• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Harry Potter - HD-DVD - Years 2,3,4 Wont Play

Rodster

I recently posted regarding the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player and using it on my Vista laptop, and had issues playing any HD-DVD movies, well it turned out it was WinDVD9, do I installed PowerDVD8 with HD-DVD support which has played all movies perfectly.

I recently purchased all 5 Harry Potter HD-DVD movies for around $AU9 each brand new, and for some strange reason PDVD8 plays Year 1 and Year 5 but the other 3 HP movies wont play at all - just a black screen and the status bar (blue) going along as normal - so no picture and no audio.

These are brand new discs, however I looked at the HD-DVD discs and they look as if they have an oily slick pattern to the data side - not clear and smooth like other discs - possibly a dud batch? I believe WB dont use region coding either, so this is not the problem.

How can I verify these are dodgy discs?

If the others work then I'd say those 3 are faulty, you could try copying the data to the harddrive to see if it will copy, if not then they are definitely faulty

If the others work then I'd say those 3 are faulty, you could try copying the data to the harddrive to see if it will copy, if not then they are definitely faulty

Sounds like crappy / if any Quality Control to me and Google indicates many people have had issues with the quality of HD-DVD discs as they are not as reliable as Blu-Ray, I also just installed Vista SP1 and no difference either - definately disc based issue - dud batch.

If the surface looks oily, try giving the discs a clean before replacing them: I've noticed that either the disc manufacturing process can leave a transparent film on the surface that affects playback, in some instances, or there is an oily residue on the inside of the cases (apparently a mold release compound) that may deposit on the disc surface too and cause issues.

Whilst it could be a faulty batch of discs, I find that if I get playback issues, a clean will sometimes fix it up.

If the surface looks oily, try giving the discs a clean before replacing them: I've noticed that either the disc manufacturing process can leave a transparent film on the surface that affects playback, in some instances, or there is an oily residue on the inside of the cases (apparently a mold release compound) that may deposit on the disc surface too and cause issues.

Whilst it could be a faulty batch of discs, I find that if I get playback issues, a clean will sometimes fix it up.

The pattern im describing looks like an oil pattern on a wet road and its rippled, ive never seen this on DVD / Blu-Ray so I suspect a stamping / burning issue. Will clean the discs and try them when I get home.

Back