• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Issues with Nero Recode and AnyDVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clams

You know there is a serious issue when DVD Shrink which doesn't get any updates handles a disc but Recode cannot. Rambo is a prime example. Recode can't even import the ripped files from your HDD without locking up. That's just one example.

I was totally unaware of this issue. I thought that once AnyDVD was used as the Ripper - that Shrink and Recode were totally interchangable.

-W

I was totally unaware of this issue. I thought that once AnyDVD was used as the Ripper - that Shrink and Recode were totally interchangable.

-W

Shrink is, but there's an issue with Recode. It seems to me that if DvdShrink works, then Recode should as well. Recode users are out of luck with full disc backups (including main menus) of Rambo, Saw IV, The Golden Compass, and Pirates of the Carribean (first movie) even when Anydvd ripper is used; tell Nero to fix their program.

Shrink is, but there's an issue with Recode. It seems to me that if DvdShrink works, then Recode should as well. Recode users are out of luck with full disc backups (including main menus) of Rambo, Saw IV, The Golden Compass, and Pirates of the Carribean (first movie) even when Anydvd ripper is used; tell Nero to fix their program.

3:10 to Yuma and Good Luck Chuck also lock up Recode when importing from the HDD if I remember correctly, as well.

I was unnaware of this. To me it looks like the problem is:

Rambo R1 widesreen (AnyDVD rip)

Menu folders VTS 2 thru VTS 18 are totally bogus ; only VTS 1 does anything.
Title 22 and all its parts are bogus

I'm not sure why Recode is overwhelmed by this and Shrink isn't ???

Clearly Recode has an issue vs Shrink.... but let's not use that to ignore that fact that some garbage is sneaking past the AnyDVD ripper. On the fly is understood - but the ripper outta get a clean rip that is usable by "dumb" copy software - who's job is not to deal with structural protections at all.

A quick (and important) question?? Can the output of the CloneDVD2 ripper be imported into Recode on these bad titles??

-W

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the newer protections just make things harder on many programs like DVD Shrink which is no longer developed. More worrisome and troublesome is the fact that Recode has issues. Recode is actively maintained and yet can't handle quite a number of newer movies. It's just a fact of life and the fault lands squarely in Nero's lap for not fixing their product.

You know there is a serious issue when DVD Shrink which doesn't get any updates handles a disc but Recode cannot. Rambo is a prime example. Recode can't even import the ripped files from your HDD without locking up. That's just one example.

Just use DVD Shrink in place of Recode with the troublesome ones but realize that with each new structural protection that there may come a time when DVD Shrink and Recode might not be a solution. Nero really needs to open their eyes and fix their product.

While it is INDEED strange and worrysome that Shrink seems to be handling stuff that Recode won't. I need to remind you of the flap with Saw 3 etc:

You're right that it's newer PROTECTIONS making it harder on Recode and Shrink. We all understood that AnyDVD cannot handle these newer structural PROTECTIONS on the fly, thusly the AnyDVD ripper is put into play.

However, if certain newer PROTECTIONS are now sneaking past the AnyDVD ripper and causing problems with Recode and/or Shrink; don't just point the finger at Nero and hint that Recode and Shrink might be useless someday. While it appears that Nero does have a problem that Shrink does not, the UNDERLYING problem is that all the structural PROTECTIONS are not getting removed by the AnyDVD ripper to begin with. So the problem does not lie "squarely" with Nero - there's plenty of blame to go around. Perhaps it's time the AnyDVD ripper got a quick update to get rid of a few more bogus title and bogus menu sets that are sneaking thru - Hmmm ??

If there comes a time that good old unsupported Shrink is not a solution - then AnyDVD will be broken - not Shrink. Shrink IS the de-facto standard for backup software, and the perfect litmus test to see if structural protections are indeed removed by the AnyDVD ripper. The fact that it's not supported or updated makes it perfect for the litmus test for AnyDVD. So long as enough PROTECTIONS are removed - Shrink works - that simple.
Remember the old rule. "If it don't work with Shrink, then it just plain don't work."

-W

Last edited:
Ink isn't ???

Clearly Recode has an issue vs Shrink.... but let's not use that to ignore that fact that some garbage is sneaking past the AnyDVD ripper. On the fly is understood - but the ripper outta get a clean rip that is usable by "dumb" copy software - who's job is not to deal with structural protections at all.

-W

Ihave to agree.

Just my opinion, and I don't mean to hog this blog, but clone dvd seems to just make backing up a movie less problemsome. I will swear by the combination of anydvd, and clone dvd.

We all have opinions. Those of us that use Shrink and Recode do so mostly because of the superior transcoder. Personally, I also can't stand the CloneDVD interface much.

But the issue here is not one of personal opinions about copy software. It's a declaritory statement of fact: That if all protections are properly removed by the ripper; then you should be able to import your (clean?) rip into whatever copy software you choose to. And that's not a matter of taste or personal opinion.

