• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Anyone try converting DVD to a VCD

abmainkyakaron

I have the latest version of Clone DVD Mobile installed (v. 1.2.0.0).

I am trying to convert one of my NTSC-DVD (The Secret) to a PAL-VCD for an overseas friend to view. It seems that I am able convert the file but the resultant .mpg file is 900 MB.

How can I possibly get this on a CD which has a capacity of 700 MB?
I do not want to split up the file and burn the same on two CDs.

When the conversion process is taking place the size of the file can be varied according to the video quality. I tried saving the file in many sizes (695 MB, 650MB and 565 MB) so that it conforms with the CD capacity but the resultant .mpg file is always 900 MB.

Is there a bug in the conversion process that in spite of showing the smaller file size in the Clone DVD Mobile program, it ends up creating a much larger final file?

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong, or that I need another software to do this.

I have AnyDVD running on my PC and am using Clone DVD Mobile. Also, I have Nero to burn the CD. Would I need Clone DVD or Clone CD to accomplish my task?

I also tried using Nero to convert the DVD to a PAL DVD or a PAL VCD but had no luck.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Has anyone else tried such a conversion?

Thanks.

If you use Nero (that I know, others do it as well) you can use the Super VCD 2 format that takes up the full 800 Mb on your 700Mb disc, the real capacity. Just set it for the VCD output in CloneDVD Mobile (an mpeg DAT file) and then drop it into Nero Vision to create/burn the disc.
REMEMBER: Original copy VCDs tend to be 45-50 minutes per disc, most films being on 2 or 3 discs each. Setting a full-length film on a single disc is watchable when using the full 800 Mb, but that's the extreme of what you're going to want to do. Try using CDMs chapter function and setting about half the films chapters on each of two discs.

Thanks.
That is a good suggestion.

However, I am confounded by the fact that when using the VCD (PAL) setting I get a 900 MB file, regardless of the video quality setting on CDVDM.

I hope the boys at Slysoft can solve my problem with a update.
So far no success.

By the way any comments about whether the setting should be one pass, two pass, or three pass?

Hi abmainkyakaron.

However, I am confounded by the fact that when using the VCD (PAL) setting I get a 900 MB file, regardless of the video quality setting on CDVDM.

The VCD format uses MPEG-1 and requires a constant bitrate of 1.411.200 bps (bitrate of standard audio CD). There is no choise in video quality, so the only thing you might object about CloneDVD mobile regarding the VCD profile is the visibility of an useless quality slider.

When using the VCD format, the only solution for movies exceeding the maximum length for a single VCD of about 79 minutes (700 MB) is to split the movie into two parts by using the chapter splitting function in the title selection of CloneDVD mobile.

Please consider using the SVCD format instead. This format provides better video quality (MPEG-2) and allows variable video bitrates between 600 and 1500 kbps. There is a refining of the SVCD profiles which allow you to adjust the bitrate, you can use it to replace your current VCD profiles in the "Devices.ini" file in you CloneDVD mobile installations directory:

SVCD Profiles with Variable Bitrate

Greetings,
Joe

Back