• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Concerning rentals...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uglyinthemornin'

Moderators do the Moderating

You are a Moderator correct?
So Moderate! (Thank Shoe)

By the way I did 21 dresses in under 10 mintues a freakin' record.

So now talking about copying rental dvd's is acceptable?

Maybe its time to update the forum rules then.

Hi :)
Basically it has been decided that reference to rentals is acceptable.
But that doesn't mean opening the floodgates.
On some occasions where someone purchases a faulty disc.
The replacement being sometime off. (Mail order. shop out of stock, faulty batch etc.)
It could be deemed appropriate to use a rental to complete the backup.
As an interim measure.
Plus some countries laws are somewhat lenient in this respect.
You may not know, but some rentals have differing protections to that of the retail version.
In order for James to respond appropriately. This info can be helpful.
But please note. This is not an open, free for all on the topic of rentals.
Many members may withhold their help in these cases.
Which is both, perfectly understandable & acceptable.
However we ask members not to flame users who mention rentals.
In particular folk new to the forum.
Hope this goes some way in clearing up the situation.
Thanks to you all for your input & understanding. :clap: :bowdown:

Well, it's an either/or proposition. Black or white. I have never heard of a country which approves stealing of copyrited materials. The statement that rentals have different protections is not relavant. It is still a rental. The "floodgates" are now offically open. :(:(:(

Well, it's an either/or proposition. Black or white. I have never heard of a country which approves stealing of copyrited materials. The statement that rentals have different protections is not relavant. It is still a rental. The "floodgates" are now offically open. :(:(

Time will tell.
But it is now open to abuse. That's for sure. :doh:
I do believe though that in some places. While perhaps not strictly legal (otherwise why have protections).
It is not illegal either. Again, strictly speaking.
For some there is still the moral aspect regardless.

Last edited:
As you undoubtedly know, belief and knowledge are not necessaarily the same thing.....

What the heck does "not strictly legal" mean? Does it mean it's legal if you do it and illegal if I do it????

This "slippery slope "has just gotten much steeper, IMO.

As you undoubtedly know, belief and knowledge are not necessaarily the same thing.....

What the heck does "not strictly legal" mean? Does it mean it's legal if you do it and illegal if I do it????

What I mean in my previous post is that there are no laws in relation to this subject (rentals).
Although I assume that there must be ownership laws etc. Otherwise it would be pointless in owning anything.
Whether an oversight or not.
Whether more pressure will arise with the greater monetary values. Resulting in a change in this area. Are yet to be seen.
So that is what I mean by strictly legal/illegal.
Probably a mere technicality. That sooner or later will be addressed.

Last edited:
For the record, I'm still not assisting people with rentals (unless that person makes it really, really clear what he or she is doing with them)--nor people who use burned copies as sources.

Last edited:

James claims that copying rentals is legal in Germany.

I've also been told it's legal in Amsterdam (Holland).

Whether that's true, I'm still not helping people with rentals. What others choose to do I suppose is their business.

For the record, I'm still not assisting people with rentals (unless that person makes it really, really clear what he or she is doing with it)--nor people who use burned copies as sources.

Same here. What I think zebadee is simply pointing out as well is those that have morals and don't condone this method to simply not post anything. As I was the first poster to reply to this thread that I doubt they'll get help but was removed for whatever reason since I said it politely. I'm not mad though it's the moderators job to see what needs removed.

Moderators do the Moderating

You are a Moderator correct?
So Moderate! (Thank Shoe)

I've read and re-read this post numerous times. The only way I can interpret your post is in a manner that I do not find acceptable. I'd advise you to engage your brain next time before posting something like this.

Decisions made by the Moderators and their actions are not up for debate.

So now talking about copying rental dvd's is acceptable?

Maybe its time to update the forum rules then.

By now the rules have been slightly changed for the reasons already given. Refer here (http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=108609&postcount=6).

Well, it's an either/or proposition. Black or white. I have never heard of a country which approves stealing of copyrited materials. The statement that rentals have different protections is not relavant. It is still a rental. The "floodgates" are now offically open. :(:(:(

In some countries it is apparently not illegal to copy rentals. Peoples' personal feelings about the practice don't matter.

Please do not get into a silly debate over wording. The rules are what they are. We don't all have to agree with them but Members do have to follow them. If you do not wish to offer a person assistance then don't.

I think zebadee did a pretty good job explaining things. Refer here (http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=108609&postcount=6) for the addition to the forum rules.

I am one of the Moderators who will not be assisting people with copying rentals or discs they do not own when and if they have any problems. Where I live it isn't legal to copy rentals and I find the practice unacceptable and wrong regardless of the laws where the person having a problem resides.

I have split the discussion of rentals away from the original thread about 27 Dresses. That thread already got cleaned up once. It has now been noted that the forums rules have been changed and explanations given as to why. The discussion about rentals is fruitless. I suggest people follow their own beliefs. If you don't wish to help someone then you do not have to but do not post in such threads saying people shouldn't be copying rentals.

There really isn't any purpose to leaving this thread open so it will now be closed. :policeman:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back