• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

HD DVD Playback Only With Sound

JL32BiT

Hi,
I have an XBox 360 HD DVD drive hooked up to my PC with Vista Ultimate x86 on it. I recently purchased AnyDVD HD so I could bypass the fact that my Radeon x850 wasn't HDCP compliant. I've tried to play a few different movies with the new PowerDVD Ultra 7.1 and all I'm getting is sound with no video. Does anyone know what's up?

This is the status page information when I try to play Clerks II.

Summary for drive G: (AnyDVD 6.1.2.5)
TOSHIBA DVD/HDX807616 MC08 10/03/06
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: hd-dvd (version 3), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 7267968 sectors (14195 MBytes)
Total size: 14535936 sectors (28390 MBytes)
Video HD DVD label: CLERKS_2
Media is AACS protected!

My guess, based on reading from this forum and others that your CPU may not be powerful enough-I have heard that it basically takes a dual-core CPU, or at least an AMD FX-60 single core to play back content. You can however rip these files to your hard drive, but then playing them is the issue. I am hoping that some media streamers become available shortly that will play these files on my HDTV.

Hi,
I have an XBox 360 HD DVD drive hooked up to my PC with Vista Ultimate x86 on it. I recently purchased AnyDVD HD so I could bypass the fact that my Radeon x850 wasn't HDCP compliant. I've tried to play a few different movies with the new PowerDVD Ultra 7.1 and all I'm getting is sound with no video. Does anyone know what's up?

This is the status page information when I try to play Clerks II.

Summary for drive G: (AnyDVD 6.1.2.5)
TOSHIBA DVD/HDX807616 MC08 10/03/06
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: hd-dvd (version 3), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 7267968 sectors (14195 MBytes)
Total size: 14535936 sectors (28390 MBytes)
Video HD DVD label: CLERKS_2
Media is AACS protected!
Did you use the Cyberlink " Advisor" to see if your computer is compatible? I just made it with an AMD 64X2 3800, that was the minimum for a CPU. You probably also have to update your driver on your video card. The Cyberlink " Advisor" will tell you all you need to know.

The only thing on the list for the Cyberlink Advisor that is in the red is the graphics card, the driver for the graphics card, and the HDCP Compliant Display. I have a Core 2 Duo 6400 so I don't think the CPU is the problem. As far as GPU drivers go, there's only one ATI Vista driver at the moment, and I'm using that one.

Edit: I just installed Vista x64 on another partition to see if that'd make a diffrence, but it doesn't. I remember hearing someone mention that Vista x64 supported HD DVD natively. Does anyone know what's wrong? I'm getting anxious for some HD Goodness. :)

Last edited:
I have the same problem. I ran the Cyberlink Advisor. The red one is HD DVD drive even though Vista Premium recognizes my Xbox 360 HD DVD player.

The Cyberlink BD HD DVD advisor is a useful too but it is still in beta and it can only basically verify the presence of the necessary components not that they are functional and working correctly.

Also note that it is divided into a BD compliant test and an HD DVD compliancy test whereby BD is offered first (top) and HD DVD testing is offered last (bottom).

If like “hiro1030” you ran the test, have an HD DVD drive installed and still get a “red” response for the HD DVD drive,….I would first check the obvious such as; drive is not installed properly, not turned on, not plugged in, the BD test was performed rather then the HD DVD drive and so on,….

In the case of JL32BiT, I would just try anything to make PowerDVD Ultra 7.1 happy. Try using an analog VGA connection to an analog VGA connection (if you haven’t already) and see if that helps, Update drivers, turn off dual monitor support,….anything,… also ripping to the HDD and playing from there might have some effect (unlikely I think).

As for the CPU, even some of the fastest CPUs, yes Core 2 Duo included, can be taxed to and beyond their limits without GPU hardware assistance in HD DVD playback (depending on encoding). For those users that have qualifying video cards (and underling support) open PowerDVD and right click the play surface and click “configuration” from the menu. Click the “Video tab” then click the “Enable Hardware Acceleration” check box. For ATI cards it should say “Enable Hardware Acceleration (AVIVO)” but all ATI cards are not AVIVO compliant. This is probably why in part Cyberlink recommends a X1600 series video card and above for ATI (7600 and above for nVidia).

I’m no expert but I’m guessing that ATI cards below the X1600 series such as the X800 series will not provide any GPU hardware assistance. Perhaps the X1300, X1550 and maybe even some motherboards with integrated ATI video can lend hardware assistance but perhaps not enough.

I don’t think this is JL32BiT problem though because even if the CPU is taking all of the load it should still be able to play,….jerky maybe,…

It should be noted however that Cyberlinks software has a number of bugs and you don’t have to look too far to find them.

There is an updated Cyberlink BD / HD advisor for download here:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/928.page

This was an update for those PowerDVD Ultra users that where hit hard with the 0103 Error so it may be more thorough during its checks

***edit***

BTW, there is supposedly going to be a ~$30 WinDVD 8 HD update pack to add BD / HD DVD support to existing WinDVD 8 installs this quarter,…so some time this month. If it works on WinDVD Gold it should cost about ~$65 in total which is reasonably cheaper then PowerDVD Ultra‘s ~$100,…so a price brake on PowerDVD Ultra may be in order soon:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2074264,00.asp

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/12/21/windvd-hd-upgrade-pack-priced-tested/

Last edited:
I'll give those tips a try when I get home tonight. I didn't even think that dual monitor mode might be messing it up. (I have a normal VGA monitor and a DVI HDTV running in clone mode) Hopefully that's the answer to the problem.

Taking off dual monitor mode didn't do anything... I also tried updating the x850's driver with no luck. I'm running out of ideas to make this work :(

The only thing on the list for the Cyberlink Advisor that is in the red is the graphics card, the driver for the graphics card, and the HDCP Compliant Display.
What video card are you using? Does it meet the specs?

Like oldjoe mentioned above, I think my Radeon X800GTO is the problem. I can see files on it through Windows Explore. Device Manager recognized it as Toshiba HD DVD player and it plays regular DVD.
AnyDVD HD was also able to rip it to HDD.
I think I'm ordering the X1900 card and see what happens.

BTW, my PC plays WMV HD (1080i) perfectly, but that's another story.

UPDATE:

I just temporary borrowed my neighbor's high school son's X1950 Pro graphics card and tested it. It worked!:)
I'll be definitely ordering one of those cards.

Back