• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Customs officers may get power to scan devices for piracy.

Hawk

I thought I should this with slysoft community Customs officers may get power to scan devices for piracy.

Those who travel by plane may have to face longer security delays, thanks to a new international copyright treaty secretly proposing an Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) that would allow customs officers to check media players, laptops, storage media and mobile phones for pirated material. Basically, this ACTA is aimed at seriously targeting the distribution of unlicensed content.

This information has been leaked by Wikileaks that received documents detailing the extent of the treaty which has been setup between the US, EU, Canada, Japan and Australia. According to this Canada report, the agreement is structured similar to the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), with the exception that this will introduce rules & regulations that deal with copyright laws and home copying.

Going by the leaked info, suggestions include removing the distinction between those who profit from piracy and those who do not, which will result in tougher penalties for those who do not profit from copyright infringement. Custom offices will be given the power to confiscate and destroy anything they believe to be pirated as well as be able to fine the owner and confiscate their equipment. Finally, ISPs could be forced without court order to hand over customer details if an intellectual property owner believes the customer may be infringing their copyright.

To make matters worse, as it is often quite difficult to tell whether files have actually been pirated or obtained legally, it will be the officers that will be responsible for determining what is and is not copyright infringing content. So a consumer could still be fined and possibly have their equipment confiscated if security officers finds what they believe is pirated material, even if the person does not have a single piece of infringing content on their equipment.

(This article is not our concern, but I thought I should share with you about this article)

it is often quite difficult to tell whether files have actually been pirated or obtained legally, it will be the officers that will be responsible for determining what is and is not copyright infringing content. So a consumer could still be fined and possibly have their equipment confiscated if security officers finds what they believe is pirated material, even if the person does not have a single piece of infringing content on their equipment.

im concerned. i think others oughta be too. some random border cop having the power to decide if i keep my laptop/mp3 collection (they arent bought from a drm infested store, i ripped them. they are clean, high/variable bit-rate mp3, which may raise eyebrows) is not cool. at all. :bang:

time to set up my vpn softwares...

this ACTA thing is very bad news, the MPAA/RIAA must have bought off some big time senators to get this one in. it seriously needs to be stopped.

so basically if some customs officer is having a bad day (and we all know they're pretty crabby guys, yeah i mean you SFO) then they can just confiscate your ipod or laptop without proof - and i bet those ipods and laptops get sold on ebay or distributed amongst the staff.

its time for some good old full disk encryption on laptops, dunno what you'll do about mp3 players etc; i guess just don't take them in your hand luggage.

all the fake security at airports due to "terrorism" is bad enough, but if they're going to start trawling through mp3 players too now, i'm just going to give up on flying, the airports will be so slow it'll be quicker to drive/boat!

Anyone got a link for this..? Something doesn't pass the smell test.

-W

Anyone got a link for this..? Something doesn't pass the smell test.

-W

I'd be interested to see a link, as well.

As far as passing the smell test, remember this is a proposal. Proposals are quite often ridiculous. Lobbyist A approaches Congressman B and along with many incentives gets Congressman B to push for legislation involving absolutely ridiculous things. The proposal part is easy. It's getting it passed by Congress and becoming a reality that is a whole different story.

Just leave your DVDs at home when you travel LOL.;)

Just leave your DVDs at home when you travel LOL.;)

I think most people do. But when people travel, they bring their laptops, right? What if you wanted to watch a movie you just bought, so your rip it to your hard drive--but you don't want to bring the original dvd with you to prove that you bought the disc? That becomes a problem.

Those who travel by plane may have to face longer security delays...

Honestly, this is nothing but another a gimmick. This is a complete invasion of privacy and, I don't see this happening...the fact that laptop computers need a password to access the content on the machine. Are you gonna actually believe customs officers are gonna be asking for passwords for laptops?? :mad: The only people that can access your laptop with out a password are the F.B.I. and Microsoft ;). I Seriouly doubt that, customs officers will be taught this at all. And, I'm pretty sure no customs officer will bother with this procedure. This reminds me of someone posting something about placing a chip in (retail) DVDs so the DVD player would to detemin whether the disc was a copy or a genuine DVD disc. Has this been applied yet? I didn't think so...If I were you I would completely disregard Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement. :D

I think most people do. But when people travel, they bring their laptops, right? What if you wanted to watch a movie you just bought, so your rip it to your hard drive--but you don't want to bring the original dvd with you to prove that you bought the disc? That becomes a problem.
Its a sign to the times we live in, there is nothing you can do about it. Just leave anything that you know will be a problem on an external drive at home. Then you can put it back. If you have to bring the original to watch.

i sure hope they dont start it. although i have heard reports of customs forcing to 'examine' laptops on pain of confiscation, even if something like bitlocker has been used to lock the harddrive (with passwords being required).

pos police state leanings...

So anyone carrying an iPod is screwed. How do you prove you legitimately own those songs on the iPod? So everyone with a iPod will have it confiscated?

It looks to me like someone was pressured to propose it and, yes, it will be discussed but it cannot pass in a sane world.

Copyright owners will be able to obtain customer account details without a search warrant? That is ludicrous. Yes, I realize some ISPs have already turned over evidence without a warrant but to make this a reality where it isn't required is definitely a dangerous thing. It's one very slippery slope.

Its a sign to the times we live in, there is nothing you can do about it. Just leave anything that you know will be a problem on an external drive at home. Then you can put it back. If you have to bring the original to watch.

there is nothing you can do about it. Just leave anything that you know will be a problem on an external drive at home.

I say buy an external storage on Internet and upload there, once reach destination download again. Ok I am kidding with lots of data is not economical option.

or you could stay at a place with free fast wifi and set up a private fileshare from your home comp to your laptop, and then delete the files after. 8) i doubt it would work very much though :eek:

-=Edit=- i do like the internet storage idea though, it could work

US custom agents have had the power to search and seize laptops / computer HDDs for some time now... no big secret.

A lot of companies, including my own, are telling their employees to put sensitive information on Solid State Media such as USB sticks etc as they're easier to hide / maneuver around the checkpoint.

Add this:

Detainees will be forced to give DNA sample at U.S. borders
By Ethan Baron, The Province
Published: Saturday, April 19, 2008
Canadians suspected of offences at the U.S. border will be ordered to provide DNA samples starting later this year.

The new U.S. policy will require that DNA swab samples be taken from anyone arrested in the U.S. and from foreigners detained at the border who aren't legal U.S. residents.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=e211aa63-693a-46c5-bca3-71895fca4fbf&k=76508

For some reason the link only works sometimes, so keep trying.

Back