks SamuriHL, I am just getting used to this software package.:clap:

Thanks SamuriHL, I am just getting used to this software package.:clap:

And I'm getting more and more disappointed by it, tbh. It's the buggiest version of PowerDVD I've ever seen. And so far the support has been completely abyssmal. I'm hoping they get it fixed up soon but so far it's not looking so good. Many of the members on their forum have already started talking about lawsuits against them over this version. IOW, it's rather ugly. I'm not ready to go that far, but, calling this software "good" would be an insult.

Glad I havn't bought version 7 yet. I just thought it did both already.

Glad I havn't bought version 7 yet. I just thought it did both already.

Eventually....Unless you NEED it right away, I'd hold off until the update is released to see how they do.

And I'm getting more and more disappointed by it, tbh. It's the buggiest version of PowerDVD I've ever seen. And so far the support has been completely abyssmal. I'm hoping they get it fixed up soon but so far it's not looking so good. Many of the members on their forum have already started talking about lawsuits against them over this version. IOW, it's rather ugly. I'm not ready to go that far, but, calling this software "good" would be an insult.
I have not had any problems with it, V7.1 HD Edition. Maybe its a conflict with other apps. I am just guessing.:confused:

I have not had any problems with it, V7.1 HD Edition. Maybe its a conflict with other apps. I am just guessing.:confused:

No, it's just badly written. Even on normal DVDs I've had issues with it. They say it's Vista compatible yet it switches off Aero glass mode into basic color mode, etc. Plus I don't think it works very well with Vista and DVI (non-HDCP compliant) monitors for HD content...at least in my experience. It's just full of issues.

No, it's just badly written. Even on normal DVDs I've had issues with it. They say it's Vista compatible yet it switches off Aero glass mode into basic color mode, etc. Plus I don't think it works very well with Vista and DVI (non-HDCP compliant) monitors for HD content...at least in my experience. It's just full of issues.
I will test these issues to see if I can reproduce them. I always used WMP 11 until I obtained this software, sometimes even Nero Showtime, but as of yet I have no issues, but I will do more testing. Thanks SamuriHL.;)

I will test these issues to see if I can reproduce them. I always used WMP 11 until I obtained this software, sometimes even Nero Showtime, but as of yet I have no issues, but I will do more testing. Thanks SamuriHL.;)

Good luck. :) I'm gonna have to build a new HTPC at some point this year...my HTPC machines aren't up to speed for HD content unfortunately. What a pain.

This is annoying as I am just building a HTPC with a LG Blu-ray drive plus I have the Xbox drive.

So possible workarounds until Cyberlink release the patch.

1. I use the Cyberlink BD Solution that was bundled with the drive for BD playback which I think is PowerDVD 6.5 and then install 7.1 for HDDVD ? Disabling the other appropriate drive during installation.

2. Install Virtual PC which M$ are giving away at the moment and install a second basic OS so that PowerDVD 7.xx can be installed twice ?

3. Please offer me a better solution :)

Search the forum...there should be a post about getting them both installed at the same time...it involves renaming the directory and doing a second install and then registering some files. Kind of a pain if you ask me, but, at least possible to run both. I've not had any reason to try it myself.

Had a hard time with the registration key gotta hold of cyberlink and they sent me one that supports both blu ray and Hd in the same program

The way I understand it, PowerDVD Ultra will auto install PowerDVD 7.2 (BD Edition) if there is no BD or HD DVD drive detected or installed. So in other words it simply defaults to 7.2. If an HD DVD drive is installed and detected PowerDVD Ultra will install PowerDVD 7.1 (HD DVD Edition). If both BD and HD DVD drives are installed it simply defaults to PowerDVD 7.2 (BD Edition) resulting in no HD DVD support.

This intended install method is obviously problematic for users that have both BD and HD DVD because it totally disregards their needs but Cyberlink has promised a patch to fix this and allow switching between the two formats.

Oddly enough Cyberlink patches often tend not to be patches at all but rather full replacement programs with a modified install program that detects the presence of a qualifying program to upgrade from. This is indicated by the fact that many of Cyberlink’s so called “patches” are equal in file size or even larger then the program that they are intended to patch and the fact that a complete uninstall of the original program is performed before the install of the so called “patch”.

One other small thing, the nomenclature that Cyberlink uses is a bit odd IMO:

PowerDVD 6.5 HD DVD Edition

PowerDVD 6.6 BD Edition

PowerDVD Ultra 7.1 HD DVD Edition

PowerDVD Ultra 7.2 BD Edition

The pattern seems to be that any HD DVD version always receives a lower version number then its otherwise equivalent BD version. It’s a very small thing to be sure but on some psychologically level its not so different then having a big BD display in the front of the store and a small HD DVD display in the back of the store.

PowerDVD Ultra 7.1 HD DVD Edition

PowerDVD Ultra 7.2 BD Edition

The pattern seems to be that any HD DVD version always receives a lower version number then its otherwise equivalent BD version. It’s a very small thing to be sure but on some psychologically level its not so different then having a big BD display in the front of the store and a small HD DVD display in the back of the store.

No, they do it just like we do: first support HD-DVD, then the crappy Bluray is done in the following version, just for completeness 8)

I have PowerDVD Ultra HD DVD edition and AnyDVD HD. Vista recognizes my Xbox 360 HD DVD player, but PowerDVD Ultra won't recognize it. I only get the sound.
I'll check other thread about this issue.

Thanks guys for responses.

I asked this question to Cyberlink:-

"Hi, I will have both Blu-ray and HD DVD
drives in my newly built HTPC, before I
buy it can you confirm PowerDVD Ultra
will work with both drives in the same
machine?"

This was the reply:-

"Yes, PowerDVD Ultra can run or detect both of your drives at same time."

Cool :)

Back