• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

BD ISOs not playing in PDVD 8 (no problem at PDVD 7)

spcav

Beta Tester
OK, I know that the whole thing with BD ISOs has been discussed a lot but I am facing this strange problem:

I have many BD movies ripped to folders for about 1,5-2 years now.

Most of them have been ripped with AnyDVD HD (various versions over the last 1,5 year).

I am using imgburn (2410), magiciso or Nero to create ISOs from these folders and then I mount the image with daemon tools or magiciso.

I read SamuriHL’s guides and I can say that I couldn’t find something I am doing wrong.

All ISOs created are working fine with PDVD 7 but almost all of them do not work with PDVD 8.

I get either a message ‘no disc in drive’ or ‘unsupported disc format’.

In some cases playback starts but I get only a black screen (the counter keeps going on).

In some rare cases the intro of the movie (the first clip of the studio’s intro) may appear normally but then I get the black screen (as above).

In very few cases (1-5%) the ISOs are playing with no problem.

Please note that the above happens even with very recent movies (0-2 weeks old which have been ripped with the latest version of AnyDVD HD).

Enabling or disabling AnyDVD HD during ISO creation and / or mounting / playback doesn’t change a thing.

The strange thing is that I read that people over the net don’t have the same problem (at least not regarding latest rips).

When I am following the same procedure but ripping again an original disc the ISO is playing normally with PDVD 8.

I suspect that there is something wrong with the structure of the folders / iso which in only ‘bothering’ PDVD 8 and not 7. This assumption is based on the fact that, as mentioned above, I am getting 4 different types of errors when I am having the problem (‘no disc in drive’, ‘unsupported disc format’, black screen, in some rare cases the intro of movie (the first clip of the studio’s intro) may appear normally but then I get the black screen (as above)).

I just read this http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=15871 and I am wondering if this could the problem (although in PDVD 7 everything is OK). I am not at home right now so I cannot test it.

Any thoughts on the above would be highly appreciated.

PS I mainly tested under WinXP.

Last edited:
OK, I know that the whole thing with BD ISOs has been discussed a lot but I am facing this strange problem:

I have many BD movies ripped to folders for about 1,5-2 years now.

Most of them have been ripped with AnyDVD HD (various versions over the last 1,5 year).

I am using imgburn (2410), magiciso or Nero to create ISOs from these folders and then I mount the image with daemon tools or magiciso.

I read SamuriHL’s guides and I can say that I couldn’t find something I am doing wrong.

All ISOs created are working fine with PDVD 7 but almost all of them do not work with PDVD 8.

I get either a message ‘no disc in drive’ or ‘unsupported disc format’.

In some cases playback starts but I get only a black screen (the counter keeps going on).

In some rare cases the intro of the movie (the first clip of the studio’s intro) may appear normally but then I get the black screen (as above).

In very few cases (1-5%) the ISOs are playing with no problem.

Please note that the above happens even with very recent movies (0-2 weeks old which have been ripped with the latest version of AnyDVD HD).

Enabling or disabling AnyDVD HD during ISO creation and / or mounting / playback doesn’t change a thing.

The strange thing is that I read that people over the net don’t have the same problem (at least not regarding latest rips).

When I am following the same procedure but ripping again an original disc the ISO is playing normally with PDVD 8.

I suspect that there is something wrong with the structure of the folders / iso which in only ‘bothering’ PDVD 8 and not 7. This assumption is based on the fact that, as mentioned above, I am getting 4 different types of errors when I am having the problem (‘no disc in drive’, ‘unsupported disc format’, black screen, in some rare cases the intro of movie (the first clip of the studio’s intro) may appear normally but then I get the black screen (as above)).

I just read this http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=15871 and I am wondering if this could the problem (although in PDVD 7 everything is OK). I am not at home right now so I cannot test it.

Any thoughts on the above would be highly appreciated.

PS I mainly tested under WinXP.

im not sure your exact problem because i use windows vista and i dont know if that makes a difference cause all my BD movies work just fine with PowerDVD 8 but i havent heard that there has been a problem playing BD with Version 7 and not with 8 unless you might have changed something in the settings of powerdvd. you might even need to update your drivers. are you sure you have anydvd hd enabled during playback?

what version of powerdvd 8 are you using is it a beta, ultra or the delue version which doesnt play Bluray ?

Thanks for the response but if you read my post you will see that the problem is only BD ISOs and only with PDVD 8 (Ultra of course).

Thanks for the response but if you read my post you will see that the problem is only BD ISOs and only with PDVD 8 (Ultra of course).

im not sure what to tell you then maybe SamuriHL is out there and he can shine some light on the subject;)

Please don’t misunderstand this but I am quite familiar with PDVD, AnyDVD HD, drivers and in general with HD playback, so I don’t think that there is an issue there.

The ‘’problem’’ seems to be the ISO building / structure or something like that especially related with PDVD 8 and not 7.

Please don’t misunderstand this but I am quite familiar with PDVD, AnyDVD HD, drivers and in general with HD playback, so I don’t think that there is an issue there.