They broke out a new thread for this discussion for a reason - so I'll limit further commentary to that thread.

-W

Last edited:
Thanks for agreeing, but it's not even a matter of opinion, it's just a fact.

And the stated fact is: That if all structural copy protection is removed in the rip, then even the oldest and dumbest of DVD copy programs should be able to handle the output that's ripped to the hard drive. That's real simple, and not an opinion.

In case you weren't around: We all agreed during the days of SAW3 that AnyDVD would no longer be able to handle these strange structural protections "on the fly". The solution was a code update to the AnyDVD ripper so that it removed these protections while ripping the DVD. Yes, it would take much longer, but you'd get a clean rip.

It seems to me that now the evil studios have switched from just adding a bunch of bogus title sets, to also adding a bunch of bogus menu sets. And if this trend continues, the only solution might be another update to AnyDVD or the AnyDVD ripper to insure a cleaner output to allow the end-user to import the rip wherever he wishes.

-W

Thanks for agreeing, but it's not even a matter of opinion, it's just a fact.

No. That doesn't explain why Pirates of Carribean R1 locks up Recode and not Shrink. There are no bogus titlesets. Your conclusion is faulty.

Last edited:
No. That doesn't explain why Pirates of Carribean R1 locks up Recode. There are no bogus titlesets. Your conclusion is faulty.

... and Recode is just buggy?

SCNR ;)

... and Recode is just buggy?

I'm sure if anyone could figure it out--you could, if you really wanted to. :)
/duck

It's not as though Nero is going to fix their problem. :(

I know that you're not a big fan of Recode, and I can't really blame you if you don't want to figure out what's going on.
The responsibility should be with Nero, but again, they aren't going to fix their program.

Doesn't bother me. I don't compress video--and if I did, I wouldn't be using a transcoder.

Last edited:
However, if certain newer PROTECTIONS are now sneaking past the AnyDVD ripper

They aren't. Something else is going on that affects Recode, but not Shrink.

Please stop posting in that other person's troubleshooting thread concerning this issue. I moved your posts for a reason. I don't need that thread gummed up with an off-topic discussion (it confuses me, for one) if he comes back with more troubleshooting info. Thank you

Last edited:
And the stated fact is: That if all structural copy protection is removed in the rip, then even the oldest and dumbest of DVD copy programs should be able to handle the output that's ripped to the hard drive. That's real simple, and not an opinion.

2nd that!

No. That doesn't explain why Pirates of Carribean R1 locks up Recode and not Shrink. There are no bogus titlesets. Your conclusion is faulty.

Faulty in the case of Pirates R1 perhaps. Was this a widespread issue? I don't even remember it when the disk was new.
But as the list of *new* DVD's with strange structural issues that won't work with Recode grows, it still begs to question *why*.

You're probably right that Nero is "buggy", but then again... the AnyDVD Rambo rip with 17 bogus menu sets and the 35 piece bogus Title 22 is not quite a clean rip iether. If something chokes on that mess - who's gonna fix it??

I agree that Nero is prolly not gonna figure this out.

-W

They aren't. Something else is going on that affects Recode, but not Shrink.

And last time it affected Shrink and not most versions of Recode - there's ultimately only one company that will solve it - and it ain't Nero. :D

-W

Please stop posting in that other person's troubleshooting thread concerning this issue. I moved your posts for a reason. I don't need that thread gummed up with an off-topic discussion (it confuses me, for one) if he comes back with more troubleshooting info. Thank you

Hey? I made it clear I was not gonna reply to that thread any more. I was trying to get out and posted that loud and clear. You must have seen it right before you moved the post here??

-W

Last edited:
Faulty in the case of Pirates R1 perhaps. Was this a widespread issue?

Widespread in terms of what? It just seemed to affect that disc at the time (but there may have been more). I own Pirates of the Caribbean R1, so it's an issue I could verify. Now there are more discs that just lockup recode (recode freezes).

If something chokes on that mess - who's gonna fix it??

I'm sure James would. It's just bogus titlesets. They don't have info in them. I don't think any program should really choke on them once Anydvd ripper is used. Just empty space, really . . .

If your theory were correct, it would be x (variable) amount of files crashes Recode. I don't think that's what's going on here. The files aren't protected once they're ripped by Anydvd.

Last edited:
2nd that!

Shrink works fine with Anydvd ripper. Shrink is abandonware and freeware. Recode is ironically an updated (and supposedly supported) commercial software that is based somewhat on Shrink. If Shrink can handle something--anything should handle it. The fact that Recode doesn't points strongly to buggy program.

Hey? I made it clear I was not gonna reply to that thread any more. I was trying to get out and posted that loud and clear. You must have seen it right before you moved the post here??

-W

I must have missed something, sorry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back