• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Fallout 3 and protections

ivanX

Translator (ru)
Only the Russian/English version will have StarForce.

US and European version will have SecuROM as far as i read.
Makes me a little confused. If English version will have StarForce then wouldn't that cover US and some European markets? Yes, the StarForce info I got was from a Russian source, would you mind posting a link where you read it will have SecuROM? Cheers :)

I believe Mass Effect had the same deal. The Russian release had StarForce and the US and other releases had SecuROM.

I believe Mass Effect had the same deal. The Russian release had StarForce and the US and other releases had SecuROM.
Yep, Russian Mass Effect had StarForce (5.5), but other markets seem to have had SecuROM. However, not just Russian markets use/used StarForce so potentially quite a few users of GJ could be missing out.

Yep, Russian Mass Effect had StarForce (5.5), but other markets seem to have had SecuROM. However, not just Russian markets use/used StarForce so potentially quite a few users of GJ could be missing out.

The Securom version doesn't require the original disc in the drive. However, there is a 3 computer activation limit for Mass Effect.

The Securom version doesn't require the original disc in the drive. However, there is a 3 computer activation limit for Mass Effect.
Interesting. The SecuROM used in Mass Effect is from the same branch (7.x) as for Far Cry 2 and the latter does need the disc to be present.

Interesting. The SecuROM used in Mass Effect is from the same branch (7.x) as for Far Cry 2 and the latter does need the disc to be present.

Yeah. No disc is required for Spore or Dead Space either (Securom version), but there's a 5 computer activation limit for those games. The common denominator here is Mass Effect, Spore, and Dead Space are published by Electronic Arts.

Last edited:
Yeah. No disc is required for Spore or Dead Space either (Securom version), but there's a 5 computer activation limit for those games. The common denominator here is Mass Effect, Spore, and Dead Space are published by Electronic Arts.
So, following that trail of thought, Red Alert 3 that I will pick up this Friday and will feature SecuROM as well, but would not need the disc to play. We will see...

In the meatime, I read that some BestBuys in USA will open at midnight so let's hope we'll get a scan info soon after :) Worth trying to make a profile using Fine Scan method too :agree:

If it has Starforce, you'd be crazy to even install it.
I guess that would depend on how much you want to play the game. Besides, last time I checked there is an official StarForce removal tool available on their site. I'm sure in 24 hours we'll know if USA version is "blessed" with SF or not.

Oooooh... Erm. Now I feel like an idiot. I've been popping my Dead Space disc in each time I played. Duh. :eek: Why did I think I needed to? :rolleyes:

1239_i39m_an_idiot.gif

Last edited:
Oooooh... Erm. Now I feel like an idiot. I've been popping my Dead Space disc in each time I played.

lol. I dunno why, but I literally have to force myself to play that game because it feels as though I'm actually doing work while I'm playing it. Maybe it's because the main character mostly does ship repairs.

Yep, I confirmed that it's SecuROM on USA release. Whether it's the same version as Far Cry 2 last week remains to be seen...

It's the same version as Far Cry 2, except it doesn't have limited activations. Interestingly, it has exactly the same bug as Far Cry 2. A lot of users have reported that Securom complains that emulation software was detected even if they have no emulation software installed at all. It doesn't like some DVD ROM drives it seems.

They have now released patches for both Far Cry 2 and Fallout 3 to fix the problem. I don't think that will console those very enthusiastic Fallout 3 customers who purchased the game at special midnight game store openings who found the game refused to install when they got it home though. :bang:

They have now released patches for both Far Cry 2 and Fallout 3 to fix the problem.
Just to refine this so people don't jump to conclusions: those "patches" have been released by SecuROM directly to users who have reported those problems to SecuROM and provided the necessary info to confirm that they have hiccups. They are not available to general public nor recommended to install if you manage to "get hold of" them. They will not remove SecuROM from your computer. Those are not the same as patches that fix game issues and neither were they released or supported by games' developers/publishers.

Just to refine this so people don't jump to conclusions: those "patches" have been released by SecuROM directly to users who have reported those problems to SecuROM and provided the necessary info to confirm that they have hiccups. They are not available to general public nor recommended to install if you manage to "get hold of" them. They will not remove SecuROM from your computer. Those are not the same as patches that fix game issues and neither were they released or supported by games' developers/publishers.

BioWare posted a SecuROM update at one point due to issues when they released the Bring Down the Sky downloadable content. I forget the specifics but it was a SecuROM update and not from BioWare's fix. In this case BioWare did what any good company should by posting it and not making the consumer have to fight for access to the fix from SecuROM.

It's really sad when a game gets hampered and the experience ruined by a bug/glitch in the actual copy protection on the disc. It's good to see this update was released so quickly but sad that it was necessary.

Yes that's right the patches were released by Securom, and only fix the incompatibilities causing the emulation detection to fail.

I had a similar issue once, with FEAR. I patched the game and the new patch must have updated the DRM which wouldn't recognise the disc at all. I had to submit a report to Securom who (to their credit) very quickly provided me with a new exe. The problem was when the next FEAR patch was released it broke the DRM again!

The Bioware Securom patch was to do with an explorer crash, where right clicking in explorer would crash the PC. This Securom bug manifested in several games, not just Mass Effect.

Last edited:
Back