• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

CloneDVD Bad Media Error

4bainnic

I have been using Clonedvd2 and Anydvd for over a year. Recently around the 8th of April I started having problems burning backups of my movies. Everything seems to go okay but once it gets to the burning process it comes up bad media error. I have tried everything from different DVD+R disc's to replacing the burner and I am still having the same issue. I have also tried Dvd santa and that did not work as well. I have read all the post's and tried updating the firmware and setting the region. I have also reinstalled windows vista home premium thinking it may be a program issue. I am new to this forum and this is my first post. My computer is an xps 410, 4gb ram, vista 32bit home premium..dvd burner is Samsung tsstcorp...not sure of the rest I am not by my computer at this time. If anyone can help that would be great and if more information is needed please let me know. Help is very much appreciated. :)

I have been using Clonedvd2 and Anydvd for over a year. Recently around the 8th of April I started having problems burning backups of my movies. Everything seems to go okay but once it gets to the burning process it comes up bad media error. I have tried everything from different DVD+R disc's to replacing the burner and I am still having the same issue. I have also tried Dvd santa and that did not work as well. I have read all the post's and tried updating the firmware and setting the region. I have also reinstalled windows vista home premium thinking it may be a program issue. I am new to this forum and this is my first post. My computer is an xps 410, 4gb ram, vista 32bit home premium..dvd burner is Samsung tsstcorp...not sure of the rest I am not by my computer at this time. If anyone can help that would be great and if more information is needed please let me know. Help is very much appreciated. :)

Welcome to the forum! :)

Which versions of AnyDVD and CloneDVD 2 are you using?

Thank you for your response...I am using the Andvd 6.4.1.2 and Clonedvd 2.9.1.7. I do apologize I should have included that in my original post.

I thought that I would add one thing..I also have been noticing that I am able to burn backup copies of my movies when I first turn my computer on for the day. It seems to be able to burn one movie and then if I try to do another movie it comes up with bad media error. It is a real weird situation and I am really running out of options.

Thank you for your response...

You are very welcome! :)

I am using the Andvd 6.4.1.2 and Clonedvd 2.9.1.7. I do apologize I should have included that in my original post.

No problem... ;)

I thought that I would add one thing..I also have been noticing that I am able to burn backup copies of my movies when I first turn my computer on for the day. It seems to be able to burn one movie and then if I try to do another movie it comes up with bad media error. It is a real weird situation and I am really running out of options.

Very strange...
Do you have that problem with every movie you try to copy?
Did you install any software at around the 8th of April?
Is Windows Vista SP1 installed on your system?
Do you have any problems while creating an .iso-file with CloneDVD 2?

Could you please post a logfile from a movie that doesn't work (from: Found a new protection AnyDVD can't handle? Send the .ifo files to SlySoft!)?

Post the Anydvd zip file to the forums

a) Ensure Anydvd is running.
b) Put the problematic original movie dvd in your burner. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
c) Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
d) Select "Create Logfile"
e) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
f) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
g) Go to your My Documents folder
h) You will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f)
i) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif
(in other words, look for the paperclip after clicking "quote" or when creating a new thread)
j) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
k) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
l) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
m) click "upload"
n) Close the window. When you submit reply, or submit a new thread, the .zip file will be attached automatically for us to take a look at

Last edited:
Hello,

I have not installed any software recently. I am currently at work but when I get home this afternoon I will post the requested information. I reinstalled windows vista and the only programs on my computer is anydvd, clonedvd and avast anitvirus. I installed Nero Trail version last night to see if the software may be the issue but plan on uninstalling that ASAP if I cannot isolate the problem.

Hello,

I have not installed any software recently. I am currently at work but when I get home this afternoon I will post the requested information. I reinstalled windows vista and the only programs on my computer is anydvd, clonedvd and avast anitvirus. I installed Nero Trail version last night to see if the software may be the issue but plan on uninstalling that ASAP if I cannot isolate the problem.

O.K.
Please don't forget to post a logfile as described above.

Webslinger (moderator) should be online very soon and I am convinced he is able to give you more advice or even solve your problem.

Hello,

1. Always post log files as plato requested

2. Always state full error messages. State the full a)error message(s) you encountered (click "details"), b)tell us what program(s) you were using when you received the error message(s), and c) describe in detail what you were doing when you received the error message(s). What problem are you having exactly?

3. Check to see if there's an updated firmware version for your burner and your reader: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=12794&postcount=10

4. What blank media are you using? Specify a) brand name b)type (-R, +R, -RW, +RW, RAM, DL, etc.) c)media code, d) capacity/size, e) batch codes/serial codes (often found printed on the inner plastic hub of the blank disc), and f)country (factory information would be great as well, if possible) where the media was made (look on the physical packaging; do not rely on programs to accurately give you this information).

