• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD HD, does it REALLY remove HDCP?

toryglen-boy

Hi there, i thought as a registered user, i would post.

I built a HTPC for my newly purchased LG 42" TV, nothing special about it, 2.4Ghz C2Duo, 2Gb RAM, 500Gb Drive, ATi HD3450, LG HDDVD/BluRay drive.

using the drive, and watching HD-DVD's on it (what can i say, they had a load of them on sale) watching movies on PowerDVD windowed, fine. Make PDVD full screen, and screen goes black, have to reboot PC.

install (purchase Any DVD-HD) to remove HDCP, movies play in a windows on PDVD fine, full screen, jerky and clunky, some movies worse than others, although better then rebooting.

my question is, does AnyDVD-HD really remove HDCP? is it my ATi card thats not 100% compliant, or it PowerDVD not really great for playing Hi-Def movies?

thanks

:bang:

Sounds very much like you have hardware acceleration issues. You might want to search AVForums and see if you can find a fix.

Sounds very much like you have hardware acceleration issues. You might want to search AVForums and see if you can find a fix.

thats a pretty broad statement!! care to speculate?

i take it you mean acceleration on the video card?

:confused:

Ok, so i tried playback with hardware acceleration disabled.

PDVD crashed, right up until acceleration was turned on again, and even then its just as flakey

wierd .... with AnyDVD-HD installed, the disk wont even play in full screen, never mind flakey

:bang:

It wasn't a broad statement at all. There have been numerous reports of hardware acceleration problems in PowerDVD. Hence why I said to search for it as I don't have the issue myself and do not know exactly how to fix it. Some people have said you need to replace a certain file. It appears to be a bug with either PowerDVD or how PowerDVD interacts with certain drivers. Again, search for 'hardware acceleration powerdvd' and see what comes up.

It wasn't a broad statement at all.

soz, i was unaware of the issue.

when you said an 'acceleration issue' there was no mention of what might have the issue, it was like someone saying 'yeah your car wont go as there is a problem with getting it working'

but you have to excuse me, i am fairly new to all this.

i wonder if older Cats will work ...

many thanks anway

:rock:

There's a whole bunch of posts on it on AVSForums I believe. Make sure you have the AVIVO software loaded, too. Apparently that's needed. I'm SO glad I got an 8800 GT instead of an ATI card. :)

Also, if you can disable HW acceleration with an HD3450, I think you're using a pretty old PowerDVD build. Have you updated to the latest?

First of all, AnyDVD HD does NOT remove HDCP, rather it removes the NEED for HDCP. The liscensed software players will simply see a disc without AACS (and BD+) and not insist on using HDCP. I only make this distinction because I have seen people asking if AnyDVD can remove HDCP from other sources, like Satellite Receivers or the PS3. Since AnyDVD does not have keys to HDCP (that would be cracking it), it cannot work with HDCP from other sources.

Now, as for your playback issues, your system should not have any trouble playing back HD discs, even without acceleration. Since you have a card that can accelerate though, that should be the best way to go. I agree that you should update PowerDVD to the latest patch, since there's no need to hold onto older versions that play BD+ discs with no AACS. Also, what version of your video card drivers are you using? Which OS?

I just got acceleration working myself a couple days ago, using a Radeon 3450, so I know it can be done now. I also had to upgrade to PowerDVD 8 to get rid of a pesky downscaling problem I was having. There are still a couple quirks left, but I can live with them until the Radeon 4000 series comes out. Hopefully, they will be resolved by then, and perhaps this time ATi can get HDMI audio working correctly...

I would say PowerDVD

I run PowerDVD Ultra to play DVD and HDDVD, It has a number of issues. Seems to memory leak and then crash the system. Also will not play Ripped HD files (EVO)

Make sure you have the latest PowerDVD for HD. You need version 7.3 with a patch available from Cyberlink. I have not yet found a way to play HD from a Hard drive so you are best to have a HDCP complient video card

Make sure you have the latest PowerDVD for HD. You need version 7.3 with a patch available from Cyberlink. I have not yet found a way to play HD from a Hard drive so you are best to have a HDCP complient video card

You did notice that the post before yours was over a year old?

Use Adbear's guide for making ISO's (click on the link in his sig from two posts above) and you will have no problems playing from your hard drive - usually he would point that out but I guess he was feeling grumpy ;)

Back