The ‘’problem’’ seems to be the ISO building / structure or something like that especially related with PDVD 8 and not 7.

i understand that completly its just weird that your movies play in 7 but not in 8 i dont get that at all

Are your ISO all in UDF 2.50?
Are these random errors on the same title or are random titles giving random errors?
I have seen some of the errors you described in PDVD Ultra 7
the cause is usually cause power DVD needs to be updated
since you say it's happening with new titles, this could be why.
then again if they play in 7 and not 8 8 may have a bug to be worked out with them titles,
Also another cause maybe the region code, one disc of mine did this awhile back I riped with automatic region code removal and wound up with a disc that did nothing but loops and black screen, I have noticed that powerdvd is rather unstable from time to time, and when they do Finlay fix 1 problem they tend to create 5 new ones, "Just what it feels like sometimes"
other then that I don't know sorry:(

starz,

Are your ISO all in UDF 2.50?
Are these random errors on the same title or are random titles giving random errors?
I have seen some of the errors you described in PDVD Ultra 7
the cause is usually cause power DVD needs to be updated
since you say it's happening with new titles, this could be why.
then again if they play in 7 and not 8 8 may have a bug to be worked out with them titles,
Also another cause maybe the region code, one disc of mine did this awhile back I riped with automatic region code removal and wound up with a disc that did nothing but loops and black screen, I have noticed that powerdvd is rather unstable from time to time, and when they do Finlay fix 1 problem they tend to create 5 new ones, "Just what it feels like sometimes"
other then that I don't know sorry:(

starz,

that a good point to what did you set the region to in powerdvd 8, at the begining when you install it it asks you what region you want and you have up to 5 times to change it are you sure sure you set it to the right one also im sure the UDF is set to 2.5, it has to be if it plays in 7

Yes, the strange thing is that there is no problem in 7, only in 8.

All ISOs are in UDF 2.5 of course.

These random errors come from almost all titles. Each title gives the same (possibly different than other ones) error all the time.

I am using the only PDVD 8 Ultra version available (the first one officially released). Not any beta etc.

I think that the more ‘clean’ way is to make the ISO with AnyDVD HD disabled (aka no region coding removal there).

During playback, I tried changing regions from AnyDVD HD but without success.

Last edited:
Yes, the strange thing is that there is no problem in 8, only in 7.

These random errors come from almost all titles. Each title gives the same (possibly different than other ones) error all the time.

I am using the only PDVD 8 Ultra version available (the first one officially released). Not any beta etc.

I think that the more ‘clean’ way is to make the ISO with AnyDVD HD disabled (aka no region coding removal there).

sorry im a little off this morning and i didnt follow, are you saying when you made the ISO that you had anydvd hd disabled or enabled also check the region settings of powerdvd like i said above

sorry im a little off this morning and i didnt follow, are you saying when you made the ISO that you had anydvd hd disabled or enabled also check the region settings of powerdvd like i said above
I am saying that the ISO making procedure was done both with AnyDVD HD enabled and also disabled.

The same stands for playback.

Yes, the strange thing is that there is no problem in 8, only in 7.

you said it was power dvd 8 that had the problem up at your first post
:confused:

you said it was power dvd 8 that had the problem up at your first post
:confused:

thats why im think its a region setting with powerdvd 8 and if thats the case he just need to go into the setting and chage that other then that i dont see what the problem is because its not the ISOs
because they play fine in version 7

thats why im think its a region setting with powerdvd 8 and if thats the case he just need to go into the setting and chage that other then that i dont see what the problem is because its not the ISOs
because they play fine in version 7
could be but what I meant earlier was with region settings in anyDVD removing the region code incorrectly from the disc during the rip

could be but what I meant earlier was with region settings in anyDVD removing the region code incorrectly from the disc during the rip

thats a good point to none the less im sure its a region setting somewhere because he ripped everything properly so its either with anydvd or powerdvd

you also mentioned creating ISO with Nero and imgburn and something else is it possible to pinpoint ur problematic ISO to a any particular one of your ISO creation programs?

I think i found the solution:

As mentioned in another forum (don't know if it is a good idea to post the link):

- in Root you also need a CERTIFICATE folder containing BACKUP folder
- in BDMV you also need a BDJO, JAR, and META folder
- in BACKUP you also need a BDJO folder

So all these folders seem to be necessary for normal BR playback in PDVD 8 while 7 seems not to care.

I think that some of ''folder'' rips don’t include all these folders so this could make sense.

I will try and revert

I think i found the solution:

As mentioned in another forum (don't know if it is a good idea to post the link):

- in Root you also need a CERTIFICATE folder containing BACKUP folder
- in BDMV you also need a BDJO, JAR, and META folder
- in BACKUP you also need a BDJO folder

So all these folders seem to be necessary for normal BR playback in PDVD 8 while 7 seems not to care.

I think that some of ''folder'' rips don’t include all these folders so this could make sense.

I will try and revert

everytime i make an ISO i rip the whole disc i dont take out any folders which could be a reason to why mine work and his dont unless thats what spcav did and in that case were back to square one

Back