• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Movie Only BD Guide

SamuriHL

UHD Guru
NOTE: If you are using XP, PLEASE ensure you have the Toshiba UDF driver installed!

Update: Please STRONGLY consider using ClownBD for making Movie Only backups now. It's an excellent utility and until CloneBD is released is really the best option for making Movie Only backups.

If that doesn't work out for you or you really want to do it manually, this guide is still here:

Tools needed:
BDInfo
TSMuxer

-Open BDInfo and determine the playlist of the main movie. BDInfo is designed to show you this information but you will need to determine which one is what you want
-Pick the playlist file of the movie you found using BDInfo. (e.g. 00007.mpls)
-Open mpls file from previous step with tsmuxer. (e.g. 00007.mpls)
-Deselect streams you want to remove
-Output to a blu-ray folder structure
-Use my makeISO to make a new ISO OR just use ImgBurn directly on the output folder. Make sure to keep the Certificate AND BDMV folders. Set UDF to 2.50. The latest ImgBurn can now detect BD structures and will hopefully assist in setting the right options.
-Mount ISO in Virtual CloneDrive or burn it to disc. Note: Daemon Tools is no longer recommended as the latest version may cause issues.
-Enjoy

PrincipalityFusion has another movie only guide, as well, that has far more detailed instructions. See his guide here.

Last edited:
Hi SamuriHL,

Please correct me if I am wrong - by using this way, we can play the new audio format such as TrueHD today before the new hardware and software available, right?

Do we have to back up again when the new hardware and software available?

Thanks!

I'm not sure I follow the question. Whatever is on the original BD, you can master those streams into a new, smaller ISO containing just what you want. Obviously you lose the menu and any extras using this method, but, that is the unfortunate price we pay for making things smaller at this level of the game. So I guess to answer your question, if the original has a TrueHD sound track, just keep that selected when you make your new BD folder structure and your backup ISO will contain it, as well. It'll play as well as the original does.

why are you using eac3to? what function does it do?

EDIT: i'm an idiot, it joins all the playlist files

Last edited:
Well, not exactly. It simply lists the biggest playlists which are LIKELY to be the main movie. It assists in joining seamless branching titles automatically by allowing you to find the playlist you need to open in tsmuxer.

Hi SamuriHL,

Thanks for the reply. I realized using this method will save some disk space but I was also under the impression that it will able to output lossless audio format today in a different ways other than HDMI 1.3, before hardware and software in place.

Thanks again!

What you're saying makes absolutely no sense at all. Your player controls the output of the audio. If powerdvd downsamples it on the original, it's going to do the same to the backup, as well. Using this method posted here, the audio tracks are identical between original and backup. So I'm not sure exactly what it is you're trying to say there.

What you're saying makes absolutely no sense at all. Your player controls the output of the audio. If powerdvd downsamples it on the original, it's going to do the same to the backup, as well. Using this method posted here, the audio tracks are identical between original and backup. So I'm not sure exactly what it is you're trying to say there.

I don't remember which AVS threads I read... I read some posts that using this method or at least I thought it is using this way, eac2to, someone was able to output the loseless audio format using SPDIF today. I thought you are providing this method to anyone here want to do that before the hardware and software truly ready for loseless format. I guess not - my bad.

Just wondering using this method from your experience, how many GB or % we will able to save? I understand it is vary from disk to disk but are we talking about 20%, 30% or more?

Thanks!

I don't remember which AVS threads I read... I read some posts that using this method or at least I thought it is using this way, eac2to, someone was able to output the loseless audio format using SPDIF today. I thought you are providing this method to anyone here want to do that before the hardware and software truly ready for loseless format. I guess not - my bad.

You misunderstood. That is completely impossible. SPDIF does not have the bandwidth for HD audio of any variety. It will always be downsampled to the core audio formats (ac3/dts).

Just wondering using this method from your experience, how many GB or % we will able to save? I understand it is vary from disk to disk but are we talking about 20%, 30% or more?

Thanks!

