• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DVDFab HD Decryptor and AnyDVD

cohiba

I have used DVDFab HD Decryptor for a long time now to rip my SD DVDs to my hard drive. It's great cause it removes copy-protection, and all the unneeded parts (except main movie and main soundtrack in my case) in one easy step.

I recently installed AnyDVD HD, and now every time I launch DVDFab, it gives me an error that I should remove it, as it can cause problems.

Until something else comes along that makes my DVD ripping even easier, I plan to continue using DVDFab. And AnyDVD appears to be a critical component as I move into ripping BR/HD, so I pretty much need both.

I guess the bottom line is this: Why is that error there, and if I can't get rid of it, can I at least safely ignore it?

Until something else comes along that makes my DVD ripping even easier, I plan to continue using DVDFab. And AnyDVD appears to be a critical component as I move into ripping BR/HD, so I pretty much need both.

No. You don't need both. Dvdfab HD Decrypter is both completely useless if you own Anydvd HD and also inferior, since dvdfab cannot decrypt on the fly.

I guess the bottom line is this: Why is that error there, and if I can't get rid of it, can I at least safely ignore it?

No. You cannot safely ignore it. Don't run both programs at the same time.

Last edited:
I recently installed AnyDVD HD, and now every time I launch DVDFab, it gives me an error that I should remove it, as it can cause problems.

Just to further clarify Webslinger's answer, no, you do not need to uninstall AnyDVD HD but when you are using DVDFab you need to disable AnyDVD HD by right-clicking on the fox icon in the systray and then clicking on Enable AnyDVD. When you are done doing whatever you need with DVDFab then re-enable AnyDVD HD.

Just to clarify this statement, no, you do not need to uninstall AnyDVD HD but when you are using DVDFab you need to disable AnyDVD HD by right-clicking on the fox icon in the systray and then clicking on Enable AnyDVD. When you are done doing whatever you need with DVDFab then re-enable AnyDVD HD.

Similarly, when using Anydvd, disable dvdfab. (i.e., don't have both programs running at the same time).

Don't use at the same time, but DVD Decrypter does install in a different folder, DVD Volume, and works for older disks

No. You don't need both. Dvdfab HD Decrypter is both completely useless if you own Anydvd HD and also inferior, since dvdfab cannot decrypt on the fly.

DVDFab has worked on every SD DVD I've tried it on, it's easy, quick, and the results are consistent. Since it removes copy protection during the rip, I don't care about on-the-fly decrypting of SD DVD material.

However...

If I can get the same or better result with AnyDVD HD, then I am all for dumping DVDFab. Please help me out--I can't figure out how to use AnyDVD to rip just the movie, DD or DTS soundtrack, and english subtitles, into a generic VIDEO_TS folder?

That is because AnyDVD does not do any of that. It will rip the entire movie to the HD if you want but you can not really do any editing of it.

My favorite combination is AnyDVD and DVDSrink. AnyDVD decrypts the disk an DVDSrink lets you edit all the stuff out and does a good job of recompressing it. I also own CloneDVD (SlySoft product) and it is very easy and works very well but I prefer the interface of DVDSrink and I think the recompression of DVDSrink (when you run a full anaylis) is a little better. I have run into some disks that DVDSrink can not work with (it is old and has not been updated in a long time) and in those cases I use CloneDVD.

Since it removes copy protection during the rip

So does Anydvd, but more importantly non-structural protections and region coding are removed without requiring you to rip.

I don't care about on-the-fly decrypting of SD DVD material.

You may not, but many of us here do. I do not want to rip first to use discs the way that I want to. If you wish to be forced to always rip first, that's certainly your choice. I prefer having more options.

If I can get the same or better result with AnyDVD HD, then I am all for dumping DVDFab. Please help me out--I can't figure out how to use AnyDVD to rip just the movie, DD or DTS soundtrack, and english subtitles, into a generic VIDEO_TS folder?

I think the question you need to ask is why do you need to. You can typically run another program with Anydvd running in the background without needing to rip first. But in answer to your question, Anydvd ripper rips the entire disc. It doesn't remove anything.

The great thing about Anydvd is that I don't need to rip first to do what I want. I can use Clonedvd, Clonecd, for example, or another program to accomplish what I want with Anydvd running in the background. Provided the original disc does not contain structural protection, you can also use Dvd Shrink with Anydvd running in the background to remove unwanted material. If you absolutely must use Dvd Shrink with discs containing structural protection, then you can rip first with Anydvd ripper--and then use Dvd Shrink to remove what you don't want.

The best options are listed in order:

1. The best way to rip using Anydvd is to use Clonedvd2 (if you want video files and not a sector 1:1 rip).
You select "dvd +/- R DL" near the quality bar in Clonedvd, and choose "dvd files" as the output method, if you
wish to use another program to transcode or encode. You can then import those files into another program if you wish.

If you can't or are not willing to do Step 1, this is how you rip using Anydvd:

2. You don't need to rip at all and can just directly import the disc directly into whatever burning application you want, provided Anydvd is running in the background. You don't necessarily need to rip first at all. Not having to rip first is one major advantage of using Anydvd. If the original disc contains structural protection, however, you may need to do step #3, depending on the program that you want to use.

3. If you can't get what you want using #1 and #2 first, then you right click on the fox icon on your toolbar and select "rip video-dvd to hard disk"--but only if methods 1 and 2 fail first. For more information click this please

Last edited:

If you feel happy with Decryptor then stick to it. But with AnyDVD, as Webslinger and others have mentioned, you can rip the DVD content to your HDD and then do what you want with it, i.e. burning or transcoding with the program you prefer.

