• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD HD for Linux ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartman

Hi,

any chance to support AnyDVDHD on linux operating systems ?

thanks

Hi,

any chance to support AnyDVDHD on linux operating systems ?

thanks
Quite unlikely. The attitude of the maintainers of the Linux kernel scares us away.

I wish users would search this is like the 3 or 4th thread on this here and there is 20+ on cdfreaks asking the same.

That is a good ideal but then do most users really read them? I do agree though. :D

I have been looking at the forum and have seen that users have demanded many times a copy of any DVD for linux. Perhaps the time has come to Slysoft develop a version for Linux. Why not do a survey and ask users if they want a copy of anydvd for linux? You may be surprised by the results ...

Linux has been growing in recent years and more and more people are using it. Other companies are developing their products for Linux. I want Slysoft do the same, it would be great.

I have been looking at the forum and have seen that users have demanded many times a copy of any DVD for linux. Perhaps the time has come to Slysoft develop a version for Linux. Why not do a survey and ask users if they want a copy of anydvd for linux? You may be surprised by the results ...

Linux has been growing in recent years and more and more people are using it. Other companies are developing their products for Linux. I want Slysoft do the same, it would be great.

The topic has been discussed to death many times concerning Linux & Mac versions. Refer to the following links:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=164
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=4447
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=5205

These aren't all the discussions.

I'm a very big supporter of linux, and anything that Slysoft could do to "help" linux continue to gain ground is a + in my book; however, dual development would likely impact the quality of releases on the main platform... which isn't something I'm willing to sacrifice, and I would imagine most would feel the same.

Quite unlikely. The attitude of the maintainers of the Linux kernel scares us away.

Have you ever heard about fuse (file system user space)? It's a module part of the base kernel, very stable, supported and widely used, for example:

1) ntfs-3g uses fuse to mount ntfs filesystems in read/write mode
2) sshfs mounts remote filesystems in local through ssh and fuse. It's VERY powerful.
3) Wiifuse allows reading encrypted Wii disks; it's based on fuse
4) many others

I think this could fit perfectly as backbone for a AnyDVD-HD linux version.

What do you think?

Moreover there's no licence issue
from http://fuse.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FAQ :

1)Under what license is FUSE released?

The kernel part is released under the GNU GPL.
Libfuse is released under the GNU LGPL.
All other parts (examples, fusermount, etc) are released under the GNU GPL.

2)Under what conditions may I modify or distribute FUSE?

See the files COPYING and COPYING.LIB in the distribution.
More information can be found at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/

3)Under what conditions may I distribute a filesystem which uses libfuse?

In simple terms as long as you are linking dynamically (the default) there are no limitations on linking with libfuse. For example you may distribute the filesystem itself in binary form, without source code, under any propriatery license.

4)Under what conditions may I distribute a filesystem that uses the raw kernel interface of FUSE?

There are no restrictions whatsoever for using the raw kernel interface.

/close :bang:

I'm not going to close the thread... yet. Let the Moderators moderate.

I believe another Moderator merged robegue's posts into this existing thread which was a bit old. The person didn't just tack on posts to the existing thread.

It might be wise for the robegue to read all the threads concerning Linux, however.

Last edited:
i expect slysoft just don't have any linux/mac programmers, as the licensing/demand excuses have been destroyed.

Now, just between you and me... we don't have any programmers at all.
It all started out with an excel spreadsheet designed to calculate baseball results.
It was an odd mishap, the file extension accidentally got renamed to .exe and for some mysterious reason it turned out that this thing suddenly decrypted DVDs like hell!
Sure we tried the same with MAC and Linux, but I guess that would have been just too lucky. Sorry. Really. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back