• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

TROJAN HORSE Virus Found - HOW DO I GET RID OF IT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willyzilly

I downloaded a copy of AnyDVD from Slysoft.com SITE for the 21-day free trial period.

Upon download my Symantec Corporate detected a trojan horse virus, under filename regcheck.exe.

I also am running AVG but it detected nothing, it could be because it was put into quarantine before it had a chance to see it. I run Symantec scan at 5:30 am & AVG scan at 10:30 pm each day.

I have checked past threads on this issue, and many of you claim that in order to get a virus you are d/l this program from a different site. I can assure you, I GOT IT HERE. A number of you also say that Symantec is just being picky. Either way -- it says I have something and it is stuck in my computer.

I WANT IT OFF MY COMPUTER. How do I get rid of it? Symantec cannot correct (fix?) it and is continuing to keep it in quarantine.

I have since uninstalled AnyDVD as I do not want this kind of hassle from a company and/or program.

Any appropriately helpful advice would be appreciated.
Will

Contact Symantec. If you downloaded the file from Slysoft.com's servers then it's a false positive and Symantec is being overly sensitive.

Unless you told AVG to exclude scanning Symantec's quarantine folder and/or Symantec renames quarantined files to be an extension that is not normally scanned by AVG then AVG will have access to it just as it does when scanning any other file on your system.

Two AV programs on the same PC is not a good thing.
Norton is infamous for false positives.
Run a good anti-spyware program (i.e. Spyware Terminator)
If no software can deleted the Trojan...........Start in Safe Mode-Turn "OFF" System Restore Turn "OFF" any AV softwares and run an online AV scan.

"Trojan Remover' is a very good utility for removing infected PC's. It helped me out a few months ago when I could not get rid of a nasty one I had...Google it.

I know you did not get any virus from Slysoft or software downloaded from Slysofts site. Been using AnyDVD since the early days and these guys would not let that happen.

I have Symantec Corp Version and it has never detected any Virus from this website ever!

As oldjoe said, 2 antivirus programs are never a good thing, but if you like try this, disable ur installed AV programs then go to Virustotal.com its a free online checker that checks against 30 different antivirus checkers!

never had to use it myself but others have said that it works.

once done turn on your AV again.

As oldjoe said, 2 antivirus programs are never a good thing, but if you like try this, disable ur installed AV programs then go to Virustotal.com its a free online checker that checks against 30 different antivirus checkers!

never had to use it myself but others have said that it works.

once done turn on your AV again.

VirusTotal isn't a good suggestion in this case. It may only cause more confusion and worry. eSafe and Prevx1 are known to not like the AnyDVD installer and haven't for some time now. Nonetheless, the rest of the AV programs say the installer is clean.

If the installer is obtained directly from Slysoft's servers then the installer and software installed is safe and clean.

Personally I would not run ANYTHING from Symantec but their online scan. Their suites are too intrusive and resource hawgs. Grisoft's AVG Free does rarely have a false positive, but they are quick to fix the error. An unhealable quarantined file is apt to be stuck that way til a fix is out in any case. Have a second AV in case you have to run it while awaiting fix from primary. But as said above, do NOT run 2 at once. They can cycle ''hits'' between themselves and cause a REAL problem at times!

I downloaded a copy of AnyDVD from Slysoft.com SITE for the 21-day free trial period.

Upon download my Symantec Corporate detected a trojan horse virus, under filename regcheck.exe.
Will

FYI i've just scanned the SetupAnyDVD6422.exe installer downloaded from website
MD5 Hash: 6be4ddd5aa2951bcb01ad11d88160d41

running my Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition (SAVCE) v10.1.6.6010 [Virus Definitions File 14/05/2008 rev. 35] and the file is CLEAN! :)

Nothing wrong with Norton Corp, no reason to delete. Why would I want to pay for Nod? :disagree::disagree:

And you couldn't pay me to use Norton AV/Symantec AV Corp. :p

People also need to remember that there is a difference between Norton Antivirus and Symantec Antivirus Corporate regardless of Symantec making both. The corporate AV is better. The best way to resolve this situation is to contact the AV vendor (Symantec). By now they may have updated their definitions or given an explanation as to why the file was flagged.

I either use Kaspersky or Eset NOD32 on all systems that I use. One of the big pluses for Eset NOD32 is how much less memory is uses.

Last edited:
And you couldn't pay me to use Norton AV/Symantec AV Corp. :p

People also need to remember that there is a difference between Norton Antivirus and Symantec Antivirus Corporate regardless of Symantec making both. The corporate AV is better. The best way to resolve this situation is to contact the AV vendor (Symantec). By now they may have updated their definitions or given an explanation as to why the file was flagged.

I either use Kaspersky or Eset NOD32 on all systems that I use. One of the big pluses for Eset NOD32 is how much less memory is uses.
Which is why I said the CORP version!! :rock:

oh great its turning into another "which AV is best" thread!

Nope, not at all. I simply noted my use of AV products and I do realize peoples' opinions are subjective.

I wanted to point out that Symantec Corp AV and Norton AV although both made by Symantec are not the same. I don't consider them comparable.

Anyway, you are right in the fact that this shouldn't become an X is better than Y thread. The detection is a false positive if the installer came from Slysoft's website.

Unless the OP has more to add there is really no point in anyone else replying. I'll leave the thread open in hopes the OP reports back but no one else really should need to post here unless they also have a warning from an AV. We don't need AV suggestions or to be told that their AV sees no problem.

Last edited:
i have norton enterprise on my machine and it did say i have a trojan horse in anydvd.zip. norton put it in quarintine should i delete it and would that stop any dvd from working???

i have norton enterprise on my machine and it did say i have a trojan horse in anydvd.zip. norton put it in quarintine should i delete it and would that stop any dvd from working???

What is anydvd.zip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back