• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

stranger than fiction

The Grape Ape

anydvd says it decodes but when my dvd xcopy fires up it encounters a problem with xpress and kicks out.

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.1.2.5)
HP DVD WRITER 640C JS04 CNL930121C
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2084960 sectors (4072 MBytes)
Total size: 4169920 sectors (8144 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: Stranger Than Fiction
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Found & removed structural copy protection (Arccos, Puppetlock)!
Found & removed bogus title set!
Found & removed Autorun from Video DVD!
Found & removed 83 bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

anydvd says it decodes but when my dvd xcopy fires up it encounters a problem with xpress and kicks out.

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.1.2.5)
HP DVD WRITER 640C JS04 CNL930121C
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2084960 sectors (4072 MBytes)
Total size: 4169920 sectors (8144 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: Stranger Than Fiction
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Found & removed structural copy protection (Arccos, Puppetlock)!
Found & removed bogus title set!
Found & removed Autorun from Video DVD!
Found & removed 83 bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Works fine with Clonedvd

Works fine with Clonedvd

Maybe the product advertising should change.

"Works with all DVD copying, such as CloneDVD, and all DVD player software".

The recent "disclaimers" that indicate that it works fine with Clonedvd is fine; but, that's not why many purchased the product. Clonedvd does work; however, the "Shrink" quiality, when compared to DVD Shrink leaves some, like me, wanting for a "cleaner"copy. Also the Copy created by Clonedvd can not be processed by "other" DVD copying software.

Works fine with Clonedvd

Comon dood.... :D

That answer is wearing real thin.

If it don't work with anything but Clone now, then Clone outta be bundled with it as a "patch".

-W

Well guys I also don't think it is Slysoft's job to fix any problem that might be happening between AnyDVD and other software. They offer the complete package, if you choose not to use it, then don't come crying here.

It would of course be different if they only made the AnyDVD product, then being compatible with everything else and quickly responding to any problem with a foreign product would be important.

That being said they seem to go out of their way to try and deal with all these issues and be the "competitor" friendly product.

I understand the quick answer given by Webslinger can get redundant, but if it is true...the problem might lie elsewhere.

I'll assume that was at me. :D

Up until Saw 3, AnyDVD in fact *did* work with all the ripping/burning software out there. So yes... it's overall utility (read net value) has taken a step backwards in the last month.

And to keep the facts straight, Slysoft *only* makes AnyDVD, CloneDVD etc are made by Elaborate Bytes (Elby) in a whole different place. The fact that Slysoft has a marketing agreement with Elby is of no personal interest to the sole consumer of AnyDVD. I didn't buy it to work with Elby's CloneDVD. I don't LIKE Elby's CloneDVD. I DO like AnyDVD, even though I like it a little less in the past month. Get it?

-W

You're right, maybe they should change the marketing program. All I can go by is the logo's at the top of the forums....I don't see any of those "other" programs up there.

And the fact that all these threads are being collected under "third party" they seem to be offering assistance but they are definately being separated

Last edited:
And the fact that all these threads are being collected under "third party" they seem to be offering assistance but they are definately being separated

I moved the thread here, because I figured someone with dvd xcopy might be familiar with what's going on or can provide further assistance. Given that Anydvd ripper + Shrink can provide a main movie backup of this title, it seems to me the same could be done for other products as well that can't handle the crazy Sony structures.

OK, to say "I don't like it" is prolly a little too strong. But for ME it doesn't stand up to DVDShrink or Nero Recode both for sheer user utility (control over the processes) or for the quality of the transcoder.

The upside of CloneDVD2 is that you don't need separate burning software to burn your DVD once it's done with it. But since a whole lot of people alredy have Nero, that upside is moot to many. I also think CloneDVD2 is a lot easier for Noobs to use. But I'm no Noob. So that's moot here.

Nero is the #1 burning software on the planet, DVDShrink is the #1 DVD tool on the planet. (both in terms of total market penetration) So *a* legitimate point of view is: "If your product doesn't work with them... it just doesn't work."

-W

Last edited:
You're right, maybe they should change the marketing program. All I can go by is the logo's at the top of the forums....I don't see any of those "other" programs up there.

You won't see "other" programs at the top of the pages because this is a Slysoft forum.
I have the about same issues with AnyDVD as Clams Canino.
I really don't care for CloneDVD so I don't use it. I was much happier with AnyDVD when it worked with my softwares of preference.....that's why I purchased it. If I didn't own it now I most likely would not purchase it because I'm using it less frequently each week.
I also understand why people like the simplicity and ease of use of CloneDVD and I understand Slysoft's reasoning, as a business, to continue to develop support for their products and not competing products. They are a business and want, like all business', to make all the money.

Just so we're clear... Slysoft didn't engineeer this fiasco on purpose.

Elby's CloneDVD2 hasn't been updated since 12/13/06, long before this SAW3 crap started. In other words CloneDVD just plain got lucky while at the same time those of us that used other rippers and burners got "unlucky".

That said... I'm sure if CloneDVD2 was one of the programs that horked a lung with the new Sony protections, AnyDVD would be taking care of those protections by now. Our bad luck was Elby's good luck. Cod knows how many extra copies of CloneDVD2 have sold thanks to this mess.

-W

Then just use cloneDVD2 and anyDVD to the hard drive and then run shrink if that is what you like.

Try DVDFab decrypter

Worked for me with DVDFab.
Seems AnyDVD is much slower on getting the updates out for many of these films.
Hate to say it since I spent the bucks on AnyDVD first, but after downloading the trial for DVDFab and getting better results I'm thinking of buying that.

Last edited:
Worked for me with DVDFab.
Seems AnyDVD is much slower on getting the updates out for many of these films.
Hate to say it since I spent the bucks on AnyDVD first, but after downloading the trial for DVDFab and getting better results I'm thinking of buying that.

Does DVDFAB burn - or does it need a 3rd party burner??

-W

Does DVDFAB burn - or does it need a 3rd party burner??

-W

DVDFab does it all and is quite versatile. It has a fully functional 30 day trial and I haven't found a movie that it won't work on. Platinum will do Movie Only-Movie only with Menus or Full Movie.

Maybe the product advertising should change.

"Works with all DVD copying, such as CloneDVD, and all DVD player software".

The recent "disclaimers" that indicate that it works fine with Clonedvd is fine; but, that's not why many purchased the product. Clonedvd does work; however, the "Shrink" quiality, when compared to DVD Shrink leaves some, like me, wanting for a "cleaner"copy. Also the Copy created by Clonedvd can not be processed by "other" DVD copying software.
So, use CloneDVD to rip to harddisk (disabling compression) & Shrink to compress. Very simple, and allows you "pre tuning" of titlesets in CloneDVD.

So, use CloneDVD to rip to harddisk (disabling compression) & Shrink to compress. Very simple, and allows you "pre tuning" of titlesets in CloneDVD.

So we should all just pony up for CloneDVD2 to use as an expensive band-aid so we can use Shrink, like we did last month before Saw3 ?

Heh.... I got a bridge I wanna sell you. :D

-W

Back