• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

question

dgrd1701

Sorry for newbie question, but I'm new to Blu-ray. Does Nero remove protections or do we still need AnyDVD HD running while Nero is copying?

PS. It seems most people on this forum play the Blu-ray movies from a hard drive instead of a backup Blu-ray disk, why is this done? If very many Blu-ray movies are collected, ripping to a hard drive would take a huge amount of disk space.

Sorry for newbie question, but I'm new to Blu-ray. Does Nero remove protections or do we still need AnyDVD HD running while Nero is copying?

Nero won't remove protections. AnyDVD HD must be running.

PS. It seems most people on this forum play the Blu-ray movies from a hard drive instead of a backup Blu-ray disk, why is this done? If very many Blu-ray movies are collected, ripping to a hard drive would take a huge amount of disk space.

Do me a favor...give me 2 prices. Price per gig for hard drives and price per gig for blank BD media. Then you'll have your answer.

Blank Blu-ray media

Thanks for the reply. Right now Blu-ray media is very expensive, but I'm hoping that will change over the next 1-2 years. Standard def DVD media was very expensive (and unreliable) at first too -- admittedly not as expensive as Blu-ray media is now.

That's why we use hard drive backups for now. Once the media is cheaper, then we'll deal with burning. Some of the people here are burning things. So we know the concept is sound. Also, one more thing to consider...Right now we don't have a method for removing crap like ads and other useless nonsense to shrink things down a bit. (I'm NOT talking about transcoding video or reencoding it. JUST content removal). Until that's possible, I have no interest in burning as I won't have the backups I want. Not going to waste money burning something that's not perfect.

most do it probably cause no one wants to pay 8-80 bucks a blank
and take the big risk of it screwing up and there goes the one disc and that money in the trash, second allot of people like to have there movie like they do there music and photos all on there computer, HDD's are the cheapest per GB and unlike Cd's u can use almost ever GB u paid for, and with the + of being able to make changes to you media is a big +

example underdog was 28 GB U need a 50 GB disc to burn it u paid for 50 GB and only used 28 witch is like 1.80 per GB used while HDDs are what 17 cents a GB?

example underdog was 28 GB U need a 50 GB disc to burn it u paid for 50 GB and only used 28 witch is like 1.80 per GB used while HDDs are what 17 cents a GB?

Prime example of why I want an app to clean things up and remove trailers and other stuff. If you could eliminate a couple audio tracks and trailers, you could possibly get it down to 25 gigs for a single layer burn.

Prime example of why I want an app to clean things up and remove trailers and other stuff. If you could eliminate a couple audio tracks and trailers, you could possibly get it down to 25 gigs for a single layer burn.

yeah you likely could, witch is what I do with DVD myself.;) but I think that was the smallest DL disc for BD I ever seen this far.

yeah you likely could, witch is what I do with DVD myself.;) but I think that was the smallest DL disc for BD I ever seen this far.

Yup, I do it with DVD's, too. Of course, I haven't bought any DVD's in quite some time. :D Nonetheless I've seen other discs that could PROBABLY fit if you remove enough crap from them.

Yup, I do it with DVD's, too. Of course, I haven't bought any DVD's in quite some time. :D Nonetheless I've seen other discs that could PROBABLY fit if you remove enough crap from them.

yeah some of them have 16+ gb worth the features and stuff above the movie

I ripped Across the universe 45GB BD down to 26 GB that was keeping the main movie only and removing all the audio tracks except for the best quality one in English saved over 16 GB

yeah some of them have 16+ gb worth the features and stuff above the movie

I ripped Across the universe 45GB BD down to 26 GB that was keeping the main movie only and removing all the audio tracks except for the best quality one in English saved over 16 GB

Yup. Some day we'll get all fancy with fast machines and transcoding engines and all that fun stuff. Right now I want the very basics. Allow me to cut out stuff and not break everything and I will be a very happy boy.

Blu-ray burning

On a fast machine, how long would it take to shrink a ripped movie to fit on a single layer disk (re-encoding)? I'm still learning how the different Blu-ray setups work, but I like the simplicity of just dropping in a Blu-ray disk into a player and playing in on my almost new Samsung DLP. I don't really want to build another computer just to play Blu-ray movies. The current computer in the room with the HDTV is on a computer desk 25 feet away. I've got a VGA PC cable connected to the HDTV now for slide shows, and it may work with AnyDVD and Blu-ray movies now, but I haven't tried it yet. Sound is potentially a bigger problem. I'm not sure how to pipe the sound across the room to the HDTV (add an HDMI card to the computer?). I've got a 5yr old old receiver that handles 6.1 DTS, but I don't know if it will work with Blu-ray movies.

Last edited:
Back