Additionally it gives you protection on the fly, meaning that it will block any attempts from hidden executables in the DVD/CD from running without you noticing it. The on the fly option allows you to Backup/transcode/burn the DVD with the program you prefer, without first ripping.

The HD version helps with HD/BD/DB+ disks too.

I am not comparing and there is no need to start a discussion on the topic about which one is better, but if you ask me: pay for AnyDVD and forget about the rest.

Last edited:
I am not here to get into an debate about AnyDVD vs DVDFab either.

But when Webslinger said DVDFAb was "inferior" and "completely useless", I was genuinely interested why that was so. And to be honest, from the information so far (as far as I can tell), that does not appear to be the case at all.

AnyDVD is great, and I absolutely need AnyDVD HD for my BR/HD ripping. However, for SD DVD, although using DVD Shrink is an alternative (I love it too), using AnyDVD with DVD Shrink seems no *better* (or worse) than using DVDFab--if my intent is to rip just movie and soundtrack to the hard drive (no recoding or compression). I have been using DVDFab because it works by itself, and unlike DVD Shrink, it is still being developed.

To answer the question on why I "need" to rip it first? Cause I'm lazy--I am in the process of ripping everything. I hate putting in discs, I'd rather just click a few buttons to watch a movie. So I rip everything to my media server (unRAID) and watch from there. This is the most flexible solution for me.

So, in the end, although I didn't get the "why", the answer to my main question is simple: either use DVDShrink to rip the DVD, or disable AnyDVD while using DVDFab to rip. Fair enough. Thanks for everyone for their replies.

But when Webslinger said DVDFAb was "inferior" and "completely useless", I was genuinely interested why that was so.

I stand by my comments. With dvdfab HD decrypter, you can either rip with dvdfab or . . . that's it. Given that with Anydvd HD I can accomplish more than what dvdfab can, I do not have dvdfab HD decrypter installed on any of my computers; that program is a waste of space since I own Anydvd. So, you can also add "waste of space" to my claims. I know some people use both just in case one program fails on the launch of a new dvd, the other program is there as a backup, but since Slysoft always addresses problems, I still stand by what I wrote.

That said, I do know many people here have both programs installed on their computers, and I certainly don't fault them for that.

using AnyDVD with DVD Shrink seems no *better* (or worse) than using DVDFab--if my intent is to rip just movie and soundtrack to the hard drive (no recoding or compression)

To me, that's fairly limited functionality, but to each his or her own. I'm glad I don't ever have to rip first to accomplish what I need. But if I do have to, Anydvd also provides me with the capacity to do so. Anydvd simply does more as a decrypter than dvdfab does. Consequently, I stand by my comments that dvdfab is inferior and completely useless if one owns Anydvd; Anydvd doesn't limit me to using one ripping interface or UI as a front end. A number of programs work with Anydvd running in the background. With dvdfab I'm forced to use, well, dvdfab. Dvdfab doesn't help me when I want to watch original discs on my computer from other regions. (Dvdfab also doesn't help me with anything involving HD-DVDs and Blu-ray, but you were just talking about Anydvd, right--and non Anydvd HD; I have no idea what "HD" is doing in the title of DVD HD Decrypter.). Dvdfab doesn't offer subtitle transparency on the fly when I want to watch dvd movies. Dvdfab does not decrypt on the fly, allowing me to use almost any other program I want--faster for almost all releases (with the exception of some of the newer Sony/Lionsgate/New Line/Alliance releases and some discs containing newer structural protections; and for that Anydvd ripper since 6.1.4.2 now provides full disc backups with Shrink). The fact is Anydvd is the most versatile decrypter available to the Windows OS despite its small size and the tiny amount of system resources it uses.

either use DVDShrink to rip the DVD

Only if the original disc doesn't contain structural protection. . . click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=3992 .Otherwise, if you use Anydvd in isolation, you will be required to use Anydvd ripper first (and then use Shrink on that rip to remove unwanted material). If you use Anydvd with discs containing structural protection, Clonedvd is a better choice for ripping than Anydvd ripper or Shrink (since it's faster than Anydvd ripper, can handle structural protections unlike Shrink so there's no need to rip first with Anydvd ripper, and can remove audio, etc).

Anyway, if you wish to continue to use dvdfab HD decrypter, that is certainly your choice. However, provided you own Anydvd, you certainly don't need to.

Last edited:
You are bound and determined to turn this into a one vs the other, aren't you? :D

My only (and last) rebuttle, which is confirmed by your comments, is that for *my* SD DVD ripping needs, AnyDVD by itself is decidedly inferior to DVDFab. Therefore, I stand by my comment that the claims of "useless" and "inferior" are a bit too subjective.

I am not trying to debate that DVDFab isn't very limited (it is), or that AnyDVD isn't more flexible, and packed with a bunch more functionality (it is). I am very very very very very very very excited about AnyDVD!!!! :bowdown: I friggin' LOVE IT!

I just wanted to know if I could ignore the error message... ;)

You are bound and determined to turn this into a one vs the other, aren't you?

My only (and last) rebuttle, which is confirmed by your comments, is that for *my* SD DVD ripping needs, AnyDVD by itself is decidedly inferior to DVDFab. Therefore, I stand by my comment that the claims of "useless" and "inferior" are a bit too subjective.

I am not trying to debate that DVDFab isn't very limited (it is), or that AnyDVD isn't more flexible, and packed with a bunch more functionality (it is). I am very very very very very very very excited about AnyDVD!!!! I friggin' LOVE IT!

I just wanted to know if I could ignore the error message... ;)

Fair enough. :agree: My apologies if I offended you in any way

Drinklyeanddie actually has dvdfab installed on one of his computers, and I don't insult him . . . much. ;) :D (just kidding DL&D)

Back