If you don't know how to obtain media codes, you may find the following programs useful:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com and http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

5. At what speed are you burning your blank media?

from Frequently Asked Questions (READ BEFORE YOU POST)

9. I'm getting Writedvd 10 11 W2 errors. Why?

a) Are you using junk blank media? If you're not using Taiyo Yuden (not Valueline), Verbatim,, or Maxell Broadcast Quality, then chances are the answer to this question is "yes". Stay far away from Memorex, Princo, Ritek, regular Maxell, Fuji, etc. that are not made in Japan.
For +R DL blank media use Verbatim (preferably made in Singapore) or MAM-A +R DL 8x only.
b) Click this and read FULLY (because the same advice applies)
c) Do you have Musicmatch Jukebox on your system? If so, click this
d) Remove packet writing software from your system (including Directcd, Incd, drag to disc, DLA, etc.)
e) Click this and read
f)
i) Ensure Anydvd is running.
ii) Put the problematic original movie dvd in your burner. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
iii) Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
iv) Select "Create Logfile"
v) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
vi) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
viii) Go to your My Documents folder
ix) You will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f)
x) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif
(in other words, look for the paperclip after clicking "quote" or when creating a new thread)
xi) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
xii) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
xiii) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
xiv) click "upload"
xv) Close the window. When you submit reply, or submit a new thread, the .zip file will be attached automatically for us to take a look at

Thank you Webslinger I will try the above and get that information back to you ASAP. I took a look at that post but was not sure if it was the same situation that I was having. I am using Sony 16x DVD+R discs and I am writing at maxium speed. I will attempt to get more details to you later. Thank you for you help it is very much appreciated.

Okay attached is the log file for the dvd..note that this is happening to everydvd that I try to backup. The exact error that I am getting is "Writing to media was not sucessful...media write error..a write error occured probaly caused by bad media please replace media and try again". I have tried other media types and this error still occurs. Using sony dvd+r ver 1.3/1x-16x. Below is the dvd info. As far as I know vista service pack 1 is not installed on my computer yet. I am burning at maxium speed, I will also try using slower speed. Firmware is up to date and region is set. I have no other packet writing software installed on my computer. I hope this information helps.

** INFO : Drive = TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653A - [FW D500] - [ATAPI]
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+R DVD+R-DL DVD+RW
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD-R DVD-RW
** INFO : Disc = [DVD+R:SONY-D21-000]
** INFO : Reference Speed : 1x DVD = 1385 kBps
** INFO : An Writeable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
Descriptor #1 = 22160 kBps (16.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 16620 kBps (12.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #3 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #4 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
** WARNING : MODE SENSE Is Obsolete And Not Always Properly Supported
Descriptor #1 = 22160 kBps (16.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 16620 kBps (12.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #3 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

* INFO : Hex Dump Of 'Media Code'-Block Listed Below
** INFO : 4-Byte Header Preceding 'Media Code'-Block Discarded
** INFO : Format 11h (Method 1) - ADIP Information
0000 : a1 0f 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 26 05 3f 00 00 00 00 .........&.?....
0010 : 00 00 07 53 4f 4e 59 00 00 00 00 44 32 31 00 38 ...SONY....D21.8
0020 : 23 54 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 #T..............
0030 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
0040 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
0050 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
0060 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
0070 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
0080 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
0090 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00a0 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00b0 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00c0 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00d0 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00e0 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

Attachments

• AnyDVD_Info_E_ACCELERATED_BODY_SCULPTING.zip
    33.9 KB · Views: 3
to add a couple things...I am certain that the media is not the issue here considering my wife was able to do a back up of her workout video this morning and I put that same movie in this afternoon and received the bad media error. I also tried burning at 4x and 8x..still not successful. :(

to add a couple things...I am certain that the media is not the issue here

Meaningless (concerning what your wife managed to do in the past)

Bad quality blank media can vary in results from disc to disc, even within the same spindle. With good blank media you can play "find the bad blank" game. With inferior quality blank media you get to play "find the blank that works" game. And even when inferior blank media does work, you can play the "will my backups still play after 6 months (or even after two years)" game.

1. Use good quality blank media.

DVD±Rs = Maxell Broadcast Quality Series 8x (not regular junk Maxells you find everywhere), Verbatim 8x & 16x, Taiyo Yuden (not Valueline) 8x

DVD+R DLs = Verbatim made in Singapore (not India), MAM-A 8x

2. Update to Vista SP1

3. Try a different burner (yours may be slowly dying)

Last edited:
Thank you for you help it is appreciated.

As noted above on my first post I bought a new burner and replaced my old one and the same error occured. I have also tried other media and received the same error.

Thanks for you help I am going to try a few other things to see if I have any luck.

Thank you I will try buying the media listed above and install SP1. :)

Just posting an update. I used the discs that you had mentioned above Taiyo Yuden and sure enough it worked right after the Sony disc came back bad media. I am really surprised as I have been using Sony discs for 2 years and had no problems. Thank you all for your help and I hope that this post can help other people that may be having the same issue.

Moral of the story...Used good quality media!!! 8)

Just posting an update. I used the discs that you had mentioned above Taiyo Yuden and sure enough it worked right after the Sony disc came back bad media.

<snip>

Moral of the story...Used good quality media!!! 8)

Thanks for posting the update and letting us know you resolved your problem. :)

Back