Yea, it REALLY depends on the movie. Some movies, for instance, have both a TrueHD and LPCM track. If you get rid of the LPCM track and keep the TrueHD track then you can save a significant amount of space. Others I've only seen a 5 or 6 gig savings on. Most of the ones I've done end up being between 20 and 30 gig whereas they start out at between 30 and 40. Not bad by any means.

hi thanks for the info,but iam new to this and how do i go about open a command prompt? for example if i backup my bd movie to my k drive.do i just open eac3to in that folder?

and what i like to do is have the main movie only then burn it to dvd9...with this method i will still need to split the movie into 3 or 4 dvd9 is this correct? and sorry but how will i do this..thanks

Search this forum for 'command here' and use that .inf file to install a new menu item on your folders called "Command Here". You right click on the folder containing eac3to.exe, select Command Here, and then run the command. Easiest way I know of to do that.

I'm not into the whole splitting idea, but, here's a guide that should help with that:

BD to DVD

The downsample option in TSMuxer (e.g. for True-HD audio to AC3) may not work on all titles (e.g. National Treasure 2) so you should keep the True-HD audio stream. Also, if there are two video streams (e.g. 720x480 and 1920x1080) make sure you select the 1920x1080 stream because the 720x480 is only PIP video.

Yup, good advice. I tend to keep the highest quality, smallest audio stream. What I mean is, because TrueHD is only "recommended" for BD and not required to be supported, a lot of studios add another HD audio track such as LPCM. There is 0 difference in quality between a TrueHD or DTS HD MA track and the LPCM track, but, the size difference is huge. Plus by keeping the TrueHD or DTS HD MA track, your player should be able to decode the core audio if you wanted to output via SPDIF, for example. I also keep the english subs because there could be translations to foreign languages as part of the main movie contained in those.

This is the simplest method at the moment to create a stripped down BD movie.

-Open a command prompt to where eac3to is located
-eac3to <driveletter>: (e.g. eac3to d: )
-Pick the playlist file of the movie you want. (e.g. 00007.mpls)
-Open mpls file from step 3 with TSMuxer. (e.g. 00007.mpls)
-Deselect streams you want to remove
-Output to a blu-ray folder structure
-Use my makeISO to make a new ISO
-Mount ISO in VCD or Daemon Tools or burn it to disc
-Enjoy

Since we keep posting these directions over and over, I've added it to my signature. I'll update this guide as things get easier. (For instance, I suspect the next version of TSMuxer will probably list the playlist files like eac3to does so that eac3to won't be necessary for the first step) Or if we get blindsided and Slysoft suddenly releases CloneBD that does it all in one easy to use GUI, you know, we'll nuke this guide altogether. :)
Hi,
Thanks for this guide. I like the TSMuxer program it makes things very clear, like labeling which language is which. However I have a problem with the video being jerky. It pauses every so many seconds. Otherwise it looks and sounds great and even the original chapter marks are retained.

What did I do wrong?

Not sure. Did you get any errors in the log when it was outputting to the new Blu-ray folder? Were you doing it from the original, mounted image, or from a folder on the hard drive?

Not sure. Did you get any errors in the log when it was outputting to the new Blu-ray folder? Were you doing it from the original, mounted image, or from a folder on the hard drive?
It was from a folder on the hard drive.
No errors in the log.

everything went smoothly until it tried to play.

It was from a folder on the hard drive.
No errors in the log.

everything went smoothly until it tried to play.

I'm not sure what's going on there, then. You may want to post a message on the Doom9 forum and see if anyone has any idea. Other than the basic usage, I'm not a guru on tsmuxer by ANY means.

I'm not sure what's going on there, then. You may want to post a message on the Doom9 forum and see if anyone has any idea. Other than the basic usage, I'm not a guru on tsmuxer by ANY means.
I retried this technique with nothing else running in the background. No error reported, the process took just a little over 40 minutes.
The pausing problem is still there. (Tested on Nero, Arcsoft, & Cyberlink)

After it happened again I mirrored the process with TSremux (0.21.2) and both movies I tired seem to play fine, without the pausing problem. Apparently TSmuxer has a problem with my hardware or software, which is a shame because it seems to be capable of doing a better job. I'm hoping the next tsmuxer resolvers this problem.

P.S. I made TS file with tsmuxer seemed to play fine in Nero, it might just be a Blu-ray disc output that I've got wrong somewhere.

Weird. Like I said, post a message in the tsmuxer thread on doom9 and hopefully Roman can figure it out for you. What if you output an m2ts with tsmuxer and then create the bd folder structure from that using tsremux?

Back