• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD, AnyDVD-HD

30.00 was a fair trade I thought personally, I don't own a HD-DVD player or drive yet but didn't really know how long the upgrade offer was to last either so I just went on and upgraded, On my new build which is no major rush will have the hybrid player or one of each if needed So I seen pay now as an investment. As for the upgrade fee well that wasn't much due to the fact the time and resources that went into the new technology.

Really...30 bucks is WAY TOO MUCH?!?!?! What is wrong with you people?! The cost of an HD-DVD movie is 25-35 bucks. ONE MOVIE! So, an upgrade that gives you unlimited updates for life costing 30 bucks is too much?! Are you people crazy? I'm sorry, but, so many people seem to think it should be given away or cost 20 or less or whatever, but, Slysoft put effort into developing this. It wasn't like they woke up one day, slapped the "aacs removal code" together in an hour, and decided to rape consumers by overcharging for it. It cost them money to develop this technology. And you're all complaining that it costs the price of a movie to upgrade to this version. Give me a break.

Well said.:clap: :agree:

I own an Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive but don't yet have a computer fast enough to play back the movies. I would buy the upgrade now but I would like to know that we will not have to pay again when Bluray support is added.

I own an Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive but don't yet have a computer fast enough to play back the movies. I would buy the upgrade now but I would like to know that we will not have to pay again when Bluray support is added.

There's no guarantee Blu-ray support will ever be added. And there's certainly no guarantee that if it is added you won't have to pay again.

I can't speak for Slysoft on this issue but I can offer an opinion that it seems unlikely they'd charge again for BluRay. It's not Any HD-DVD, it's AnyDVD HD, so, it stands to reason that BluRay support would be included as an update to AnyDVD HD rather than an upgrade. Again, this is personal opinion.

Slysoft doesn't offer true lifetime upgrades. The one for AnyDVD expires on December 31st, 2050.

Slysoft doesn't offer true lifetime upgrades. The one for AnyDVD expires on December 31st, 2050.

Why do people get this point confused? They don't offer free up*GRADES* period. They offer free upDATES and there *IS* a difference. :) As for the 2050 date, that was explained before...they had to pick some arbitrary date. Do you REALLY think that's going to affect you? :)

What is the technical difference between an upgrade and update? And why did they have to pick a date? It's lifetime.

What is the technical difference between an upgrade and update? And why did they have to pick a date? It's lifetime.

An upgrade gives new functionality, such as adding HD support to AnyDVD. An update fixes issues with existing functionality. Look at it from the Windows perspective. An upgrade would be XP to Vista...not free. Updates come from Windows update and are free. See the difference?

As for the date, I forget the explanation as I really didn't care. I am quite sure I won't be using the product in 50 some odd years. :)

the HD DVD i think is a ways off, even though there out there, but
i don't mess with them, beause no need to yet.................

not to point bad fingers at SLYSOFT but the $30.00 upgrade
is little much......:doh:

So if you don't mess with HD DVD, why do the 30.00 upgrade bother you? Do don't need it.

An upgrade gives new functionality, such as adding HD support to AnyDVD. An update fixes issues with existing functionality. Look at it from the Windows perspective. An upgrade would be XP to Vista...not free. Updates come from Windows update and are free. See the difference?

As for the date, I forget the explanation as I really didn't care. I am quite sure I won't be using the product in 50 some odd years. :)
Regardless, I don't expect to be dead in 43 years. It should work forever.

:D
Nows the time for a little mathamatics for me, I am 63 years old now, it I get updates until 2050, that will mean I am good till I am 106 years old. I don't think I will worry about it now.:D

If we are still around, come on man be reasonable. You are from the Detroit area what are the chances of us been around in 2050.

Regardless, I don't expect to be dead in 43 years. It should work forever.

And what's going to prevent it from doing so? I'm sure we'll have moved beyond DVD and HD-DVD/BluRay by then, so, 50 years of updates will most likely reach end of life of those products and therefore AnyDVD HD won't need to be updated in 50 years. Hence, it'll still work.

What is the technical difference between an upgrade and update?

While this is meant to apply to another product, the following explanation suffices.

modified from http://financialsoft.about.com/od/softwaretitle1/f/upgradevupdate.htm

A. The difference between a software upgrade and a software update can be confusing.

A software update is made available by free download to customers as a fix for a bug in the software or it is a minor enhancement to the software. A software update is also sometimes called a patch, because it is applied over software that you already have installed.

A software upgrade is a purchase of a newer version of software you currently use. For example, if you currently use Anydvd and you bought and installed Anydvd HD, you’ve just upgraded your software.

And why did they have to pick a date? It's lifetime.

I'm guessing for legal reasons a date is required.

I doubt anyone will be using dvds in 2050 anyway.

Last edited:
If we are still around, come on man be reasonable. You are from the Detroit area what are the chances of us been around in 2050.
I'm not close to the Detroit area. I live about 2 hours away from it, but I go there sometimes to watch MLB baseball.

And what's going to prevent it from doing so? I'm sure we'll have moved beyond DVD and HD-DVD/BluRay by then, so, 50 years of updates will most likely reach end of life of those products and therefore AnyDVD HD won't need to be updated in 50 years. Hence, it'll still work.
I hope we are using these. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein-coated_disc
That allows for up to 50TB of data storage!!!!!!

I hope we are using these. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein-coated_disc
That allows for up to 50TB of data storage!!!!!!

Sweet! But that's my point exactly. In 50 years, will AnyDVD, even AnyDVD HD actually be necessary? Look at the last 50 years of computing and how far we've come. Can you honestly say that you can predict what the next 50 years will bring? I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that Windows won't be what we're using and that you'll have a hard time finding something for AnyDVD to actually RUN on. :) Maybe in emulation, but, you better stock up on drives between now and then. See if you can get one of those hardware mfg's to give you a 50 year warranty. BAHAHAHA. :D And do you think the physical media is going to last 50 years? They CLAIM it will, but, how do they REALLY know? They don't. Hence, I'm TRULY not worried about lifetime updates.

It will. (if you have a compatible PC with a compatible OS running in 43 years).
Who knows what we might be using in 43 years. We might be able to hook something up to our head where we can just think of what we want to type in our brains and it will type it for us.

Back